Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines apologizes after giving away toddler's seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines apologizes after giving away toddler's seat

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:58 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
I'm sure issues like this and similar happen on a fairly frequent basis on airlines all over the world. The thing that determines whether this is just a minor issue or front page news is what happens after the issue is brought to everyone's attention. This is where UA seems to fail spectacularly more than most.

Is it lack of training (i.e GAs and FAs don't know what to do)? Is it poor policy (i.e. GAs and FAs do not have the freedom/flexibility to fix things on the fly)? Is it some bad employees (i.e. they don't really care)? Is it some combination of the above? I have no idea.

This is where UA needs to devote it's efforts. While obviously airlines would prefer if there were no issues ever, that's clearly unrealistic, so they should focus on what to do when these issues arrive. Handle them properly, the passenger will barely remember it (or might even remember it in a positive light), handle it poorly and you (UA) get to read about it on social media and in media stories.

Also, get new PR staff, really UA you would be doing yourself a favor. With all the incidents that have happened in recent months, has there been a single one where the PR statement hasn't made things worse?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, Hertz Pres Circle
A simple question from the FA would have saved everyone a lot of grief: "Do you have a boarding pass for your child?"

While I have a great deal of respect for FA's carrying out a difficult job, situations like this leave me wondering if the crew's focus on pushing back from the gate on time gets in the way of basic common sense and better cabin awareness.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:02 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
I am by no means "victim blaming", but it sounds like this mother was not willing to speak up for herself and let the FA/GA know the full extent of what was going on. Sure, UA screwed up in the first place by not scanning the boarding pass of the child correctly. BUT doesn't she have the responsibility to let them know a mistake is happening and have it rectified when it can be fixed. Sitting silent, or not pursuing it with the FA because you are "scared" sounds a little melodramatic to me...
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
I am skeptical in terms of what actually transpired on board the plane. Playing the race card and calling back on the Dao incident sounds like coached behavior i.e. they're out for money.
Originally Posted by minnyfly
I'll remember this if one day I have a child just over two years old! Now that I think about it, this is a great opportunity to game the system. Buy a separate ticket for the child, state that he's a lap child at the gate, and hope that the seat is filled by a standby once onboard. If that happens, then document what you have to and complain later to the media later that you were wronged. Profit!

Uh, that's a gain of $1,000 when you complete your travel and then are refunded. Sounds like she gained more than $1,000 in this situation. Heck of a payday.
It is all the passenger's fault and if that is not the ticket for you, then the passengers are plotting to rip off United. Shadows of Jeff's comment about ending the "excessive" compensation UA was handing out when things went wrong still permeate United's toxic culture.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 2:21 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I always find it amazing to see apologism and/or victim blaming in situations like these. This is squarely the fault of the carrier and their staff.

Originally Posted by madein808
http://m.hawaiinewsnow.com/hawaiinewsnow/db/330510/content/lGge5Z6X

Apparently the only the mom's ticket scanned at the gate. Passenger who took the toddler's seat paid $75.
Do you really believe that? She said she scanned both. The GA would have had to see the 2 BPs and made sure both scanned.

Originally Posted by LordTentacle
I would have asked the FA to get the gate agent and produced the kids boarding pass and told the other passenger to get stuffed (in nice terms)
You would have. This is a tiny person who just saw a man beaten severely for daring to stay in his ticketed seat that he had been boarded for.

[OT response removed by moderator]

Originally Posted by joshwex90
What did it mean that the standby passenger sat in the center?

Anyways, UA should refund both tickets. The toddler because he didn't get his seat. The mom paid for a service she didn't get - she didn't pay to have to hold a 27 month old for the flight. Oh, and throw in the $75 standby to them as well.
The passengers had booked a window and middle. The standby got the center seat.

Originally Posted by NH_Clark
Thank the unions. They keep these select few bad apples in place.
Ah yes, it wouldn't be a FT post without improper and inaccurate deflection toward organized labor and away from extremist corporatism.

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I saw her interviewed on local news this morning. Personal opinion, she is milking this to the extreme - she was is being way over the top dramatic.

If she couldn't handle the kid on her lap, she could've gotten off of the plane.
Dude, seriously?

Originally Posted by nwff
If he paid $75 he was not a NRSA, but, as mentioned above, likely a non- or low-status revenue passenger.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Aren't there cases where a nonrev (not necessarily NRSA) pays something to fly?
He could have easily been a NRSA, or could have been a paid standby.

Originally Posted by halls120
While I use the electronic BP, this is why I always print a paper BP upon arrival at the airport.

Always.
Yeah, unless I'm running late, I always like to go to the counter and get a BP to go with the phone one.

Last edited by l etoile; Jul 6, 2017 at 7:54 am Reason: OT
Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by minnyfly
Uh, that's a gain of $1,000 when you complete your travel and then are refunded. Sounds like she gained more than $1,000 in this situation. Heck of a payday.
The $1000 was the refund. She's getting the price of the kid's ticket she wasn't allowed to use anyway plus a travel voucher.

It's got to be a pretty nice travel voucher to seem like a worthwhile payday.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 5:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by mauve
The $1000 was the refund. She's getting the price of the kid's ticket she wasn't allowed to use anyway plus a travel voucher.

It's got to be a pretty nice travel voucher to seem like a worthwhile payday.
That is what she was looking for... I'm sure she was hoping for a bigger payday when she went public. Another money-grabber looking for her 15min of fame. Not afraid to use her kid as collateral.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:15 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by FWAAA
You know how flight attendants are always blathering about the potential $11,000 fine they can face from the FAA if they don't enforce the rules? Well, UA has admitted that the FAs on this flight violated an FAA regulation that requires that all passengers must have their own ticketed seat once they reach their second birthday. The entire crew should be fined $11k each for their incompetence. If they can't be trusted to enforce this regulation, which others aren't these safety professionals enforcing?
This is the only relevant piece of information. It is a violation of FAA regs to have a lap child over the age of 2. UA has a manifest with a list of the passengers' names and ages. UA employs GAs, FAs, and supervisors, who have a duty to comply with the FAA regulations and with UA's own policies. This is a complete failure of the GA and FA.

