Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

IRROPS, SDC, and Mileage Upgrade Instruments

Old Jul 4, 17, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, TK Gold, Marriott Gold

Hi all,

Flying back to the states today from Heathrow to Minneapolis, originally via IAD. IAD flight posted a 2hr delay overnight which would've caused me to miss my connection. UA proactively put me on an 8am IAD-MSP flight the following day, but there were numerous options via IAH and ORD. The catch - I had upgraded into R with miles + copay and there was now no R space available.

I couldn't change online (system only saw the first flight, I assume because the new IAD-MSP flight was the following day) so called in. I knew they wouldn't open up R on the new flight, but was surprised when the agent told me because of the schedule change they couldn't honor the upgrade and that miles + copay would be most likely redeposited. Is this right? Should I HUACA? The new routing is booked in Y vs. my original K fare, does that change things?

I also have a (close to zero) mileage balance now, so I don't have the option of re-requesting the upgrade and sorting the numbers/redeposits out later. Woe is me I suppose

Thanks for any and all advice!
Old Jul 4, 17, 1:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, SY, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
My experience is that if I have an instrument supported upgrade, I can get rebooked positive space (UA metal only) in the upgraded class of service during IRROPS. Being 1K probably helps though - I would give HUCA a couple of tries, find a routing with F space, and mention you would like to stay in First.

If I follow you though.. you already accepted a rebooking into Y? That is going to make things much more difficult.
Old Jul 4, 17, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by findark View Post
My experience is that if I have an instrument supported upgrade, I can get rebooked positive space (UA metal only) in the upgraded class of service during IRROPS. Being 1K probably helps though - I would give HUCA a couple of tries, find a routing with F space, and mention you would like to stay in First.

If I follow you though.. you already accepted a rebooking into Y? That is going to make things much more difficult.
Yes, I did accept the Y booking. I HUACA'd and was put back on the waitlist for J. Luckily one seat left and I'm the only waitlist, so fingers crossed.

You bring up up an interesting point- if I had pushed the first time would they have potentially opened up R space for the mileage upgrade, seeing as there was P inventory?
Old Jul 4, 17, 6:13 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by ElliottMB View Post
You bring up up an interesting point- if I had pushed the first time would they have potentially opened up R space for the mileage upgrade, seeing as there was P inventory?
IME, 85%+ chance they would've put u in C first agent. Near 100% with HUCA and agent number 2.
Old Jul 4, 17, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, DL Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ElliottMB View Post
Yes, I did accept the Y booking. I HUACA'd and was put back on the waitlist for J. Luckily one seat left and I'm the only waitlist, so fingers crossed.

yes, you should have not accepted the Y re-booking. Also make sure you get the 600 EUR compensation
Old Jul 4, 17, 12:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.7MM, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
.... Also make sure you get the 600 EUR compensation
Good luck on that for a domestic segment delay -- UA seems to strong push-back on that. But that is already covered in
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...st-united.html
Old Jul 4, 17, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, DL Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Good luck on that for a domestic segment delay -- UA seems to strong push-back on that. But that is already covered in
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...st-united.html
oops, I misread the OP
Old Jul 4, 17, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the feedback. Totally agree I should've HUACA'd. Luckily got a seat up front via Houston in the end, but only via a battlefield UG. Bottom line I think I panicked about getting back tonight and wasn't thinking straight- but alls well that ends well. Happy 4th everyone!