Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines apologizes after giving away toddler's seat

United Airlines apologizes after giving away toddler's seat

Old Jul 5, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: United, BA, FlyingBLue, AA
It's way past time for United's board to get rid of Munoz - he is far worse than Smisek. His skills at running a freight railroad are just not what is needed for a major airline, which caries actual people, who ought to be treated differently than cargo.

According to news reports, to add insult to injury, the passenger was treated "rudely" bu United personnel.

The personnel who handled this ticket mishap ought to be immediatly fired.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr

I am by no means "victim blaming", but it sounds like this mother was not willing to speak up for herself and let the FA/GA know the full extent of what was going on. Sure, UA screwed up in the first place by not scanning the boarding pass of the child correctly. BUT doesn't she have the responsibility to let them know a mistake is happening and have it rectified when it can be fixed. Sitting silent, or not pursuing it with the FA because you are "scared" sounds a little melodramatic to me...
Not when you've recently seen what UA will do to you if you object.

As to putting the burden on the women, it is not her job to know airline and FAA rules. After 19 years as a Premier Exec. or 1K, I fired UA in April 2014 and haven't looked back. Way too many complete incompetents and employees who don't care. I found that some employees went out of their way to antagonize customers -- I've never seen anything like it.

A lot happier since I left.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by Duke787
Let me know how that turns out for you next time. In our post-9/11 climate where disobeying the actions of the crew is literally a federal crime, I'm sure it'll turn out well for you.

I'm a white male and in almost all circumstances I take the shut up and complain about it later approach for fear of being slapped in handcuffs and dragged to jail because some power tripping crew member decides I'm a threat.
Did you miss the part where the toddler not only had his own ticket but it wasn't even optional as the age was over two? Are you aware it is a violation of FAA regulations for a passenger over the age of two to sit on someone else's lap? How absurd must crew "instructions" get before you say no? If the crew tells you to open the exit door while we're taxiing out to the runway ("just to make sure it works, don't toss it out, just open it and then shut it closed"), would you do it?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
TL/DR Frontline employee made an oops. Probably not the current CEO.

Much of the inappropriate behavior by crew is (unfortunately) not specific to United, and not due to current leadership. It can take time for bad behavior to be unlearned.

Although I'll be the first to admit the previous CEO was not my favorite, it seems like the current leadership has better intentions. This is an unfortunate incident, but think that we should cut the C-Suite some slack this time.

After all, have you ever worked in an institution where a frontline employee made a customer service gaffe? Would not be the first time.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
[Off-topic material removed by moderator. ]

The issue at hand in this case was that the toddler's ticket was not scanned and the flight attendant ignored the mother and essentially forced her to waste $1,000 on a seat to be occupied by someone else and violate FAA regulations in process because the toddler was too old to sit on his mother's lap. That is a FACT.

Last edited by l etoile; Jul 5, 2017 at 5:09 pm Reason: Off-topic material removed
Old Jul 5, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by JonathanK81
The problem with both of your posts is, we don't know. Yes, chances are she wouldn't be thrown off. But are you telling me you know 100%, that had she spoken-up, she wouldn't have been tossed? That's the issue at hand. There have been passengers on other flights that have been kicked out without even being confrontational. You're thinking like a rational human-being, the sad part is, a lot of what's going on with these flights, the employees haven't acted rational. That, or they simply don't care. Take your pick.
Agreed; each situation can be different. I had been "hinted" once to be removed from the flight because a FA said my digital camera was an electronic device that needed to be shut off prior to take off. Keep in mind neither the magazine nor the safety video indicated my camera would be subject to be turned off; however the FA was adamant.

I disregarded the initial request because I thought it was not a valid request. When the FA came around the cabin a second time and made the request, I pointed out that it wasn't identified in any safety material. I made the statement in a conversational, reasonable tone and did not indicate any sense of confrontation to the FA.

Despite my efforts, I was informed that I was beginning to appear like I was going to be problematic for the flight crew and if I had to be told again, the captain would get involved and I would likely be off the flight.

This is power-tripping that I hate. However, was it worth my time to argue over such a trivial thing? No. I needed to get to my destination and it wasn't worth the the fight. But I can totally see how it is possible to be put in a situation where you just choose not to make an issue of it.

This is where I get frustrated with stories that have partial information and people run with it in these threads. The "threat" to cancel the rest of her tickets probably happened when she landed at her destination and was looking for compensation and/or addressing the situation that happened on the plane (since it was not done effectively on the plane). I don't think it happened during or before the flight.

