Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Connection time/logistics/lounges - Domestic & International at MEX

Consolidated Connection time/logistics/lounges - Domestic & International at MEX

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 7, 17, 12:23 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 6, 14, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-Plat AS-MVPG
UA to Aeromar connection in MEX question

An upcoming trip will take me through MEX
IAH -> MEX on UA and MEX -> SLP on Aeromar. (I didn't wan't to take the late night direct flight and have to sit around in Houston most of the day with nothing to do)

I see that UA comes into T1 and Aeromar departs out of T2 and there is a post security train (from what I can figure) that takes pax from T1 to T2. I can't seem to find if there is a bag drop off and security check that I can go through post immigration to get to the train between T1 and T2 or am I going to have to do some taxi shenanigans?

I do have almost 3 hours to make the connection. Just wondering if anyone has a recent experience or any pointers. Thanks
Old Mar 6, 14, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA*G, AA, DL, Sixt, HH, SW & Red Roof Inn!
I've flown to MEX many times and made several connections, but they were always in the same terminal. There is a train that runs between both terminals that is post immigration. You don't have to get a taxi, just walk to the train depot and take the train over. Though you will have to check in at T2.
Old Aug 30, 14, 2:41 am

Programs: AA EXP; UA1k; B6 Mosiac; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire
UA to LH Connection at MEX

How much time is needed for international connections at MEX? My inbound flight arrives 1918 (UA 821 from SFO) and outbound is LH 499 leaving at 2040, both from the same terminal.

But the on time statistics for UA 821 are a bit scary - 50% on time, average delay 21 minutes.

Anyone has experience with this? Should I just cancel and book an earlier SFO-MEX flight ?

Thanks.
Old Aug 30, 14, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unless something has changed in the last year, in MEX you must clear customs/immigration even for int'l - int'l connections, which can take some time at that time of night.

I hate to be stuck in MEX (poor lounges), but if you need to make that flight to FRA, note that you are cutting it very close.
Old Aug 30, 14, 5:28 am

I'm not familiar with any in transit areas in any Mexico airports.

Why on earth would you connect through Mexico City on a flight from San Francisco to Frankfurt?
Old Aug 30, 14, 5:30 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Hammer0425 View Post
I'm not familiar with any in transit areas in any Mexico airports.

Why on earth would you connect through Mexico City on a flight from San Francisco to Frankfurt?
F award on the 748?
Old Aug 30, 14, 7:45 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by JVPhoto View Post
F award on the 748?
OP must be really desperate to fly that F award.

Originally Posted by 1k650 View Post
Anyone has experience with this? Should I just cancel and book an earlier SFO-MEX flight ?
Not sure what your intention is with SFO-MEX-FRA, but the only other SFO-MEX flight is a brutal 4h red-eye, which gets you in at 5AM. And of course, you can always transit IAH to get to MEX.

And as others have noted, you'll need to do the immigration dance in MEX.
Old Aug 30, 14, 11:17 am

Thanks a lot. I will take an earlier connecting flight, but it is still brutal.

Long story how I ended up in this predicament. I was supposed to be in MEX a few days earlier, but the trip got cancelled.

I guess I could take a cab to the historic center on a long layover. By what time should I be back for my LH flight ? Is 1.5 hours enough ?

What is the best lounge at the airport?

Last edited by 1k650; Aug 30, 14 at 12:19 pm
Old Aug 30, 14, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks a lot. I will take an earlier connecting flight, but it is still brutal.

Long story how I ended up in this predicament. I was supposed to be in MEX a few days earlier, but the trip got cancelled.

I guess I could take a cab to the historic center on a long layover. By what time should I be back for my LH flight ? Is 1.5 hours enough ?

What is the best lounge at the airport?
AAdmirals Club is best, but the United Club is actually a bit better than most domestic ones, though still poor.

You can take the metro/subway into town - it is actually not bad.

I love Mexico City.
Old Aug 30, 14, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
AAdmirals Club is best, but the United Club is actually a bit better than most domestic ones, though still poor.

You can take the metro/subway into town - it is actually not bad.

I love Mexico City.
Thanks. At what time should I plan to come back for the 8:40 PM LH flight?
Old Aug 30, 14, 2:45 pm

Programs: TK G,UA *S
If you want to get to the lounge also around 6.30 pm would be a good hour in my opinion
Old Aug 30, 14, 2:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS 75K; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by hirohito888 View Post
OP must be really desperate to fly that F award.
I don't see how it's any worse than connecting in YYZ, which is done all the time to snag LH J/F (or even AC J). Or IAD or EWR for that matter. YYZ is a considerably longer flight from SFO, so that would balance the extra time at MEX for immigration/customs.

And it's only slightly worse than connecting in YVR, DFW, or the various other cities that are known for LH F availability.

I would definitely consider an MEX connection next time I'm looking for LH F.
Old Aug 30, 14, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. At what time should I plan to come back for the 8:40 PM LH flight?
Originally Posted by flymexico2010 View Post
If you want to get to the lounge also around 6.30 pm would be a good hour in my opinion
I agree - 6:30p is best.

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I don't see how it's any worse than connecting in YYZ, which is done all the time to snag LH J/F (or even AC J). Or IAD or EWR for that matter. YYZ is a considerably longer flight from SFO, so that would balance the extra time at MEX for immigration/customs.

And it's only slightly worse than connecting in YVR, DFW, or the various other cities that are known for LH F availability.

I would definitely consider an MEX connection next time I'm looking for LH F.
Me too. Although I love the Maple Leaf Lounge in YYZ and find connections easier than MEX, I would not hesitate to connect in MEX if the fare/award space warranted.
Old Aug 30, 14, 5:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
FWIW, DFW joined SEA and DEN among the ranks of cities that lost LH F
Old Sep 1, 14, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by flymexico2010 View Post
Don't care for the lounge - would rather spend more time in the city...

I guess if I am already checked in and have no bags, would a 7 PM return be cutting it too close? I have never traveled through MEX so do not know how efficient/inefficient it is.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: