Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

(Rant) My UA miles expired, I have no use for United

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Rant) My UA miles expired, I have no use for United

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy P, HHonors Dia, Hyatt Disc, FPC, Alaskan, Hawaiian, AA, United, Elevate, Amex
Originally Posted by sbm12
They send lots of emails about expiring miles. And if yours expired that means you haven't been a UA customer in YEARS so you already moved on.
They sent ZERO emails about expiring miles. I had the Visa card maybe 2 years ago.
They really SHOULD send emails, snail mail, or something, to alert you to expiring miles.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Mileage expiration is not only noted in communications from UA, but is noted on everyone's MP account page. Even if UA screwed up in communications, the information was at your fingertips. Mileage expiration at other carriers runs the same way. If you choose to ignore other airlines' notifications/statements/account page, you end up with the same result at the other airlines. And it sounds like you've had no use for United for the past 3 years anyway. UA has lie-flats to Maui this fall. Hawaiian/Virgin/Alaska are fine if you really don't travel much beyond their respective limited networks.
I flew United to Maui before, and was not impressed. Hawaiian/Virgin/Alaska are all much better. I rarely have need to visit the account page, and they don't allow AwardWallet to keep track.
There was ZERO communication from them. Last earned points less than 2 years ago.

Originally Posted by tuolumne
Sounds to me like, "given all the problems United been having in the press, I expected them to bend the rules for me. Or maybe have no rules at all."
I expected them to care. They don't. They don't warn you about expiring miles, and then offer to let you BUY them back.

Originally Posted by jtet
Yeah, with all those premium level hotel memberships, how hard would it have been to change the awards earning for a hotel stay to United miles, or points + miles. Even if you only do it for one stay every couple years. Duh. That's a pretty easy way to keep the account active. Or, maybe buy something from Home Depot or FTD via MP Shopping?

Points are not cash in the bank. Don't expect them to be treated that way.
If only I had known they were about to expire.

Originally Posted by fastair
You knew enough about how to keep hotel points from expiring to call the timeshare salesmen liars. How could you have missed this one? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...l#post21619694
Did you have a point? Not at all related to my post.

Yeah, OP had an expiring right-to-use that he/she did not exercise. Sort of like getting a coupon in a cereal box, not using it in time, and then claim Proctor and Gamble (or whoever) didn't tell him/her about the expiration date printed on it. Except P&G won't let one re-buy the value of a $1 coupon for 75 cents.
There was no expiration date printed on the miles. Poor analogy.

Last edited by l etoile; Jun 30, 2017 at 2:04 pm
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Ramonmv
They sent ZERO emails about expiring miles. I had the Visa card maybe 2 years ago.
They really SHOULD send emails, snail mail, or something, to alert you to expiring miles.
Check your spam folder... or maybe you had a dormant email account listed? An old snailmail listed? UA always sends multiple notices for expiring miles.

Huh? RUles on UA site in your account section clearly say miles expire after 18 months of inactivity!

Last edited by l etoile; Jun 30, 2017 at 2:04 pm
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy P, HHonors Dia, Hyatt Disc, FPC, Alaskan, Hawaiian, AA, United, Elevate, Amex
Anyway, with all the other loyalty programs and airlines out there, I don't need them, and will avoid them. They don't fly anywhere I want to go that some other, better airline doesn't also fly to. Even before their recent problems, they were probably the worst airline I've flown.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Expiration date is posted on everyone's account page. You've got to take just an iota of responsibility here.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pindi
Huh? RUles on UA site in your account section clearly say miles expire after 18 months of inactivity!
Points are not a physical item with an expiration date printed on them.

Check your spam folder... or maybe you had a dormant email account listed? An old snailmail listed? UA always sends multiple notices for expiring miles.
Nope. They never sent anything. They have my email address, and they send me emails. Nothing about expiring miles.

Last edited by l etoile; Jun 30, 2017 at 2:05 pm
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA MM
Points are not a physical item with an expiration date printed on them.
LOL - but they DO!!! They clearly have an expiration date printed on them. They were never 'physical' items to begin with. So these virtual items had a virtual expiration date clearly printed. You chose to ignore it.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

...and when I complained that they never warned me, they didn't say, "We sent you email(s) about that." Nope, they just told me how I could buy them back.
It's okay. I would have used them on merchandise or something (which makes the buy-back offer really a rip-off). I don't fly their airline anymore.
I just think they should make a little more effort to let people know their points are expiring. They obviously feel otherwise.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nope. They never sent anything. They have my email address, and they send me emails. Nothing about expiring miles.
Again, for the one hundredth time - your account page shows expiration date. Hopefully you're not going to claim yours is the only one that doesn't. Threatening not to fly an airline that you haven't flown on for years is an empty threat.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

LOL - but they DO!!! They clearly have an expiration date printed on them. They were never 'physical' items to begin with. So these virtual items had a virtual expiration date clearly printed. You chose to ignore it.
LOL - but they DON'T!!!

