Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

(Rant) My UA miles expired, I have no use for United

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy P, HHonors Dia, Hyatt Disc, FPC, Alaskan, Hawaiian, AA, United, Elevate, Amex

I had about 36k miles, and they deleted them, with no warning at all.
They offered to let me pay to reinstate them.
After all of United's problems recently, you'd think they would care a little more. But nope.
Well, I usually fly to Maui, and there are much better options (Hawaiian, Alaska/Virgin, etc), so who needs them, anyway?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

They send lots of emails about expiring miles. And if yours expired that means you haven't been a UA customer in YEARS so you already moved on.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Mileage expiration is not only noted in communications from UA, but is noted on everyone's MP account page. Even if UA screwed up in communications, the information was at your fingertips. Mileage expiration at other carriers runs the same way. If you choose to ignore other airlines' notifications/statements/account page, you end up with the same result at the other airlines. And it sounds like you've had no use for United for the past 3 years anyway. UA has lie-flats to Maui this fall. Hawaiian/Virgin/Alaska are fine if you really don't travel much beyond their respective limited networks.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 29, 2017 at 2:50 pm
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:47 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
And in the event that the OP is interested in pursuing redemption options, this thread (and wiki) may help: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...2015-a-11.html
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:16 pm

Sounds to me like, "given all the problems United been having in the press, I expected them to bend the rules for me. Or maybe have no rules at all."
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: 1K---2,909,450 BIS miles
Originally Posted by Ramonmv
.... so who needs them, anyway?
Yeah! Especially when the OP has all of these other clubs ---

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt GP Plat, FPC, Alaskan, Hawaiian, AA, United, Elevate, Amex, Marriott.

Last edited by MY-OTHER-BROTHER-"TED"; Jun 29, 2017 at 4:08 pm
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
I would check out the thread that OCN Vw 1K posted above. I seem to recall united giving the same response to someone who had SIGNIFICANTLY more than 36k miles (hundreds of thousands of miles if I recall correctly). You're not alone.

Don't rant, use the time the read the thread if you really want those 36k miles back.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Given lack of activity, shouldn't the thread title say "had" not "have"?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
They send lots of emails about expiring miles. And if yours expired that means you haven't been a UA customer in YEARS so you already moved on.
But to use an analogy: say you have some British pounds, but you haven't been to England in a few years. Do they just let them expire and become worthless?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s0ssos
But to use an analogy: say you have some British pounds, but you haven't been to England in a few years. Do they just let them expire and become worthless?
Yes, actually. The pound was demonetized in the 60's; the continental European currencies in the early 00's; the Philippine peso (old banknote series) a few years ago; the Zimbabwean dollar, repeatedly...

Loyalty points are not currency. Personally, I don't care for UA's policy either, but it's a one-sided relationship. Companies make the rules, and consumers' options are whether or not to do business with that company.

If "miles never expire" is the most important criterion, I recommend DL.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes, actually. The pound was demonetized in the 60's; the continental European currencies in the early 00's; the Philippine peso (old banknote series) a few years ago; the Zimbabwean dollar, repeatedly...

Loyalty points are not currency. Personally, I don't care for UA's policy either, but it's a one-sided relationship. Companies make the rules, and consumers' options are whether or not to do business with that company.

If "miles never expire" is the most important criterion, I recommend DL.
I do agree. DL is way better in that way. I recently had to give my dad's account some activity, so I donated half his miles (only had a few thousand). So annoying.
And my friend asked about transferring out her Amex MR points, so she could close the account, and I said DL! They don't expire. Easy.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes, currency can become worthless. I have some old Francs and Lira sitting around that no longer are fungible.

Also, points aren't currency.

The OP screwed up and wanted UA to bend the rules. Didn't get that and came here with a useless rant. At least had the decency to put that in the thread title.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA MM, Marriott LT Plat
Yeah, with all those premium level hotel memberships, how hard would it have been to change the awards earning for a hotel stay to United miles, or points + miles. Even if you only do it for one stay every couple years. Duh. That's a pretty easy way to keep the account active. Or, maybe buy something from Home Depot or FTD via MP Shopping?

Points are not cash in the bank. Don't expect them to be treated that way.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:00 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
You knew enough about how to keep hotel points from expiring to call the timeshare salesmen liars. How could you have missed this one? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...l#post21619694
Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The difference is that you own the currency. You don't own the miles, or their 'value'.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.