Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Dispute on credit card charge, who to call at United?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dispute on credit card charge, who to call at United?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2017, 6:16 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by docbert
How is a $1500 charge that you were "never told about" and didn't "distinctly authorized" not "entirely wrong"?
Because the agent may have said you need 40k more miles and you agreed with this statement, but didn't understand that in order to secure the 40k extra, more miles needed to be bought. While it would have been ideal for the agent to confirm with you that this will cost you $1500, the agent may have assumed that you knew you needed another 40k and interpreted your assent to using another 40k as agreement to purchase them. I don't know, I wasn't there. But this situation is more of a he says she says than the situation where the 40k purchase was gratuitous because the PAX already had them at the ready.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by seenitall
Because the agent may have said you need 40k more miles and you agreed with this statement, but didn't understand that in order to secure the 40k extra, more miles needed to be bought. While it would have been ideal for the agent to confirm with you that this will cost you $1500, the agent may have assumed that you knew you needed another 40k and interpreted your assent to using another 40k as agreement to purchase them. I don't know, I wasn't there. But this situation is more of a he says she says than the situation where the 40k purchase was gratuitous because the PAX already had them at the ready.
Unless the agent explicitly states "we will charge your card for $1500", how could it possibly be authorized?
Old Jul 9, 2017, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Unless the agent explicitly states "we will charge your card for $1500", how could it possibly be authorized?
How should this be different than at any other merchant? Even at a car dealership, the service department verifies what is going to be charged/authorized before putting through the charge.

Heck, even the emergency room vet has you agree as to the base charge before the paperwork is completed.

IIRC, aren't telephone charges subject to different rules than card swipe transactions, according to the merchant manual?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, AA, Hilton, Priority Club, USAir, American Express Membership Rewards, Ultimate Rew, United
UPDATE ON THE ORIGINAL POST: Finally after three weeks, United contacted my son. Apparently the pulled the tapes and realized that he never authorized the charges. They were very apologetic. They refunded the $4800 and straightened out the balance in his United Mileage account. Needless to say, he is very happy to have this all behind him.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:34 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by Carter29072
UPDATE ON THE ORIGINAL POST: Finally after three weeks, United contacted my son. Apparently the pulled the tapes and realized that he never authorized the charges. They were very apologetic. They refunded the $4800 and straightened out the balance in his United Mileage account. Needless to say, he is very happy to have this all behind him.
Great outcome! And thanks for the follow-up!
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:04 pm

never would have bet on this outcome. is every single phone call recorded?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know it is too late for this thread but a way to avoid this in the future if the name change was done on the marriage license you could carry a copy of the marriage license that shows the name change as it would show both names. Might still get hassled when trying to return home but I have been told this by passport issuing agencies as to what to do as I had the same situation when I got married. Though got the info before heading to airport. It is common to have a name mismatch right after a wedding when people go on their honeymoons.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, AA, Hilton, Priority Club, USAir, American Express Membership Rewards, Ultimate Rew, United
Originally Posted by elbejt2
I am pretty sure that every phone call is recorded. I am so glad in this case.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good news.

Out of curiosity and not to take away from the outcome but what would he have done if he knew during the call that it would have cost $4800? Look for alternative transportation home?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TomMM
Good news.

Out of curiosity and not to take away from the outcome but what would he have done if he knew during the call that it would have cost $4800? Look for alternative transportation home?
If you recall, this all happened when he was leaving to GO to London so he had not left town yet. He was at our home airport.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:35 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Great outcome! And thanks for the follow-up!
+1

is every single phone call recorded?
Would not be surprised. Perhaps more surprised if it's not.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 3:47 pm

Thomas Stenson

Booked a flight on 06/09/2021 for $267.80 with charges of $18.00 and $12.00. These charges were duplicated on my credit card statement.
[personal information removed]

Last edited by l etoile; Jul 8, 2021 at 4:13 pm
Old Jul 8, 2021, 4:13 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Thomas Stenson
Booked a flight on 06/09/2021 for $267.80 with charges of $18.00 and $12.00. These charges were duplicated on my credit card statement.
[personal information removed]

I’m sure that’s frustrating. We are simply a bulletin board of frequent flyers. You won’t reach United through us. We can give suggestions though. Twitter is often a good way to reach UA for issues like this. Do not include your personal info in your initial tweet. They will contact you to DM that privately. Good luck!
Old Jul 8, 2021, 4:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, Thomas Stenson
Originally Posted by Thomas Stenson
Booked a flight on 06/09/2021 for $267.80 with charges of $18.00 and $12.00. These charges were duplicated on my credit card statement. ...
Are these pending or posted? (a month later these are likely posted)
Were these seat fees? And did you change the seat after purchasing?

Did you happen to use Travelbank funds?
Old Jul 8, 2021, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Yes, according to a CS rep that I recently talked to. I made a strident complaint by sending an email to the head of CS for my CC. Oddly enough, she personally called me and went over the transcripts on 3 different calls to the CC CS line. She said that their agents were completely in the wrong with their actions and were also rude. She even gave me monetary compensation after fixing the problem, which was totally unexpected and very much appreciated.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.