Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines apologizes after giving away toddler's seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines apologizes after giving away toddler's seat

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:09 pm
dtc

Programs: Restarting life as UA newb; AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
But seriously, {the} crazy idea that Asians will be targeted and hauled off every flight if they speak up instead of being obedient little robots is ridiculous.
That's the reputation that United has created for itself in the Asian community (especially amongst Chinese WeChat users). You could argue that its fake news, that the data doesn't support it, but that's the perception ... and for the mass public, perception = reality.

(That's why "Teach the controversy" disinformation campaigns works so effectively.)

That's what bean counter types never grok about the value of brands

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 5, 2017 at 12:17 pm Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
I am by no means "victim blaming", but it sounds like this mother was not willing to speak up for herself and let the FA/GA know the full extent of what was going on...
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
{the} crazy idea that Asians will be targeted and hauled off every flight if they speak up instead of being obedient little robots is ridiculous. The woman was being too passive...
When United's brand rep is such that any passenger is legitimately afraid to interact with crew to resolve a safety issue -- let alone defend his/her rights -- United has a serious problem.

None of us are in a position to judge this woman. But I know what it means to think twice about initiating contact with a United employee seen lashing out at innocent customers.

United created this perception crisis and it doesn't wash to tell scared passengers to get over it. How about if United does something about it?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Scott Kirby and Oscar sure know how to ruin, err, I mean "run" an airline.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I saw her interviewed on local news this morning. Personal opinion, she is milking this to the extreme - she was is being way over the top dramatic.

If she couldn't handle the kid on her lap, she could've gotten off of the plane.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 2:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ecofreak
this is clearly an issue beyond poor CS.
Don't the UA or outsourced employees handling complaints have rules that when they receive something mentioning certain serious issues, such as safety violations, that the complaint is sent to some more senior person with better judgment?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
If she couldn't handle the kid on her lap, she could've gotten off of the plane.
Wow.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 2:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Moderator Note

Please discuss the issue, not the other posters. Disagreement is fine and expected but no personal attacks.
The FT rules are clear and these attacks have been and will be removed
12.1 Friendly, Respectful and Welcoming

FlyerTalk is a community and is intended to be a friendly, helpful and collegial place.

Please post in a friendly, respectful, welcoming manner. 'Snarky,' unfriendly posts will not be allowed. If you don't have something constructive to contribute to a thread, please do not post.

12.2 Avoid Getting Personal

If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.
Additionally let's stay on the posted topic. OT items have and will be removed.
5. Stay on topic

FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting.
WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jul 5, 2017, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I saw her interviewed on local news this morning. Personal opinion, she is milking this to the extreme - she was is being way over the top dramatic.

Even if so, the fact that UA would allow something illegal that violates FAA regulations and is dangerous, and that that's the "solution" UA found is extremely troubling
Old Jul 5, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
UA is in the tanks and leadership does not know how to change the moral of the company. I am sure glad I am 100% google flighting (needs a better phrase to replace kayaking) nowadays. Just gave some money to F9 and WN.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: 1K---2,909,450 BIS miles
As some have indicated, "She's out for the money!"

Well I say --- GOOD, and I hope she gets a bundle! Are people really supposed to feel sorry for UAL, especially after these continual/inconsiderate/repetitive incidents?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 5, 2017 at 3:03 pm Reason: Stay on topic please
Old Jul 5, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Even if so, the fact that UA would allow something illegal that violates FAA regulations and is dangerous, and that that's the "solution" UA found is extremely troubling
Meanwhile, they've boxed themselves in by committing not to deboard passengers. Having cleared the standby pax into a not actually empty seat they were a bit stuck - couldn't kick him off either (which, of course, is what they should have done - "I'm sorry, sir, but we miscalculated that the seat was available, and you'll be first on standby list on next flight".
Old Jul 5, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Washington Post also carrying this now. Best line I saw in the article was this from United:

A United spokesman told The Post that the airline would compensate Yamauchi “as a goodwill gesture”
Goodwill gesture?!?! What???

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.6c372ba4c8bf
Old Jul 5, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
The child is +2 yo, and cannot legally fly on the lap.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 5, 2017 at 3:05 pm Reason: Removed responded to deleted content
Old Jul 5, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Maybe we should have a master thread "United Airlines apologizes after..."

Old Jul 5, 2017, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by blueman2
Washington Post also carrying this now. Best line I saw in the article was this from United:

Goodwill gesture?!?! What???

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.6c372ba4c8bf
I didn't see this comment until reading the article

“I was told if we refund you anything right now, we’re going to have to cancel the rest of your flight arrangements to Hawaii,” she told KITV.
The comments about the Dao incident are secondary to this. No wonder she didn't protest any further. Canceling the return trip as "punishment"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.