Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Award redemption changes coming Nov. 1, 2017
http://mileageplusupdates.com/ (Thanks @joelfreak for providing link.)
  • Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" -- variable pricing
  • Some increases in longer haul international premium cabin saver awards (Generally 10% or less if any at all)
  • Some decreases on shorter non-stop partner saver flights outside the US
  • No changes for North America saver economy
  • No-show award redeposit fee $125 -- for everyone, no elite exemption.
  • Round the World awards are gone
  • No changes in UA/UX/Copa or *A mileage upgrades
*NEW* November 1, 2017 award chart

TPG has some tables showing changes to redemption costs.
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/06/uni...eryday-awards/

What if I need to change my existing Standard Award on or after November 1, 2017?

Any changes will require a ticket reissue and new pricing and additional fees may apply.
Print Wikipost

UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by SunLover
Not very. Folks were gaming the system.

SL
Can someone please explain how not canceling an award ticket before departure time is "gaming the system" in a way that could benefit the ticket holder? I am not able to figure out what benefit there could be to intentionally doing this.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Is this the biggest devaluation of my RDM yet?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by cranky1K
Is this the biggest devaluation of my RDM yet?
I think the last one (around 2014) was bigger.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA - Silver and dropping...
Same institutional investors

Of course this is happening. Delta, AA and United all share the same major institutional shareholders and investors. When the big three copy each other's crappy policies which add to the bottom line; I'm no longer surprised.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott LT Titanium, '20 Ambassador
Originally Posted by milypan
That cannot possibly true – I'm pretty sure UA just doesn't understand numbers. An 11 percentage point increase would imply that saver award availability went from, say, 9% of seats to 20% of seats (i.e., more than doubled in that example). Even if it were 0% initially, I doubt that 11% of seats are available for saver awards on the average flight.

Presumably what they meant to say is that availability increased by over 11 percent. It's a pretty meaningless statistic though since we have no idea how they're calculating it, what the baseline is, whether they're accounting for seasonality, etc. etc.
An 11% increase in saver seats means they've increased from 9% to 9.99%, absolutely a believable increase if focused on the low demand routes/times that usually depart with empty seats. Or 5% to 5.55%, whatever the baseline is they're likely offering up <1% more of total seats.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kittiyut
I think the last one (around 2014) was bigger.
Yes. This one is not even in the same ballpark as what was done in Feb. 2014.

The award booking changes implemented last October also worked a much worse devaluation.

This is really quite minor in comparison to those.

ETA: I just got the e-mail from UA announcing these changes. I found it to be fairly factual and neutral, i.e., not full of happy talk nonsense. I appreciate that they will still be publishing award charts and that they're giving us four months notice of the changes. Huge contrast with the shenanigans DL has been pulling lately.

Last edited by Kacee; Jun 29, 2017 at 8:18 pm
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by physioprof
Can someone please explain how not canceling an award ticket before departure time is "gaming the system" in a way that could benefit the ticket holder? I am not able to figure out what benefit there could be to intentionally doing this.
Holding seats with miles that you have no intention of flying in order to hold F seats available for gate upgrade if you know you'll be top of list or close to it. Friends hold seats for friends etc.

Personally, whatever the reason, I think the $125 is fair. You are potentially costing the airline money if you hold a seat that is then unavailable to be sold.

Prior to today's announcement, I assumed that a mileage ticket that you didn't show up for forfeited the reservation and miles. I was surprised to hear that you could actually cancel and refund after the fact.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:48 pm

was the bump from 50k to 80k for a standard business ewr-sfo/lax announced previously?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
So this is for bookings made after November 1 right, not for flights after that date?

Everyone is going to try to book next year's award tickets in the next 4 months ...
Old Jun 29, 2017, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
So this is for bookings made after November 1 right, not for flights after that date?

Everyone is going to try to book next year's award tickets in the next 4 months ...
Correct on both counts.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 9:40 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by milypan
That cannot possibly true – I'm pretty sure UA just doesn't understand numbers. An 11 percentage point increase would imply that saver award availability went from, say, 9% of seats to 20% of seats (i.e., more than doubled in that example). Even if it were 0% initially, I doubt that 11% of seats are available for saver awards on the average flight.

Presumably what they meant to say is that availability increased by over 11 percent. It's a pretty meaningless statistic though since we have no idea how they're calculating it, what the baseline is, whether they're accounting for seasonality, etc. etc.
I think they mean it increased by 11% so if it was 10% of seats before, now its 11.1%
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:06 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by sbm12
Correct. With the premise that changes will happen every 12-18ish months - something we should expect from programs - this is not all that big a deal IMO.
Assuming otherwise would be foolish. The part of United's business that may be hurt the most are the credit cards. They are just not good everyday spend cards with this constant threat of devaluation hanging over them.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by HeIsAudiHereUnlessHesFlying
Of course this is happening. Delta, AA and United all share the same major institutional shareholders and investors. When the big three copy each other's crappy policies which add to the bottom line; I'm no longer surprised.
It's an oligopoly, and behaving like one. We had three-member oligopolies putting out bad product with the big 3 automakers and the big 3 TV networks back in the 70s. Both were humbled but it took years. With the US3 it'll take more international competition and more market-share gains by LCCs and ULCCs.

They don't talk about it but I'm sure that part of the gameplan with the U.S. 3 is assuming they have more "leverage" to go to the government for a bailout if there's some black swan event. Just socialize costs like that if they come up and privatize profits in the meantime.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by toby182
was the bump from 50k to 80k for a standard business ewr-sfo/lax announced previously?
No it wasn't. That does hurt.

But the 50k was too good to last given what a last minute ticket costs on those routes.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by Kacee
ETA: I just got the e-mail from UA announcing these changes. I found it to be fairly factual and neutral, i.e., not full of happy talk nonsense. I appreciate that they will still be publishing award charts and that they're giving us four months notice of the changes. Huge contrast with the shenanigans DL has been pulling lately.
Also just got the e-mail. Those things are always cringe-worthy but given what's happened in recent years across the board this one was maybe a 3 on a 1-10 scale, 10=worst.

I always redeem on free trips and am largely down to burning off a remaining small balance on UA. Will also occasionally do car-rent, iDine or survey deals for a small drip of miles. Not awarding much at all in flight miles on paid tickets has really caused my paid-ticket business for the whole US3 to drop.

Even though they're not awarding much in miles except from expensive paid tickets, I'd bet the inflationary pressure is still coming to a great degree from credit cards. That spigot is still open.

Am just glad I didn't go workaholic and save up a huge balance. I shudder to think what the availability/cost is like for some for some of the trips I took 11 or 12 years or so ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.