Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Award redemption changes coming Nov. 1, 2017
http://mileageplusupdates.com/ (Thanks @joelfreak for providing link.)
  • Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" -- variable pricing
  • Some increases in longer haul international premium cabin saver awards (Generally 10% or less if any at all)
  • Some decreases on shorter non-stop partner saver flights outside the US
  • No changes for North America saver economy
  • No-show award redeposit fee $125 -- for everyone, no elite exemption.
  • Round the World awards are gone
  • No changes in UA/UX/Copa or *A mileage upgrades
*NEW* November 1, 2017 award chart

TPG has some tables showing changes to redemption costs.
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/06/uni...eryday-awards/

What if I need to change my existing Standard Award on or after November 1, 2017?

Any changes will require a ticket reissue and new pricing and additional fees may apply.
Print Wikipost

UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2018, 6:12 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
They started using dynamic pricing for standard/everyday award tickets a year ago. Partner and saver awards are still a set price I believe.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Everyday Awards are the lowest available, and have varying prices.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...-show-fee.html
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Is MP trying dynamic award pricing now?

Perhaps this has been discussed, and I have missed the boat...

I was looking at HNL-LAX award prices, and discovered different award redemption rates. The range is 79K to 95K (First everyday award).

For nonstop, the range is 79K-81K
For connections, the range is 82K -95K.

Any insights here?
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zrs70
Perhaps this has been discussed, and I have missed the boat...

I was looking at HNL-LAX award prices, and discovered different award redemption rates. The range is 79K to 95K (First everyday award).

For nonstop, the range is 79K-81K
For connections, the range is 82K -95K.

Any insights here?
Yes, they're using dynamic pricing; it was part of the change from "standard" to "everyday" awards.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Only for like a year now.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:06 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is new for premium awards.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:49 pm

Ok so for months I've been watching the LHR to ORD and the DUB to ORD business class award flight availability. Everyday (non-saver) awards were around 150K points plus normal taxes. I've just checked for the first time in 2019 and they're showing 90K for everyday awards.

I'm wondering if this is dynamic pricing and whether it will likely bounce back up to the 150K...or if if that's just the standard pricing going forward for these routes. Since I'm not 100% sure I'll be able to make this trip work, if I knew it would stay at that 90k pricing then I'd hold off on purchasing now knowing same pricing would be available in May/June.

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mstrbldr
Ok so for months I've been watching the LHR to ORD and the DUB to ORD business class award flight availability. Everyday (non-saver) awards were around 150K points plus normal taxes. I've just checked for the first time in 2019 and they're showing 90K for everyday awards.
I'm wondering if this is dynamic pricing and whether it will likely bounce back up to the 150K...or if if that's just the standard pricing going forward for these routes....
Saver awards, if they were available would be 60K miles for UA metal and 70K for partner -- each way , Everyday could be up to 155K, So this is dynamic pricing of Everyday and it could change -- up or down -- at anytime. As they are close to saver levels, I doubt there is much downside opportunity. UA would probably open saver awards before going lower on Everyday.

And going higher is a very real possibility.

The risk of booking now is the cancel / deposit fee which varies based on status.

Similar discussion https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...7-forward.html
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:15 pm

UAL Dynamic Pricing ?

Have searched and cannot find an answer to this question.
Apparently UAL is using a "dynamic pricing model" where the number of miles needed for an award ticket will vary from flight to flight and for various days of the month.

Is there a specific time frame such as day of the week when the miles needed for a flight is changed or is this an automatic algorithm controlled computer change?
Thanks

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 9, 2019 at 2:54 pm Reason: moved to existing thread
Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Saver awards are still on a fixed published schedule (except for Premium economy), but the everyday (nee standard) awards are now tied to the fare so it changes dynamically.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TJR9999
Have searched and cannot find an answer to this question.
Apparently UAL is using a "dynamic pricing model" where the number of miles needed for an award ticket will vary from flight to flight and for various days of the month.

Is there a specific time frame such as day of the week when the miles needed for a flight is changed or is this an automatic algorithm controlled computer change?
Thanks
As noted, this only applies to "Everyday" awards and the price is driven by supply and demand.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 2:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TJR9999
... Is there a specific time frame such as day of the week when the miles needed for a flight is changed or is this an automatic algorithm controlled computer change? ....
No one has posted any specific understanding of the model -- but my guess is there is a model running from time to time based on a variety of parameters -- very data driven and UA has bunches of historical and real-time data to use.

I don't think it is as simple as Tuesday are more expensive than Sundays or 6 months out is different than 6 weeks out. It may follow patents like that but it is likely due to other data and not those parameters -- purely a guess on my part.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:17 pm

The standard award prices seem at least to loosely coorelate with cheapest available econ fare class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.