Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Award redemption changes coming Nov. 1, 2017
http://mileageplusupdates.com/ (Thanks @joelfreak for providing link.)
  • Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" -- variable pricing
  • Some increases in longer haul international premium cabin saver awards (Generally 10% or less if any at all)
  • Some decreases on shorter non-stop partner saver flights outside the US
  • No changes for North America saver economy
  • No-show award redeposit fee $125 -- for everyone, no elite exemption.
  • Round the World awards are gone
  • No changes in UA/UX/Copa or *A mileage upgrades
*NEW* November 1, 2017 award chart

TPG has some tables showing changes to redemption costs.
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/06/uni...eryday-awards/

What if I need to change my existing Standard Award on or after November 1, 2017?

Any changes will require a ticket reissue and new pricing and additional fees may apply.
Print Wikipost

UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tandrsmom
... Everyday economy will go from 37.5K to 40K, if I read the tiny type correctly. Being a little confused about how Everyday awards are supposed to fluctuate, does this mean 40K is the most the award will cost, but it might be less? ...
That's the theory.
... If I know for sure I will be traveling that day, should I just book now for the confirmed 37.5K? ....
No one here can give you any useful information. We don't know how this will play out. You may be able to get a future award for less or it may be more.
So what is your risk tolerance?

Originally Posted by kkl
If i book a trip now, and change dates after Nov 1st. Will i have to pay the mileage difference?
The thinking is if you just change dates and the routing stays the same, then the mileage needed will not change.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I have a firm date for a flight from Cozumel (CZM) - PDX in August. Right now there are only standard awards, which I understand will be replaced with everyday awards on Nov. 1st. When I looked at the comparison award chart Old -> New, it looks like Everyday economy will go from 37.5K to 40K, if I read the tiny type correctly. Being a little confused about how Everyday awards are supposed to fluctuate, does this mean 40K is the most the award will cost, but it might be less?
If I know for sure I will be traveling that day, should I just book now for the confirmed 37.5K?
Thanks for any help!
i actually just was wondering the same for a situation. I posted on another award thread (saver space for a return disappeared while I was trying to book, and now only standard available). Lots of general availability, it seems, so my plan is to keep checking for saver, and if I don’t see it, will book standard sometime on Oct. 31. If the everyday price is lower, I should be able to make the change without penalty to the lower price. If it’s higher, obviously, will leave as is.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by JHake10
I booked Thai F from HKG-BKK-SYD for 40K. Now to plan the rest of that trip
You and like nearly everyone else with UA miles, In the last 6 weeks I've watched nearly all Thai F BKK<->SYD vanish for the next 11 months
Really annoying as I have a pile of paid J tickets with Thai and no options of upgrading it to F any more (

The above said... I've booked a pile of stuff with THai/ANA/Asiana and hoping I can change dates without penalty, If I can't change dates without penalty I'll just refund the stuff and try again later
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:12 am
kkl

Just got off the phone with United. ANY changes in bookings made before Nov 1st will incur mileage difference.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:29 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by kkl
Just got off the phone with United. ANY changes in bookings made before Nov 1st will incur mileage difference.
Do you mean after Nov 1st ...
Old Oct 26, 2017, 6:34 am
formerly Goflyer100

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion - Hilton Diamond
Afther the changes made on Oct. 6 2016, is it still possible to change the routing? For example, when I book HKG-BKK, can I change this after booking in HKG-TPE-BKK? So in other words, is it still possible to have like 11 segments in one booking?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goflyer100
Afther the changes made on Oct. 6 2016, is it still possible to change the routing? For example, when I book HKG-BKK, can I change this after booking in HKG-TPE-BKK? So in other words, is it still possible to have like 11 segments in one booking?
The general rule is that you can change to anything that shows up in a search from origin to destination, but you can not piece together awards and expect them to price as a single award.

HKG-TPE-BKK is a definite no-go, and probably was under the old system too; you can't transit North Asia on a South Asia award. If you tried to make that change, it would price as 2 * South Asia - North Asia. On the other hand, HKG-SIN-BKK is likely to come up on an HKG-BKK search and therefore be bookable as a single award.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:48 am
kkl

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
Do you mean after Nov 1st ...
Yeh after
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kkl
Yeh after
Personally, I think this should be the default assumption -- until we see definitive evidence otherwise, I'm going to assume that any award changes I make after 11/1 will be re-priced. I look forward to seeing actual experiences as they occur.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:39 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
one question-it seems some of the 8000miles flights can now be booked in the system-(eg icn pvg)however others which should have been updated which havent(eg sdj icn)

are these all the changes or will more be updated?
thanks
Old Oct 27, 2017, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe
i actually just was wondering the same for a situation. I posted on another award thread (saver space for a return disappeared while I was trying to book, and now only standard available). Lots of general availability, it seems, so my plan is to keep checking for saver, and if I don’t see it, will book standard sometime on Oct. 31. If the everyday price is lower, I should be able to make the change without penalty to the lower price. If it’s higher, obviously, will leave as is.
I didn't even think about being able to cancel and redeposit the miles and rebook if the flights come in at significantly fewer miles after Nov. 1. Good reminder.

I did go ahead and book the flights, and will keep checking...
Old Oct 27, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL Silver, SW, BA, AC 25k, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
one question-it seems some of the 8000miles flights can now be booked in the system-(eg icn pvg)however others which should have been updated which havent(eg sdj icn)

are these all the changes or will more be updated?
thanks
SDJ-ICN would be traversing two different regions (Japan and North Asia). The 8,000 mile redemption amounts require:

1)Travel within the same region
2)Flight distance 800 miles or less
3)Nonstop Flight
Old Oct 27, 2017, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I didn't even think about being able to cancel and redeposit the miles and rebook if the flights come in at significantly fewer miles after Nov. 1. Good reminder.

I did go ahead and book the flights, and will keep checking...
im just a gold, so have the fee now. Mine would come under the 24 hour flexible change policy. But even better if your status allows changes without fees - obviously you have way more flexibility that way.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by LordTentacle
You and like nearly everyone else with UA miles, In the last 6 weeks I've watched nearly all Thai F BKK<->SYD vanish for the next 11 months
Really annoying as I have a pile of paid J tickets with Thai and no options of upgrading it to F any more (

The above said... I've booked a pile of stuff with THai/ANA/Asiana and hoping I can change dates without penalty, If I can't change dates without penalty I'll just refund the stuff and try again later
This is in Sept 2018, hopefully I'm not cramping your style too much

I also booked SYD-SIN-HKG in SQ Suites. Will be a hell of a trip!
Old Oct 28, 2017, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by brooks_87
The 8,000 mile redemption amounts require:

1)Travel within the same region
2)Flight distance 800 miles or less
3)Nonstop Flight
Is 3) required? There is no mention of it on the United chart. And current US <700 miles awards do not have to be non-stop. For instance, BOS-IAD-DTW requires 10,000 miles and is not non-stop and the distance with the stop is greater than 700 miles (BOS-DTW is 633, while BOS-IAD-DTW is 796 miles).

So I think the rules will be
1) Travel within the same region
2) Non-stop flight distance 800 miles or less
3) Connections possible according to usual routing rules

Edit: The partner award chart has a non-stop restriction. It seems that non-US low-mileage awards have different rules than US ones

Last edited by Plusflyer; Oct 28, 2017 at 1:44 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.