Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Award redemption changes coming Nov. 1, 2017
http://mileageplusupdates.com/ (Thanks @joelfreak for providing link.)
  • Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" -- variable pricing
  • Some increases in longer haul international premium cabin saver awards (Generally 10% or less if any at all)
  • Some decreases on shorter non-stop partner saver flights outside the US
  • No changes for North America saver economy
  • No-show award redeposit fee $125 -- for everyone, no elite exemption.
  • Round the World awards are gone
  • No changes in UA/UX/Copa or *A mileage upgrades
*NEW* November 1, 2017 award chart

TPG has some tables showing changes to redemption costs.
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/06/uni...eryday-awards/

What if I need to change my existing Standard Award on or after November 1, 2017?

Any changes will require a ticket reissue and new pricing and additional fees may apply.
Print Wikipost

UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2017, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ermintrude
Don't know where this came originally came from but I was sent this:

Non-stop economy class flights within a single region (outside the USA) will cost 8,000 miles one-way provided the flight distance is 800 miles or less.
From here:

http://mileageplusupdates.com/mileag...nglish/awards/
Old Jul 1, 2017, 9:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA1K (no longer serviced!), Bonvoy P, Hyatt G
This doesn't seem like a big deal if I can still convert Everyday into Saver with my GS benefits if there is T inventory.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 1:01 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
This is really bad. We (two of us) were hoping to take a vacation EWR-SYD in Dec 2018. That means we can't book until Jan 2018. I did my planning and we will have about 710,000 miles, 10,000 more than the 700,000 needed (175,000 x 4 for J class). Now we will need 800,000 (200,000 x 4). This sets our vacation back by another year or maybe even two years. Bleah!!!!!!

Well, at least this gives them a better chance to get the Polaris seats installed on the 78s by the time we go.

Last edited by phkc070408; Jul 2, 2017 at 1:05 am Reason: Addition
Old Jul 2, 2017, 1:19 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by 5khours
Not exactly. The big change UA made in partner awards a few years back was supposed to apply to changes made after the cut off date even if you bought the ticket before the cutoff data, but in fact it was not implemented and you could freely change after the cut off date. I suspect it was simply because they couldn't implement the "stated" policy with their computer system. Who knows what will happen this time.
I don't remember verbiage this specific regarding changes to existing reward reservations during a MP program redemption transition period. Feels like UA is addressing a loop hole in mentioning this gray area:

http://mileageplusupdates.com/mileag...nglish/awards/

What if I need to change my existing Standard Award on or after November 1, 2017?

Any changes will require a ticket reissue and new pricing and additional fees may apply.

SL
Old Jul 2, 2017, 5:20 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by phkc070408
This is really bad. We (two of us) were hoping to take a vacation EWR-SYD in Dec 2018. That means we can't book until Jan 2018. I did my planning and we will have about 710,000 miles, 10,000 more than the 700,000 needed (175,000 x 4 for J class). Now we will need 800,000 (200,000 x 4). This sets our vacation back by another year or maybe even two years. Bleah!!!!!!

Well, at least this gives them a better chance to get the Polaris seats installed on the 78s by the time we go.
There are lots of ways to get 90,000 extra RDM over the next year and a half rather than cancelling your vacation. Did you already consider CC bonuses, award accelerator, Marriott vacation packages, transferring from Chase, Coupon Connection, etc? On the other hand, waiting for Polaris seats might be worth it 😀
Old Jul 2, 2017, 5:51 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Why not just book a saver award for 90k x 4? Probably have to be on AC instead of UA, but if you're prepared to book 11 months out, you're likely to find something.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 6:06 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC

Originally Posted by Kremmen
Why not just book a saver award for 90k x 4? Probably have to be on AC instead of UA, but if you're prepared to book 11 months out, you're likely to find something.

So much this, You shouldn't be tied to UA metal for any reason for Award tickets and UA IME doesn't release Int'l saver awards like the rest of *A does. You should have no problem finding Business Saver awards if you start that far out.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:53 am

I thought the increase was for booking after nov 1?

Standard award for a flight in DEC travelling EWR - MAN is now 65k miles one way. Sure it used to be 60k?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EWRMAN
I thought the increase was for booking after nov 1?

Standard award for a flight in DEC EWR - MAN is now 65k miles one way. Sure it used to be 60k?
The price increase should take effect 11/1, yes. The Everyday award is listed at 70K (starting in November). My copy of the Standard Award chart from last year shows 65K. So, it looks like everything is correct. Perhaps you're thinking further back in the past?

Last edited by jsloan; Jul 5, 2017 at 11:58 am Reason: clarification
Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
The price increase should take effect 11/1, yes. The Everyday award is listed at 70K (starting in November). My copy of the Standard Award chart from last year shows 65K. So, it looks like everything is correct. Perhaps you're thinking further back in the past?
Thanks for clarifying. Much appreciated.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EWRMAN
Thanks for clarifying. Much appreciated.
No problem.

For future reference, here is a Wayback Machine link to the old chart, dated 6/16/2015. (HT: WineCountryUA on this thread: PDF award charts gone? ).
Old Jul 5, 2017, 1:58 pm

No problem.

For future reference, here is a Wayback Machine link to the old chart, dated 6/16/2015. (HT: WineCountryUA on this thread: PDF award charts gone? ).
Clicking on that link brings up the chart eff Nov 2017
Old Jul 5, 2017, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Clicking on that link brings up the chart eff Nov 2017
Are you sure? I tried it again, in three different browsers including Chrome incognito mode, and I get the 6/16/15 edition in all three. To be clear -- I mean the Wayback Machine one. UA has messed around with the charts on their website and is redirecting requests for the old chart to the new one.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 5:21 pm

Are you sure? I tried it again, in three different browsers including Chrome incognito mode, and I get the 6/16/15 edition in all three. To be clear -- I mean the Wayback Machine one. UA has messed around with the charts on their website and is redirecting requests for the old chart to the new one.
Solved! If I click on "here" the old chart comes up, clicking on the thread it displays the new chart.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by 5khours
"[we] are also introducing an updated Saver Award chart for tickets booked on or after November 1, 2017. You’ll notice that some routes will have pricing changes, including lower prices for most short-haul intra-region Economy awards for regions outside of the U.S., such as flights within Europe."

In my book, if you deliberately omit important information in order to mislead your customer, that is dishonest. If you deliberately mis-characterize a price increase as an "update," it's a lie. If you think, your customers are so dumb that they won't see through this transparent perfidy, it's arrogant. If you think lying to your customers in an arrogant manner won't affect your business, you're just a total dim-witted moron.

And yes.. UA used to be more straightforward than the other carriers... but not anymore. I hate doing business with liars.
In the e-mail that contains the link to which you quote from, UA states that saver awards "will have pricing changes, which may higher or lower than today" (that in itself is an uncommon blunt and open correct statement). The linked webpage just says pricing changes, as you quoted. So where's the omission? They don't state a direction on the webpage - implying increases and decreases - which is factually accurate with what they did. There are increases and decreases.

If you consider that "omission" a lie, then pretty much everything in the corporate world can be construed as a lie under your standards. What do you expect them to say? "We're changing the award chart, making you pay more miles for the same product, and you're going to like it!"? Not only would that be crazy to say, it's also inaccurate.

In my experiences, it's undeniable that UA is more straight-forward with program changes than AA, DL, and WN. The others won't give you advance warning and/or will simply hide changes to quietly devalue their programs. It's night-and-day different with UA and a breath of fresh air. I don't have to like the changes. As a whole I don't. But I can respect how they are treating me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.