Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Award redemption changes coming Nov. 1, 2017
http://mileageplusupdates.com/ (Thanks @joelfreak for providing link.)
  • Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" -- variable pricing
  • Some increases in longer haul international premium cabin saver awards (Generally 10% or less if any at all)
  • Some decreases on shorter non-stop partner saver flights outside the US
  • No changes for North America saver economy
  • No-show award redeposit fee $125 -- for everyone, no elite exemption.
  • Round the World awards are gone
  • No changes in UA/UX/Copa or *A mileage upgrades
*NEW* November 1, 2017 award chart

TPG has some tables showing changes to redemption costs.
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/06/uni...eryday-awards/

What if I need to change my existing Standard Award on or after November 1, 2017?

Any changes will require a ticket reissue and new pricing and additional fees may apply.
Print Wikipost

UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
I'm always tickled by these devaluation posts and all the hand-wringing that goes along with them. Trust me I understand that it costs more miles today than it did yesterday and effective November 1, is going to cost us even more. The other reality is back in the day, the only miles that I was ever able to accumulate where my bis miles. Today, I get Miles when I wake up and brush my teeth in the morning. Of course miles are worth less today, because frankly they are far easier to earn. Do I like paying more for my coffee in the morning? Of course not. But if I'm earning 3 times more take-home pay that I was two years ago I'm not sure that I should be all that upset. And before anybody accuses me of being a United apologist, go back and look at my prior posts!
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by minnyfly
Dynamic pricing isn't always negative. Sometimes it's nice to have a "semi-saver" award available. Everyone wants a saver award, but if it's not available, there's no other good option (pretty much the story at AA right now). No one wants to pay full price. Dynamic pricing allows for award prices that fall in-between.
Unless, of course, the current standard award redemption levels become the floor for Dynamic Pricing, rather than the ceiling. Sadly, I expect this to be the case.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
Originally Posted by Duke787
This of course assumes UA maintains decent saver availability instead of following the DL/AA model of limited or non-existent saver availability after introducing their own tiered standard awards.

Somehow I doubt Kirby forgot about them taking that approach at AA after introducing their multiple award tiers for standard awards.

I expect to see saver awards dry up and a big increase in standard awards at variable pricing (oh hey look your standard award is only 15k miles that's lower than the 25k we used to charge for that standard award - just don't remember that we used to have saver availability on this route)
Agreed.. AA is a big hot mess now. I can't get from BOS-LAX as a lowly gold except for one flight in AUG at the saver level. Out of BOS, I might just as well fly B6 and know what I'm getting at CPM conversion.. at least I get a TV.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:41 pm

So Europe to Australia is now cheaper than Europe to South Asia?

I am seeing 90K to 115K for J & F to Australia, but 100K and 145K for J & F to places like Bkk on Star/Partner awards.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Billiken
No-show fee of $125, regardless of status, is reasonable.
Is the new $125 no-show fee in addition to the standard redeposit fees?
See https://thepointsguy.com/2016/08/uni...rds-october-6/
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
And at 50k - the new price - it is far from unreasonable. The "shock" of a 25% increase can be tempered by the fact that it isn't actually that many miles.

Stuff got more expensive. That happens every now and then. Most of the changes on the more common awards are small. US-EU C goes from 57.5 to 60K. US to deep S. America went from 55 to 60k. I'm not going to cry over that sort of change.
Stuff gets more expensive? Our "miles" are earned via spend-- makes no sense. It's just another devaluation but not a big one. I like the $125 fee. How many folks actually did a no-show? Can't be many, but who knows.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tryathlete
Stuff gets more expensive? Our "miles" are earned via spend-- makes no sense. It's just another devaluation but not a big one.
Exactly. This is like the massive devaluation; the UA rep said something like "well, we haven't raised the mile amount for each ticket in forever, and it is more expensive." Of course, the costs to earn the miles HAD been going up with ticket prices, so it didn't make much sense to me. You're right about how flyers earn their UA miles now from spend, but as was mentioned up-thread now miles are given away so freely via credit cards that there is inflationary pressure. And, they've carefully controlled our use of miles/awards by controlling the inventory, so they aren't giving away more seats than they want to afford.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 5:35 pm

Point is that we earn much less miles than we used to and now they are increasing the redemption
levels. Just like the fare increase by introducing BE. Sure, most Y awards stay the same but you
are welcomed to a 10 abreast flight.

I love how UA spins everything like we should be thankful for all the changes.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
looks fair to me. Very modest increases and much better than the dynamic pricing nonsense from Delta. Honestly, since we are now earning a lot more for our tickets it is just fair to raise redemption as well. Love it that they give us so much advance warning.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Point is that we earn much less miles than we used to and now they are increasing the redemption
levels. Just like the fare increase by introducing BE. Sure, most Y awards stay the same but you
are welcomed to a 10 abreast flight.

I love how UA spins everything like we should be thankful for all the changes.
Some of us earn much more than we used to as well....I have turned in 865,000 for trips int he last 6 months.

Also, one thing I read after I got the email. the award charts are still posted and the dynamic pricing is only down. The award chart is the highest price it can be. So you may not get a saver award, but you may get a few thousand off the price.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
levels.
Some do, some don't.

I usually never travel on business. Last year my bosses wanted to see me in the office a lot. That meant a lot of short UAX trips with expensive fare. Combine that with the spend-based RDM promo last year and I am pretty sure I earned a lot more miles than with the old mileage-based system. And with the CSR I also get 3X UR points = 3X UA miles for a large portion of my spend.

Not that I am happy when prices go up. Who would be.

If UA eventually ties the award cost fully to the cost of the ticket, they had better remember that I would rather get 2 cents cash back than a UA mile worth 2 cents.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:02 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
As an economy-class flyer, I'm not unhappy about this. The <800mi intra-EU flights for 8k might interest me. The only J award I might have been interested in was the 30k South Asia to Australia, so it's a shame to see that go. But as devals go, I'm not crying over this one.
Will these 8k intra-Europe flights come with checked bags, or will they ticket into the "Lite" fare buckets that require expensive fees to check a bag, even for *G?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cricketer
What's killing me is the loss of the 40K TG F experience HKG-BKK-SYD. That was a steal (which is perhaps why it's changing).

As others have said, while I never want devaluation, this is not shocking. It's going to be more painful in the long run as I expect the end game will get us a lot closer to a fixed $ value of a miile against ticket prices.
Agree on both. That was a very sweet spot and knew it would not last but a 63% increase to 65K is too much.

Originally Posted by sbm12
And at 50k - the new price - it is far from unreasonable. The "shock" of a 25% increase can be tempered by the fact that it isn't actually that many miles.
It is 40K to 65K on F, what are you talking about on the 50K? It is the J award jumps from 30K to 50K...and certainly not a 25% increase.

At 65K on this makes the AS 70K CX or 75K JL US-Asia a downright bargain.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Stuff gets more expensive?
Yes.

Our "miles" are earned via spend-- makes no sense.
I'd love to see the stats on points earned via flying versus co-brand activities. I'd bet the latter has a very strong showing.

It's just another devaluation but not a big one.
Correct. With the premise that changes will happen every 12-18ish months - something we should expect from programs - this is not all that big a deal IMO.
Originally Posted by transportprof
Will these 8k intra-Europe flights come with checked bags, or will they ticket into the "Lite" fare buckets that require expensive fees to check a bag, even for *G?
They will still book into the X fare bucket so no reason to think they'll become HBO fares. They are not such today.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
If UA eventually ties the award cost fully to the cost of the ticket, they had better remember that I would rather get 2 cents cash back than a UA mile worth 2 cents.
Exactly my thoughts. The moment either this happens or they start restricting saver inventory (like AA), then I move all my spend from MP card to a 2% cash back card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.