Again, for the one hundredth time - your account page shows expiration date. Hopefully you're not going to claim yours is the only one that doesn't. Threatening not to fly an airline that you haven't flown on for years is an empty threat.
Yeah, I sure blew it, not going to my account page every single day. SMH
Doesn't help that they changed the log in, making it more difficult to do that.

Last edited by l etoile; Jun 30, 2017 at 2:05 pm
Old Jun 30, 2017, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
But to use an analogy: say you have some British pounds, but you haven't been to England in a few years. Do they just let them expire and become worthless?
I had a heck of a time using my paper Ł5 notes last month in the UK. I ended up having to exchange them for plastic fivers at the post office.

I'd suggest the OP invest in AwardWallet or similar website where all of your points, programs, and expiry information is on one screen. No accidentally leaving money on the table with it.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

They just started service from my local airport, so they may regret not caring about customers more. Alaska flies from the same airport, and is so much better.

Originally Posted by KRSW
I had a heck of a time using my paper Ł5 notes last month in the UK. I ended up having to exchange them for plastic fivers at the post office.

I'd suggest the OP invest in AwardWallet or similar website where all of your points, programs, and expiry information is on one screen. No accidentally leaving money on the table with it.
Thanks, but United doesn't cooperate with AwardWallet.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 30, 2017 at 2:42 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Jun 30, 2017, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LOL - but they DON'T!!!

Yeah, I sure blew it, not going to my account page every single day. SMH
Doesn't help that they changed the log in, making it more difficult to do that.
You don't have to. It had the same expiration date for 18 months. You refuse to take any responsibility on your part - that's why you're getting zero sympathy.

Sounds like Alaska works for you and you hated United even before you let your miles expire. Good luck!

And since you couldn't bother to read United's posted conditions on mileage/account expiration, here's Alaska's (which are remarkably similar to UA's):

"Mileage Plan miles do not have an expiration date and may remain in an active account indefinitely, provided that the Mileage Plan program has not been terminated pursuant to these conditions of membership. Activity in an account includes redeeming a Mileage Plan award or accruing mileage in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan program. However, notwithstanding any term to the contrary, if a Mileage Plan account is inactive for 2 years, Alaska Airlines may close the account, delete any mileage balance and reassign the Mileage Plan number. Deleted mileage can be reinstated for a fee for up to 1 year. To reinstate a Mileage Plan account please contact customer care"

To put it simply - no activity with Alaska in 24 months equals forfeiture and closure of account.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 30, 2017 at 3:00 pm
Old Jun 30, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
And since you couldn't bother to read United's posted conditions on mileage/account expiration, here's Alaska's (which are remarkably similar to UA's):

"Mileage Plan miles do not have an expiration date and may remain in an active account indefinitely, provided that the Mileage Plan program has not been terminated pursuant to these conditions of membership. Activity in an account includes redeeming a Mileage Plan award or accruing mileage in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan program. However, notwithstanding any term to the contrary, if a Mileage Plan account is inactive for 2 years, Alaska Airlines may close the account, delete any mileage balance and reassign the Mileage Plan number. Deleted mileage can be reinstated for a fee for up to 1 year. To reinstate a Mileage Plan account please contact customer care"

To put it simply - no activity with Alaska in 24 months equals forfeiture and closure of account.
Bolding mine.

Most airlines have this type of flexible language in their FFP terms and conditions. IMO in the past most airlines did not strictly enforce their inactivity forfeiture policy; but in the era of endless revenue grabs they are.

SL
Old Jun 30, 2017, 4:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by airzim
I disagree. Currency is only what is perceived as a value for the trading of goods. You can accumulate miles and trade them for airplane seats, TVs, magazines, etc. In the US they are not taxed, but that's not true in every country.

@ LondonElite "The difference is that you own the currency. You don't own the miles, or their 'value'."

You don't own currency. It's property of the issuing government.
Yes, the whole "currency" discussion is completely off point. FFP points do indeed constitute one form of currency (which is defined as a medium of exchange).
Old Jun 30, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by s0ssos
But to use an analogy: say you have some British pounds, but you haven't been to England in a few years. Do they just let them expire and become worthless?
I actually have Indian Rupee currency notes. They were demonetized last November. I was unable to travel to India during the 'swap' period. They have 'expired' ad become worthless...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.