Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)

Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Award redemption changes coming Nov. 1, 2017
http://mileageplusupdates.com/ (Thanks @joelfreak for providing link.)
  • Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" -- variable pricing
  • Some increases in longer haul international premium cabin saver awards (Generally 10% or less if any at all)
  • Some decreases on shorter non-stop partner saver flights outside the US
  • No changes for North America saver economy
  • No-show award redeposit fee $125 -- for everyone, no elite exemption.
  • Round the World awards are gone
  • No changes in UA/UX/Copa or *A mileage upgrades
*NEW* November 1, 2017 award chart

TPG has some tables showing changes to redemption costs.
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/06/uni...eryday-awards/

What if I need to change my existing Standard Award on or after November 1, 2017?

Any changes will require a ticket reissue and new pricing and additional fees may apply.
Print Wikipost

UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)

Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I'm pretty much expecting that this UA devaluation will mean reduced opportunities to redeem partner airline program miles/points for award travel seats on UA planes.
Ugh. There goes SQ/KF non-surcharge redemptions for Europe
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by villox
Between getting 50% more points on travel with the Sapphire Reserve and a massive amount more with the switch to revenue based RDM, I can't be too upset with a modest increase in the # of miles for saver J redemptions.

When I saw the headline I was expecting much worse.
Count yourself in the minority on the revenue-based RDM being better. I get about 30% of the miles I used to get when the RDM was based on actual miles flown.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by slivrflyr
Ugh. There goes SQ/KF non-surcharge redemptions for Europe
Yes, that is the kind of thing I'm expecting to happen from this change at UA.

When DL and AA went down this path, the result was bad for those of us who use partner airline programs' miles/points for award tickets on US carriers.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by blueman2
Not terrible, but my guess is we will continue to see yearly devaluations going forward. .
This is the big worry.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Not awful, and doesn't actually impact the big trip I'm in the process of planning for early 2018, but still rather disheartening to see them moving towards revenue based awards.

I've been toying with the idea of switching spend from the Explorer card to the CSR in 2018, and booking with UR points to accumulate PQD, instead of going the CC waiver route. This is definitely a push in that direction.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Does this apply across the board or are premium flyers exempt?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
As an economy-class flyer, I'm not unhappy about this. The <800mi intra-EU flights for 8k might interest me. The only J award I might have been interested in was the 30k South Asia to Australia, so it's a shame to see that go. But as devals go, I'm not crying over this one.
There's basically no change for a Y traveler if not better. NA-AUS/NZ going up to 30K is a bummer but it was too good to be true. 8K intra-Asia award sounds awesome, too.

I believe dynamic pricing will turn out to be useful similar to AA's 20K AAnytime domestic one-way (depending on the date) or AS's system. 20K is not too bad once 12.5K is gone.

After seeing many worse devals (esp. DL), our bar is in the rock bottom.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by manstein58
Does this apply across the board or are premium flyers exempt?
Yes it will apply to all MileagePlus members. Is there a program that exempts premiers from new rules to the loyalty program?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
And this is why you shouldn't hoard miles. Spend as you earn em basically. The devalue fast.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: UAL LT Gold (used to be a 1K) 1.7MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Dynamic Pricing for awards coming November 1, 2017? (Everyday Awards)

Got this email from Mileage Plus, seems to indicate dynamic pricing for awards starting in November 2017:

Introducing Everyday Awards.

Since you're a valued United MileagePlus member, we'd like to share details with you about Everyday Awards, a new award travel option that will be available for bookings made on or after November 1, 2017.

Everyday Awards will replace Standard Awards, and prices will vary from flight to flight. While prices will fluctuate, we'll publish an award chart for Everyday Awards so that you'll know the highest number of miles needed for each award.

We'll also introduce an updated award chart for Saver Awards booked on or after November 1, 2017. With this updated Saver Award chart, you'll notice that select routes will have pricing changes, which may be higher or lower than today. However, there will be no pricing changes for Economy Saver Award travel to, from or within the 48 contiguous United States.

Here's the link that the "Learn More" button takes you to: http://mileageplusupdates.com/mileag...nglish/awards/
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:36 pm

I guess the 50K R/T I am seeing MSP to BDL/TPA/LAS/ RSW is a bargain today as it's going to 65K, lol

I can do the MSP/BDL nonstop on DL for 25k miles R/T and it's at least 3 hours shorter with much better departure/arrival times

I need to get another UA CC and burn my 200K or so points on gift cards.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by oopl
Yes it will apply to all MileagePlus members. Is there a program that exempts premiers from new rules to the loyalty program?
"Exempts" might be the wrong verb. There are certain benefits available to GS members in the Mileage Plus program which are not available to others
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
And this is why you shouldn't hoard miles. Spend as you earn em basically. The devalue fast.
True words. A poster above mentioned having 1M UA miles and only booking Y awards. That makes no sense to me. Hoarding miles in an account is not like saving cash that earns interest, miles LOSE value the longer they sit in an account.

On the whole, this change isn't terrible. UA's award program is still the best of the legacy carriers, in terms of pricing and availability.

Whether we like it or not, dynamic award pricing is definitely coming at some point. Once DL does it officially (and they are almost there, with the lack of an award chart), we can expect UA to pretty quickly follow suit. I really can't fault the airlines for that. It is crazy that paid fares can fluctuate so much yet award tickets are always the same saver or standard price.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: AS 100K
bummer that the sweet spot S-Asia to AUS/NZ F redemtion is going from 40k to 65k

the J redemption is also going up form 30k to 50k i think.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:27 pm

Award changes always seem to hit Hawaii locals particularly hard - perhaps there's an assumption that the only people traveling to the islands are leisure travelers on their 'dream vacation'. I guess as long as we're traveling in economy there's no change, so there's that positive. But knowing UA IT as I do, I can already anticipate the first phone call trying to explain to agents that a HNL-LAX-ORD-XXX routing is not the same as HNL-ORD-XXX. Of course, I suppose the point is moot since UA almost never makes premium cabin awards to/from HI available any more, particularly on the long-hauls.

Was really hoping for a rescinding of change/canx fees for Plats though, and that certainly didn't happen. But all in all, it could definitely have been worse.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.