Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Phones "disappearing" into lie-flat seats: Experiences, Recoveries, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Phones "disappearing" into lie-flat seats: Experiences, Recoveries, ....

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2017, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I think it's been at least 20 years that I've known that the coefficient of friction between almost everything and the shelf it's put on during take-off is just about zero. If one sits in the back of the cabin, you can see the heads moving down at the same time as everyone tries to catch their stuff with seatbelts inhibiting their success.

The interaction between an object's inertia relative to a plane's acceleration is not a Polaris problem. The disappearing act might be.
Old May 10, 2017, 10:35 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
On TK 2 years ago, on our way back from IST, a gentleman placed his tablet on the footwell of the lie flat seat. First time, one of the male FA's were able to find it. The second time(He didn't learn the first time NOT to put the tablet on the same place.) it was gone somewhere deep inside the seat that 2 male FA's literally took the seat apart and still could not find it. They had to give up and took down the passengers information.

It seems that once tablets go inside the business class seats, they get transported to another reality.
Old May 10, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: Delta Plat, UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by itsMoe
My first Polaris seat experience, I unwisely left my tablet on the shelf under the monitor. During the takeoff roll, the tablet flew out, slipped under my seat - and was never seen again.

After landing, a mechanic and two FAs took the seat apart - nothing. It's gone. I've filed a report with lost and found, but am not too hopeful.

Anyways, there's just enough room underneath the seat for a tablet to slide in, but not enough for even a small hand to fit, so be careful.
anything that drops in a plane during take off is gonna be fun to find. Even in a 737, people leave their phones on the middle armrest- it falls and slides alllllll the way back till it hits luggage or the back wall.
Old May 10, 2017, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Michael D
It just a flat shelf. What did you expect?

My nephew lost his iPhone and they delivered it to his hotel after he lost it in one of the 'older' lie flats.

Did you have "Find my iPhone" activated?

Given many Polaris customer's predilection to stealing anything new or shiny, equipment hiding the iPad might not be the only problem.
It's an Android tablet, but that's besides the point - I paid attention to the announcements and put it into airplane mode prior to takeoff. The tablet has no connectivity to anything, so "find my tablet" is only going to kick in if and when someone finds it and connects it to the internet.
Old May 10, 2017, 10:59 am
formerly bulgarianfreak55

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hertz Pres
Hmm, yea sitting at 9A, there is a lot of real estate behind you that the tablet could've floated to.
Old May 10, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zrs70
Polaris seat or not, United or other, this is common in business class.
Also Polaris seat or not leaving this unsecured during takeoff or landing is just asking for them to go flying. No pun intended.
Old May 10, 2017, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Madone59
Also Polaris seat or not leaving this unsecured during takeoff or landing is just asking for them to go flying. No pun intended.
Yeah no excuses here, this was my own stupidity. I placed the tablet there briefly when I started settling in so that I could take some pictures of the seat in a "pristine" condition, and then forgot about it - until it came shooting towards me with impressive force.
Old May 10, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by itsMoe
...until it came shooting towards me with impressive force.
At least it wasn't a beverage cart
Old May 10, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Emirates' new A380 safety video includes a part about not trying to retrieve one's electronics if they fall into the seat but to rather seek assistance from a cabin attendant. Guess this is becoming a common issue. Once had to dig around an EY F Apartment for my phone emthat I dropped! Into the seat. Mechanic arrived just as I managed to drag it out with the coat hanger from the wardrobe.
Old May 10, 2017, 12:59 pm

Storing stuff on that shelf before take-off is about as big a rookie move as openly challenging Michael Jordan before a game was.
Old May 10, 2017, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Emirates' new A380 safety video includes a part about not trying to retrieve one's electronics if they fall into the seat but to rather seek assistance from a cabin attendant. Guess this is becoming a common issue. Once had to dig around an EY F Apartment for my phone emthat I dropped! Into the seat. Mechanic arrived just as I managed to drag it out with the coat hanger from the wardrobe.
Emirates' First suite managed to eat a pair of my jeans. They dropped behind the seat, and I ran them over when I put it into the lie-flat position. Talk about pre-stressed denim... loads of rips and tears in them afterwards.
Old May 10, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I once woke up to find my phone fairly deep into the middle fold point of the sCO lie-flat seat.. no idea how it got there but I was a little panicky until I was able to fish it out. Also reminds me of one time on a 737 when a guy in row 1 dropped his tablet on the floor right when we started our roll. He was looking around for it when we reached 10,000' but eventually an FA came back with it from the last row of the aircraft!
Old May 10, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Dropped my phone in the seat on an AI 787 from HKG-ICN last year. The first officer came out, took the seat apart rather nonchalantly, and retrieved it. I asked him, and he said he has to do this a couple of times a week. Given the number of announcements about it I've heard across airlines, it's clearly remarkably common.

I'm pretty paranoid since that experience - phone in hand or pocket until we're up, and then in a secure compartment.
Old May 10, 2017, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
So common it was part of a UA safety announcement on a 739, which doesn't even have powered seats in F.
Old May 10, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Not sure about the 773's, but on the PMCO 772 lay flat seat there's a gap on the side of the seat. You really shouldn't have anything (keys, change, etc.) in your pockets that could fall out while in the lay flat position, as it can disappear through that gap and require the same taking apart of the seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.