FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Consolidated MEX connection time/logistics/lounges-Domestic&International-UC reopened (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1852269-consolidated-mex-connection-time-logistics-lounges-domestic-international-uc-reopened.html)

bmvaughn Jan 2, 2012 10:36 pm

Consolidated MEX connection time/logistics/lounges-Domestic&International-UC reopened

Looking at Wikipedia, appears that United departs from T1 in MEX (confirmed by looking at the Flight Status pages), however the United Club is listed on the United site as being in the "New Terminal" (http://www.united.com/page/article/0,,52704,00.html), which one has to assume is T2 that opened in 2008 and not T1 that opened in 1958.

Do we actually have to use the Aerotren to transit between terminals to go between the club and the gate?

emcampbe Jan 2, 2012 10:54 pm

I was there around Thanksgiving, and UA club and gates were in the same terminal, I think, or at least you had the ability to walk behind security. No train needed, though it is a bit of a walk from the club to the gates, and there is some (or at least was) some construction. The club is on the second or third floor, and you definitely have to walk through a dingy hallway that kind of seems like you're in the back of the mall or something to get to/from. Club is a little small, but was fine, and wasn't crowded - though I was there for a 6 or 7 am flight.

WillFlyer Jan 2, 2012 11:18 pm

The "New Terminal" statement on that page is definitely wrong. =)

The new terminal is T2. UA and now CO operate from the older terminal (T1). The United Club is opposite the Admirals Club on the 3rd floor of T1. It has indeed been recently refurbished and it is nice. The front desk staff are eager and friendly. Self-serve liquor was available when I was last there a few months ago.

As mentioned by emcampbe, the club is a long walk from the gate and stairs that you use to get there are scary. =)

gonezen Jan 3, 2012 5:21 am

Confirmed. I was there New Year's Eve for a 7:30 am ORD flight and the club is in the same terminal as the gate, which was gate 21. It was a bit of a hike up to the club, two flights, elevator broken and down again, ditto. The walk could be much longer potentially since when you look down the terminal as you walk to gate 21 it seems to go on forever in the distance. Club wasn't fancy but adequate. Furniture and work areas are adequate. Booze, sandwiches, toast items, yogurt, fruits, coffee/latte machine and so on. They did make flight boarding announcements. Overall, worked out good. Btw, I thought it was the new terminal, at least parts of what I walked through, not the access area to the club. Everything is well signed at any rate, you won't get lost.

UA-NYC Jan 3, 2012 5:59 am

Definitely old terminal, have been in both in the past year. I'd say it's a 10 min walk between. Kind of fun to go outside and see blue sky in order to get to the lounge!

bmvaughn Jan 3, 2012 12:10 pm

Looks like CO moved from T2 to T1 late last year...

At Mexico City airport, Continental has moved operations from Terminal 2 to Terminal 1. Check-in counters for both Continental and United, along with the United Club, are now conveniently located next to each other in Terminal 1.
http://mileageplusmergerupdates.com/...rger_MO_110629

HeadInTheClouds Jan 4, 2012 6:26 am

CO definitely has completed the move to T1 - it was merged w/ the UA counter a few weeks ago when I went through.

Great club and great staff - absolutely one of the best. The one gal who works there has been there for as long as I can remember and is truly one of UA's best reps in the system.

Only issue there is the constantly problematic wi-fi - especially if you're on the "first class" side and not the "star-gold/RCC" side. At least on the "star gold" side you can sit at the desks and pick up the AA signal. I've actually left and gone to the AA club on my last three visits due to the inability to get the wi-fi to work.

joel67 Jan 4, 2012 7:48 am

Given the few flights United had left through the airport (at least pre-merger when I was last there), it surprised me to discover such a nice club.

I've also been surprised to find that if you don't pay attention to the right signs, it's perfectly possible to bypass immigration and customs entirely when connecting to a domestic flight. It does get a little awkward, though, when you check-in for the return and don't have the arrival card. :)

bmvaughn Jan 4, 2012 8:02 am

Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds (Post 17744179)
CO definitely has completed the move to T1 - it was merged w/ the UA counter a few weeks ago when I went through.

Great club and great staff - absolutely one of the best. The one gal who works there has been there for as long as I can remember and is truly one of UA's best reps in the system.

Only issue there is the constantly problematic wi-fi - especially if you're on the "first class" side and not the "star-gold/RCC" side. At least on the "star gold" side you can sit at the desks and pick up the AA signal. I've actually left and gone to the AA club on my last three visits due to the inability to get the wi-fi to work.

Curious how there's a First Class side? Aren't all of the United flights to Mexico marketed with Business and no First?

flugvergnugen Jan 4, 2012 8:51 am

Originally Posted by joel67 (Post 17744580)
I've also been surprised to find that if you don't pay attention to the right signs, it's perfectly possible to bypass immigration and customs entirely when connecting to a domestic flight.

No longer possible - they've modified T1 so that arriving and departing passengers are now segregated. So if you now arrive from abroad you are automatically funneled to immigration.

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Curious how there's a First Class side? Aren't all of the United flights to Mexico marketed with Business and no First?

Yeah, "International Business". I'm pretty sure the continued existence of the "F" side is because LH uses it - in the olden days there was a SEN lounge outside of security, but no longer.

bmvaughn Jan 4, 2012 3:51 pm

FYI, UA Insider is looking into this and plans to have the nomenclature fixed.

^

UA-NYC Apr 19, 2012 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by bmvaughn (Post 17748372)
FYI, UA Insider is looking into this and plans to have the nomenclature fixed.

^

Flying out of MEX tomorrow morning and needed to refresh my memory which one UA flies out of (know its T1, the older terminal). Lounge page still lists the UC as the "new terminal". Oops.

halls120 Apr 19, 2012 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds (Post 17744179)

^^ the staff at this club is excellent. The club is small, but comfortable.

UA-NYC Oct 20, 2012 7:32 am

Anyone hit the club in MEX lately? Last time I was there, they had closed off that exit that takes you outside, up the ramp, and up to the club - like they were totally demolishing & renovating that area...needless to say, no access.

mpeterson78 Dec 2, 2013 2:55 pm

I was just there yesterday. It took me a while to find it, as I assumed the entrance would be on the concourse near the departing gates. Walked up and down the concourse looking for the club until I finally found an airport employee who knew where it was.

Directions for newbies:
After passing through the duty free mini-mall after security, immediately after going down a short set of stairs/ramp, and before arriving on the G concourse, you have to veer to the left and look for the signage for "VIP Lounges". Then you climb two flights of stairs to find the entrance to both the United and AA club. You never go outside, it is all indoors. There are two sides to the United Club, one side overlooking the tarmac and one side overlooking the interior of the airport.

I was there for breakfast; they had bagels, waffles, cookies, fruit, and yogurt. They also had a coffee machine, bottled water, orange juice, sodas, and self-serve beers and liquor. The staff there were helpful, and the wifi worked fine.

Took about 5 mins to walk to my gate (Gate 24, flying to IAD).

Hope this helps someone else and prevents them from getting lost like I did!