Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Star alliance GOLD benefits on OS/LX/LH when on UA MP Challenge

Star alliance GOLD benefits on OS/LX/LH when on UA MP Challenge

Old Jul 1, 2017, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Question Star alliance GOLD benefits on OS/LX/LH when on UA MP Challenge

Hi Everyone,

I am a newbie on FlyerTalk and would appreciate help or comments on following question.

In following days, I have a flight with OS from VIE and then connecting to LX through ZRH to Spain.

1./ Currently, I have a card with Avianca Amigo (O6) with *G status. The original plastic card shows expired 03/2017, although on BP, I am shown O6*G and new will not arrive, on their website it shows me still as being Gold.

2./ I am also registered in UA MP Gold challenge (which will probably not complete). After putting it on BP, it also shows me as UA*G. The lady on UA told me it is not possible to access partner lounges, but why not, if it is mentioned on my BP? Should I still receive any *G benefits, like extra checked bag (that matters me most) and lounge access, if I am on 90-day challenge and it is mentioned on my BP?

Which one do you suggest to keep on BP - O6 or UA to get surely benefits? I am asking, because I have read that in LH/OS/LX lounges they require card - (entire booking made through Swiss.com website) - which card would do less "harm" for lounge dragons... (I will change the FF before boarding to A3, I like their program much better that the other two, I just want to get the benefits,...)

And one last, not-so-important question, the booking can be accessed through LH website as well and there is possibility to input more FF numbers. How does this work, if miles can be earned in only one FF???

Thank you very much for your help!
Old Jul 1, 2017, 7:30 am

Be careful about swapping programs. Often the miles get credit to the wrong program.

Yes, LX sometimes wants to see the card (not always) - being able to log into the website of your FFP and showing you're Gold valid till (future date) will be fine for that. Be aware that the LX lounges in ZRH in the main A area are, well, not really that fancy. The good lounges are in the Non-Schengen E Gate. Plan about 20-30min getting there, especially during rush hour you better not cut things too close.

An extra checked bag? Boy, I sure hope you didn't booked a "Light fare" then (No *G extra bag on those)
Old Jul 1, 2017, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Question

Thank you very much YuropFlyer, I am booked in Business Saver (P), that should give me 2x32 kg, but anyway want to check-in one more piece...

Do you think that transit desk or gate agent wouldn't swap the program FF number for me?

In VCE, I have done it once, but they didn't credit and I had to request them...

So, which FF programme do you suggest to put on BP? O6 Amigo with expired "real" plastic card, but valid status on BP or UA MP, where I am "not guranteed *G benefits, including lounge access during challenge", although it is clearly mentioned UA*G on my BP?

I would like to ask also somebody, who had similar experience when accessing LH/OS/LX lounges with newly UA status on challenge, whether was admitted or not...
(because I have also in a few weeks flight with EgyptAir, and if O6 status expires,...)

And also thanks for suggesting E lounge, I have 2h 20min layover, do you think it is sufficient?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 1, 2017 at 10:54 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 1, 2017, 11:00 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kvetinka907

2./ I am also registered in UA MP Gold challenge (which will probably not complete). After putting it on BP, it also shows me as UA*G. The lady on UA told me it is not possible to access partner lounges, but why not, if it is mentioned on my BP? Should I still receive any *G benefits, like extra checked bag (that matters me most) and lounge access, if I am on 90-day challenge and it is mentioned on my BP? ....
UA will not provide a *G card for those on a challenge

Additionally, if queried by partners, UA will not report *G status for those on a challenge
In the challenge email, it has stated in the past
During the challenge you will have UA status but not *A status.
UA challenges provide temporary status for travel on UA but you may not get the status benefits pn partner flights and should not depend on that status.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...5-forward.html
Some have been successful, some have not.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Thank you WineCountryUA for the info,

I got that information from UA MP website too... I am sorry to ask for clarification, but I am really confused, everybody tells me I don't have UA*G status, but why is it mentioned then on my BP? Isn't it strange?