That part of the story is as light on facts as the rest. Timing of the discussion regarding a refund and possible cancellation of the rest of the itinerary is absolutely relevant to the story and needed for clarity.

If you or I went to the customer service desk and demanded a refund for our flight in the middle of travel, the process probably involves cancelling the rest of the itinerary. It is not a threat, just the reality of doing it in the middle of travel. Again, probably a miscommunication between the pax and whomever she talked to in CS (either on the ground or on the phone).
While we don't have all the facts of the story; and from both sides, I think it is plausible that the passenger did make the case or explain the issue, and the CS agent (regardless whether it was middle of travel or not), just gave a stock answer and chose not to factor in the whole situation. Throughout the day, the CS agents are in scenarios where a majority of issues are mundane complaints or problems, and they rely on the rules and policies to help get them processed. However, I would have hoped this scenario stood out and would have had the CS agent take notice and try to get it resolved.

The response kind of reminds me of the video where the man got knocked out in front of the UA counter, yet not one UA employee came up to assist or determine what had happened.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Maybe United & CNN could go in together and create an ethics department...LOL
Old Jul 5, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Am I the only one who thinks the standby passenger is kind of a jerk? The FA might have picked up on the fact that this was a duplicate seat assignment issue in need of resolution if this guy had chimed in during her complaint instead of booting the kid out of his seat and settling in. I know there's no way United can avoid selling tickets to jerks, but it really would be nice if people could be a bit nicer to their tube-mates.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by zymm
Am I the only one who thinks the standby passenger is kind of a jerk? The FA might have picked up on the fact that this was a duplicate seat assignment issue in need of resolution if this guy had chimed in during her complaint instead of booting the kid out of his seat and settling in. I know there's no way United can avoid selling tickets to jerks, but it really would be nice if people could be a bit nicer to their tube-mates.
Yes, it's possible that he understood what was happening & kept quiet so he could make the flight, but it is also possible that he did not realize that he was taking the child's paid for seat at the beginning. If he was not paying attention to the Mother and FA's interaction and/or the interaction did not convey the situation effectively, then he may have been oblivious to how things were actually going down. Any by all accounts it sounds to me like it was a fare paying standby (as opposed to a nonrev). The $75 figure is being reported as what the seat was "sold" for. That would be the fee for a Silver or Kettle would have to pay as a standby.

I know I would feel like poo if I was the standby pax and realized the true nature of what had transpired halfway thru the flight. Of course, I would like to think I would have been paying more attention and picked up on the mothers predicament. I would have sought out the FA/GA and seen myself out. It would have been the right thing to do.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 6:12 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
TL/DR Frontline employee made an oops. Probably not the current CEO....
Disagree with that. Munoz is popular with many UA staff because he reflexively supports them, right or wrong. We saw that in the Dr. Dao incident.

The result is that it enables and abets the worst tendencies of the employees -- not that they need much enabling.

Am I the only one who thinks the standby passenger is kind of a jerk?
That was my first thought too. I don't know how anyone could be completely unaware of what was going on. I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts it was a NRSA (United employee).
Old Jul 5, 2017, 6:30 pm

Yes, it's possible that he understood what was happening & kept quiet so he could make the flight, but it is also possible that he did not realize that he was taking the child's paid for seat at the beginning. If he was not paying attention to the Mother and FA's interaction and/or the interaction did not convey the situation effectively, then he may have been oblivious to how things were actually going down. Any by all accounts it sounds to me like it was a fare paying standby (as opposed to a nonrev). The $75 figure is being reported as what the seat was "sold" for. That would be the fee for a Silver or Kettle would have to pay as a standby.
I so badly want to believe what you're saying, but if he was a Silver especially, that means he's flown enough to know what's going around you. I cannot believe the mom didn't say a word to him about taking the child's seat. Plus, he couldn't possibly have not noticed her and the FA. Again, all fully possible, just in my mind not believable. When I fly, I try to be aware at all times, just in case. I know that sounds horrible, and makes me sound like a nutcase, but I like to know what is going on. I just make sure I'm aware in case something goes awry.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 6:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Do we know whether the standby guy was a nonrev?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by porciuscato
Disagree with that. Munoz is popular with many UA staff because he reflexively supports them, right or wrong.
The first job of a leader is to support the team. The second job is to admit when wrong with first job.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 6:41 pm

Programs: 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do we know whether the standby guy was a nonrev?
If he paid $75 he was not a NRSA, but, as mentioned above, likely a non- or low-status revenue passenger.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 6:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Aren't there cases where a nonrev (not necessarily NRSA) pays something to fly?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.