The GA had lots of opportunities to get this right, for instance they could have come on the plane and looked for the empty seat, and upon seeing it filled, inquired whom the passenger was (I have seen this happen many times). Or, they could have come on the intercom and asked the missing passenger to press his call button if he was present (again, common practice). The GA could have simply looked at the manifest and seen that the passenger who hadn't boarded was a child, but the rest of his party had boarded-- that should have set off suspicions. The FA could have asked to see BPs when informed of the seat dup, or the FA could have called the GA to compare the manifest to the actual passengers in the seat. All of these opportunities would have avoided this safety problem, and all were (apparently) missed.

Sure, the mother should have spoken up, and it sounds like she did and was dismissed. But fundamentally it isn't the passengers' job to straighten these things out. The passenger is the one paying UA to operate the service in accordance with the rules. I know we are all seasoned travelers and would like to think that things would have been different if we had been there (and they probably would have), but this causes us to miss the point sometimes.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by N1120A
I always find it amazing to see apologism and/or victim blaming in situations like these.
FT is not a fair cross-section of public opinion.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:59 am

You would have. This is a tiny person who just saw a man beaten severely for daring to stay in his ticketed seat that he had been boarded for.
Oh no, a tiny person. My heart bleeds. There's a good chance the FA she's dealing with is also a 'tiny person'. What does that have to do with anything? Would a 'big person' have a better chance of not getting kicked off the plane? I've seen a lot of questionable service conduct by FAs of different airlines but never did I wonder "Can I take this FA in a fight?" (as if it makes a difference either way). If that's your approach, maybe you have a problem.

Also she didn't 'just see' this incident. She perhaps saw it on the news 3 months ago. And it was an incident that wasn't all that similar to this one. For most people not gripped easily by public hysteria flying hasn't changed since then.

Nobody disputes UA staff made a mistake. That's obvious. What we say is that it was made a huge deal by this woman's apparent lack of effort to resolve her situation before the flight. And whether it's 'fair' or not, in these situations - on any airline - *you* have to make sure your issue is resolved. In a situation where a small number of staff have to take care of several dozens of people (and the logistics of commercial airplane operations) it's quite likely they will not be able to pay sufficient attention to your issue unless you make them.

The number one customer mistake is to assume that staff are magically aware of all issues surrounding the customer's situation and that there's no need to effectively communicate all the relevant aspects to the staff. This often leads to a breakdown in communication and then if things go predictably wrong 'It's their fault! I want my money!'
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)

Nobody disputes UA staff made a mistake. That's obvious. What we say is that it was made a huge deal by this woman's apparent lack of effort to resolve her situation before the flight.
The onus of enforcing FAA safety regulations does NOT fall on the passenger, nor is it reasonable to expect they know all the rules.

None of us know to what extent she tried to rectify the problem before departure, nor is it relevant.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:40 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Oh no, a tiny person. My heart bleeds. There's a good chance the FA she's dealing with is also a 'tiny person'. What does that have to do with anything? Would a 'big person' have a better chance of not getting kicked off the plane? I've seen a lot of questionable service conduct by FAs of different airlines but never did I wonder "Can I take this FA in a fight?" (as if it makes a difference either way). If that's your approach, maybe you have a problem.

Also she didn't 'just see' this incident. She perhaps saw it on the news 3 months ago. And it was an incident that wasn't all that similar to this one. For most people not gripped easily by public hysteria flying hasn't changed since then.

Nobody disputes UA staff made a mistake. That's obvious. What we say is that it was made a huge deal by this woman's apparent lack of effort to resolve her situation before the flight. And whether it's 'fair' or not, in these situations - on any airline - *you* have to make sure your issue is resolved. In a situation where a small number of staff have to take care of several dozens of people (and the logistics of commercial airplane operations) it's quite likely they will not be able to pay sufficient attention to your issue unless you make them.

The number one customer mistake is to assume that staff are magically aware of all issues surrounding the customer's situation and that there's no need to effectively communicate all the relevant aspects to the staff. This often leads to a breakdown in communication and then if things go predictably wrong 'It's their fault! I want my money!'
What she did, she felt right to do in the moment. I'd have acted differently. As things stand though, bottom line, UA messed up, both with the passenger and the law. They gotta pay.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mauve
If pay you $1000 for something, and then you take it back and return my $1000, I don't gain $1000. I break even. Actually, I'm behind since I just wasted my time.

This sounds very much like the argument I've seen here that I should be grateful to take the cash downgraded from F to Y, even if it's less than the fare difference if I booked Y originally.
......and in the meantime, you've given the airline an interest-free loan of a thousand dollars.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
......and in the meantime, you've given the airline an interest-free loan of a thousand dollars.
Hopefully this lady will be made whole plus interest plus a LOT more!
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Well, according to the Federal Aviation Administration Order 8900.1, volume 3 (general technical administration), chapter 33 (cabin safety and flight attendant management), section 6 (safety assurance system: operations - cabin safety), the rule is

So yeah I guess I would sit with a 2+ year old in my lap for $1000; 27 months seems fine; but not during taxi, takeoff, landing because I have this ridiculous belief that American airline passengers should comply with FAA rules, lol
So would you have the standby passenger sit in the lavatory for taxi, takeoff, and landing?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
It should be to the point where United immediately fires every employee who causes a negative headline for their company. It's only a matter of time before even their heaviest routes begin to result in empty airplanes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.