Isn't here anybody on the forum, who has experience with UA temporary status and getting *G benefits?

You see, I want to take extra bag with me and for unknown reason, the prices at the airport are 200% higher than booked online. I have few hours - to either pay extra piece online OR take the risk and take it straight with me and depend on "UA*G" on my BP.

Thank you!
Old Jul 1, 2017, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by kvetinka907
Thank you WineCountryUA for the info,

I got that information from UA MP website too... I am sorry to ask for clarification, but I am really confused, everybody tells me I don't have UA*G status, but why is it mentioned then on my BP? Isn't it strange?

Isn't here anybody on the forum, who has experience with UA temporary status and getting *G benefits?

You see, I want to take extra bag with me and for unknown reason, the prices at the airport are 200% higher than booked online. I have few hours - to either pay extra piece online OR take the risk and take it straight with me and depend on "UA*G" on my BP.

Thank you!
online it will either recognize SAG and give the 3rd bag free or it won't. If SAG is on the BP chances are the 3rd bag will be free. Lounge access with LX often requires the physical SAG card
Old Jul 1, 2017, 8:41 pm

Please note that Business Saver on LX does NOT automatically mean free luggage. If its merely an upselled economy product you get Y benefits (which means nada in Light)

I would double check that.. costs for 3 luggages might be a bit high otherwise

2hrs20min for E is a bit tight but doable. For me it would depend how hungry I am. They got more stingy in the E lounges about the amount of food you can get (from the served areas) but yes its much better than A still.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Please note that Business Saver on LX does NOT automatically mean free luggage. If its merely an upselled economy product you get Y benefits (which means nada in Light)
Huh ... where have you heard that tale? If this is booked in I, P or higher it most certainly includes 2 bags no matter what and how you got that fare class.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
Huh ... where have you heard that tale? If this is booked in I, P or higher it most certainly includes 2 bags no matter what and how you got that fare class.
Well, on the Swiss website? Not much fairy tales there usually..

"Upgrade into Business Class:

The baggage and rebooking conditions of the original Economy fare apply."

https://www.swiss.com/ch/EN/book/con...business-class

You can choose this option directly when booking. It will book into P, based from the Light Fare, and definitely have no checked luggage included.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Well, on the Swiss website? Not much fairy tales there usually..

"Upgrade into Business Class:

The baggage and rebooking conditions of the original Economy fare apply."

https://www.swiss.com/ch/EN/book/con...business-class

You can choose this option directly when booking. It will book into P, based from the Light Fare, and definitely have no checked luggage included.
Nowhere does the OP say this was a Y that was upgraded using a fixed $ amount. If this is showing 32 kg as the OP stated then it should not be this product. A regular upgrade using e.g. miles will give business luggage allowance.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
Nowhere does the OP say this was a Y that was upgraded using a fixed $ amount. If this is showing 32 kg as the OP stated then it should not be this product. A regular upgrade using e.g. miles will give business luggage allowance.
"that should give me 2x32 kg" doesn't equal to "It shows on my booking receipt 2*32kg". Yes, _PROBABLY_ OP is fine, but if not, he/she will be in BIG trouble when showing up in Vienna with 3*32kg and finding out it's costing two arms and about 1.5 legs to check all of that. Better double check what the fare base is rather than assume things, isn't it?

With so many "optional" things that LH Group introduced, even frequent flyers need to double check their advantages. There had been some people reporting on FT that they were unfriendly surprised when their supposed Business fare was actually just an upgraded Y fare without luggage.

So, maybe you take my posting as what it was meant: A friendly reminder to the OP to check the baggage allowance, instead of talking about "tales"?

P doesn't mean guaranteed 2*32kg on LX/LH Group, after all.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Thank you everybody for your help, FlyerTalk is best!

I forgot to mention that I was on full business class fare.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.