Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Thinking of getting rid of PREZ+ MC; talk me out of it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold

I'm wondering if the FLEX PEQM benefit is even worth it anymore; I am Premier Silver, some of the FLEX PEQM are going to expire anyway

I know there is another card that offers free lounge access

Doesnt the AMEX PLATINUM offer comparable benefits - recently went to the Centurion Lounge at IAH - far and above beats ANY UC i've been to.

The airline credit will work for 2 or 3 visits anyways to a UC when there isnt a Centurion option.

I dont travel like i used to

Just thinking its no longer worth it
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA Amex
Amex Platinum benefits make it better than free for me:
$200 annual airline expense credit
$200 Über credit
Centurion Club saves a few restaurant dinners
Status at Marriott/Starwood/Hilton saves a few breakfasts
Rental Car status gets some discounts when bigger car is needed
special credits at places I use-$10 here $15 there for Office Supply or printing or shipping or restaurants
and we use Membership Rewards points to replace electronic or household stuff we need.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
yep. To me, I am just having a hard time keeping it.

the FLEX PEQM were the biggest benefit - why fight so damn hard to keep my Silver Status, when other CC's offer similar benefit

the upgrades to F are non-existent since the merger (as a LAX based Silver on PMCO, i upgraded maybe 2/3)

Who cares about the "upgrade" to E+, I can buy those now with an E+ subscription.

Who cares about early boarding - I can buy that too
Old Jun 29, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
I don't think you can buy early boarding on United. Status, credit card and Business/First ticket I think are how early boarding is achieved on United. Other airlines offer the option to purchase it.

Also, while AMEX has nice lounges and includes the Delta Skyclub network, it won't do much good in some airports when flying United. If you plan to give up United then it could work. Delta has a big presence at LAX so you might want to use them more often.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
I actually like the combination of Amex Plat + Pres Plus. The thing about the Presidential Plus card is that it provides most of the benefits of Silver Status. As other posters have mentioned the $550-$200 in UA credits -$200 in Uber credits means $150 which are totally justifiable.

The FEQMs are most valuable for people who are between levels, i.e. for someone who averages 35k EQMs an extra 10k in EQMs means a bump to Gold; also don't deny the value of no EQD requirement. At the same time the F cabin seems to be so full of TODs that even Plat does not mean much anymore.

This card also offers primary insurance on rental cars which, although I've never had to use, offers some peace of mind.

Given the fee increase, I wonder if Chase wants to increase the value proposition? If not quite a few people might jump ship.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
I actually like the combination of Amex Plat + Pres Plus. The thing about the Presidential Plus card is that it provides most of the benefits of Silver Status. As other posters have mentioned the $550-$200 in UA credits -$200 in Uber credits means $150 which are totally justifiable.

The FEQMs are most valuable for people who are between levels, i.e. for someone who averages 35k EQMs an extra 10k in EQMs means a bump to Gold; also don't deny the value of no EQD requirement. At the same time the F cabin seems to be so full of TODs that even Plat does not mean much anymore.

This card also offers primary insurance on rental cars which, although I've never had to use, offers some peace of mind.

Given the fee increase, I wonder if Chase wants to increase the value proposition? If not quite a few people might jump ship.
i actually meant that many credit card holders (non PREZ+) get to be in Group 2 for boarding, so I'm paying a premium price and still getting thrown in with these guys.

If PREZ+ offered "Group 1" boarding, that might be different.

point taken though
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:26 pm

Pres + PQD Waiver is my biggest benefit

I see you haven't mentioned the PQD Waiver and the Waiver of the Award Close-in booking fee?

For me, this is the BIGGEST, benefit for the Pres + Card. I maintain my status just by flying the miles flown with no need to worry if I met the PQD spending requirement.

The other benefit is the waiver of the Award Close-in booking fee which also comes in handy.

Other than that...yes...the other benefits you can pretty much buy a la carte.

M.

Last edited by SFnFlaGuy; Jun 30, 2017 at 12:30 am Reason: To add Close-in booking fee waiver
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:57 pm

Programs: ::US,UA,CO+ currently non-rev Plat
I think it depends on how much you spend on it annually. Platinum status has become so devalued with lack of UG and the close-in booking fee that there are better ways to earn miles.

I have a family member who doesn't fly as much as in the past for business but still charges all expenses to the card and earns 35-40K FQM a year. In the past this was useful because we could all book award tickets and cancel short notice if plans changed or better availability appeared but nowadays making sure we have at least one family member as a Plat is no longer particularly worthwhile.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 6:32 am

Programs: United Premiere 1K, SW Companion, Marriott Titanium Elite lifetime, Hertz Presidents Circle
They would have to take away the close in booking fee for me to finally say goodbye...although I am still upset about the loss of the change fee waiver which was the best benefit they had going and which devalued the card tremendously.
I have made plat through spend with the card for many years now and cannot imagine not being plat. Still enough perks for me on this card! Houston is our base so virtually all of our Interrnational flying is on United, although SW gets the brunt of our domestic flying due to the buddy pass. Also have Amex Plat with United as our airline of choice so the combo brings further rewards.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by nycityny
I don't think you can buy early boarding on United. Status, credit card and Business/First ticket I think are how early boarding is achieved on United. Other airlines offer the option to purchase it.
You can actually purchase Premier Access after booking for a nominal fee. This is inclusive of Premier Access Check-In (However, baggage is not priority tagged), Premier Access Security Line and Group 2 Boarding.

Last edited by JLiebo92; Jun 30, 2017 at 7:45 am
Old Jun 30, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JLiebo92
You can actually purchase Premier Access after booking for a nominal fee. This is inclusive of Premier Access Check-In (However, baggage is not priority tagged), Premier Access Security Line and Group 2 Boarding.
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that purchasing Premier Access also provided Group 2 boarding.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 11:16 am
Original Poster

so effectively, there's no difference between Group 2 board (which comes with Silver Premier) vs. Prez Plus priority boarding?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 11:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
It completely depends on the reason you have the card - i.e., which of the benefits is important to you.

For me, I rent cars 100% of the time, so I carry non-owners liability to cover that risk, and I use the very useful primary insurance collision coverage to cover physical damage - I just look at the card fee as a $450 annual collision/comprehensive insurance premium with free UA Club access as a bonus.

If none of the benefits are of any value, there is no reason to keep the card.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by bocastephen
It completely depends on the reason you have the card - i.e., which of the benefits is important to you.

For me, I rent cars 100% of the time, so I carry non-owners liability to cover that risk, and I use the very useful primary insurance collision coverage to cover physical damage - I just look at the card fee as a $450 annual collision/comprehensive insurance premium with free UA Club access as a bonus.

If none of the benefits are of any value, there is no reason to keep the card.
UA Explorer and Sapphire Preferred also have primary CDW.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

I know I always get Boarding Group 2 when i fly and dont get an upgrade.

I dont know if i get that because of the this card, or because of my Silver status

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.