Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Award redemption changes coming Nov. 1, 2017
http://mileageplusupdates.com/ (Thanks @joelfreak for providing link.)
  • Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" -- variable pricing
  • Some increases in longer haul international premium cabin saver awards (Generally 10% or less if any at all)
  • Some decreases on shorter non-stop partner saver flights outside the US
  • No changes for North America saver economy
  • No-show award redeposit fee $125 -- for everyone, no elite exemption.
  • Round the World awards are gone
  • No changes in UA/UX/Copa or *A mileage upgrades
*NEW* November 1, 2017 award chart

TPG has some tables showing changes to redemption costs.
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/06/uni...eryday-awards/

What if I need to change my existing Standard Award on or after November 1, 2017?

Any changes will require a ticket reissue and new pricing and additional fees may apply.
Print Wikipost

UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
From what I can see, Y awards are unaffected, but premium class awards have been hit. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
According to the chart the Mainland Saver Economy is still 10k/12.5k, however the new Everyday Economy (the old standard award) can now be up to 32.5k.

http://mileageplusupdates.com/images...ward-Chart.pdf
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mherdeg
Brutal.
Meh. If you cannot be bothered to cancel by scheduled departure time then you pay a penalty. Of all the new fees to add in this seems like one that is far better than the alternatives. DL locks you out at T-72 hours, right? And that's a full forfeit, not even a fee to redeposit IIRC.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by entropy
it looks like it could've been a lot worse.
I am not optimistic about this devaluation. I would put "the worst yet to come." It is another sad day to be a royal MP member.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Very Big Mileage Spreads between Saver and Everyday for Economy Class on all routes from North America..
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
I ll give it 2 years before all awards are cpm based at <1cpm redemption for real time pricing
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I feel like I'm missing something - I don't see how the fee for cancelling after departure is brutal. Not sure why you would be cancelling after scheduled departure unless you were gaming the system somehow?

What's killing me is the loss of the 40K TG F experience HKG-BKK-SYD. That was a steal (which is perhaps why it's changing).

As others have said, while I never want devaluation, this is not shocking. It's going to be more painful in the long run as I expect the end game will get us a lot closer to a fixed $ value of a miile against ticket prices.

Apart from what I earn from flying, everything else today is an Amex point or a Chase UR point. Best way I know to keep my options open with minimal effort.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by sbm12
Also, $125 redeposit fee if you do not cancel an award by departure time. Applies to ALL members, including elites.
https://twitter.com/WandrMe/status/880469913399439361
This is long overdue. ^
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by cricketer
What's killing me is the loss of the 40K TG F experience HKG-BKK-SYD. That was a steal (which is perhaps why it's changing).
And at 50k - the new price - it is far from unreasonable. The "shock" of a 25% increase can be tempered by the fact that it isn't actually that many miles.

Stuff got more expensive. That happens every now and then. Most of the changes on the more common awards are small. US-EU C goes from 57.5 to 60K. US to deep S. America went from 55 to 60k. I'm not going to cry over that sort of change.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by James603
According to the chart the Mainland Saver Economy is still 10k/12.5k, however the new Everyday Economy (the old standard award) can now be up to 32.5k.

http://mileageplusupdates.com/images...ward-Chart.pdf
This is the last straw after a lot of issues during my 2 years as a UA Plat. I'll be matching to AS this fall. Goodbye 40k TG First awards.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Stuff got more expensive. That happens every now and then. Most of the changes on the more common awards are small. US-EU C goes from 57.5 to 60K. US to deep S. America went from 55 to 60k. I'm not going to cry over that sort of change.
This of course assumes UA maintains decent saver availability instead of following the DL/AA model of limited or non-existent saver availability after introducing their own tiered standard awards.

Somehow I doubt Kirby forgot about them taking that approach at AA after introducing their multiple award tiers for standard awards.

I expect to see saver awards dry up and a big increase in standard awards at variable pricing (oh hey look your standard award is only 15k miles that's lower than the 25k we used to charge for that standard award - just don't remember that we used to have saver availability on this route)
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Duke787
This of course assumes UA maintains decent saver availability instead of following the DL/AA model of limited or non-existent saver availability after introducing their own tiered standard awards.
From the company:
Saver Award availability recently has increased by over 11 percentage points.
Maybe only on the routes no one ever wants, but with load factors continually and consistently north of 80% it would be foolish to expect award space on premium routes/times.

US didn't go 3-tier on awards like AA did. UA didn't cut off all award changes inside 72 hours like DL did. Yes, it raised some award rates. It also cut some, including on partners.

I get that everyone has a personal "sweet spot" that they like to redeem for. Mine used to be the double OJ + stopover for many cities on a trip. That's harder now, particularly across zones. But the program is far from worthless and, even with these changes, not materially worth less in most of the likely redemption scenarios I can think of.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:43 am

An 80k mile Explorer Card signup bonus soon then?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cricketer
I feel like I'm missing something - I don't see how the fee for cancelling after departure is brutal. Not sure why you would be cancelling after scheduled departure unless you were gaming the system somehow?

As others have said, while I never want devaluation, this is not shocking. It's going to be more painful in the long run as I expect the end game will get us a lot closer to a fixed $ value of a miile against ticket prices.
Agree, a fee for redeposit following a no-show is not unreasonable (though I almost had a heart attack when I first (mis) read Seth's post as saying that 1Ks will now be subject to redeposit fees).

This could have been much worse in light of what DL has done recently.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by Duke787
This is the most troubling thing I see. This is the first step to dynamic pricing and the AA/DL model of no Saver availability ever and highly dynamic price levels for everything else.

Everything else while frustrating is fine, this to me though is a big red flag. It also devalues standard awards which do provide some value especially when trying to book 1 cash ticket (paid by work or other) and 1 award and you need to be on the same flights.

Get ready for Everyday Awards

We’re introducing Everyday Awards, an award with pricing that will vary from flight to flight. Everyday Awards will replace Standard Awards for all award travel booked on or after November 1, 2017.
Yeah, might as well just go to revenue based award pricing... DL is ultimately heading there, maybe UA can just beat them to the punch
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
From the company:
Saver Award availability recently has increased by over 11 percentage points.
That cannot possibly true – I'm pretty sure UA just doesn't understand numbers. An 11 percentage point increase would imply that saver award availability went from, say, 9% of seats to 20% of seats (i.e., more than doubled in that example). Even if it were 0% initially, I doubt that 11% of seats are available for saver awards on the average flight.

Presumably what they meant to say is that availability increased by over 11 percent. It's a pretty meaningless statistic though since we have no idea how they're calculating it, what the baseline is, whether they're accounting for seasonality, etc. etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.