Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

IRROPS, SDC, and Mileage Upgrade Instruments

IRROPS, SDC, and Mileage Upgrade Instruments

Reply

Old Jul 4, 17, 12:58 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Programs: UA Silver, TK Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 294
IRROPS, SDC, and Mileage Upgrade Instruments

Hi all,

Flying back to the states today from Heathrow to Minneapolis, originally via IAD. IAD flight posted a 2hr delay overnight which would've caused me to miss my connection. UA proactively put me on an 8am IAD-MSP flight the following day, but there were numerous options via IAH and ORD. The catch - I had upgraded into R with miles + copay and there was now no R space available.

I couldn't change online (system only saw the first flight, I assume because the new IAD-MSP flight was the following day) so called in. I knew they wouldn't open up R on the new flight, but was surprised when the agent told me because of the schedule change they couldn't honor the upgrade and that miles + copay would be most likely redeposited. Is this right? Should I HUACA? The new routing is booked in Y vs. my original K fare, does that change things?

I also have a (close to zero) mileage balance now, so I don't have the option of re-requesting the upgrade and sorting the numbers/redeposits out later. Woe is me I suppose

Thanks for any and all advice!
ElliottMB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 17, 1:15 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K, SY, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Posts: 6,355
My experience is that if I have an instrument supported upgrade, I can get rebooked positive space (UA metal only) in the upgraded class of service during IRROPS. Being 1K probably helps though - I would give HUCA a couple of tries, find a routing with F space, and mention you would like to stay in First.

If I follow you though.. you already accepted a rebooking into Y? That is going to make things much more difficult.
findark is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 17, 3:13 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Programs: UA Silver, TK Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 294
Originally Posted by findark View Post
My experience is that if I have an instrument supported upgrade, I can get rebooked positive space (UA metal only) in the upgraded class of service during IRROPS. Being 1K probably helps though - I would give HUCA a couple of tries, find a routing with F space, and mention you would like to stay in First.

If I follow you though.. you already accepted a rebooking into Y? That is going to make things much more difficult.
Yes, I did accept the Y booking. I HUACA'd and was put back on the waitlist for J. Luckily one seat left and I'm the only waitlist, so fingers crossed.

You bring up up an interesting point- if I had pushed the first time would they have potentially opened up R space for the mileage upgrade, seeing as there was P inventory?
ElliottMB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 17, 6:13 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Posts: 3,311
Originally Posted by ElliottMB View Post
You bring up up an interesting point- if I had pushed the first time would they have potentially opened up R space for the mileage upgrade, seeing as there was P inventory?
IME, 85%+ chance they would've put u in C first agent. Near 100% with HUCA and agent number 2.
PhillyPhlyer40 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 17, 6:46 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, DL Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat, Amex Plat
Posts: 22,104
Originally Posted by ElliottMB View Post
Yes, I did accept the Y booking. I HUACA'd and was put back on the waitlist for J. Luckily one seat left and I'm the only waitlist, so fingers crossed.

You bring up up an interesting point- if I had pushed the first time would they have potentially opened up R space for the mileage upgrade, seeing as there was P inventory?
yes, you should have not accepted the Y re-booking. Also make sure you get the 600 EUR compensation
cfischer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 17, 12:44 pm
  #6  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Gold 1.7MM, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Posts: 42,051
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
.... Also make sure you get the 600 EUR compensation
Good luck on that for a domestic segment delay -- UA seems to strong push-back on that. But that is already covered in
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...st-united.html
WineCountryUA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 17, 2:01 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, DL Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat, Amex Plat
Posts: 22,104
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Good luck on that for a domestic segment delay -- UA seems to strong push-back on that. But that is already covered in
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...st-united.html
oops, I misread the OP
cfischer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 17, 5:02 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Programs: UA Silver, TK Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 294
Thanks all for the feedback. Totally agree I should've HUACA'd. Luckily got a seat up front via Houston in the end, but only via a battlefield UG. Bottom line I think I panicked about getting back tonight and wasn't thinking straight- but alls well that ends well. Happy 4th everyone!
ElliottMB is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread