Any Hawaii fare sale coming?

Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Any Hawaii fare sale coming?

Hi there,

I did a trip trip to Hawaii in UA J class last year, and it was sensational - both the trip AND the price.

This year I'd been monitoring fares, they were similarly low, but didn't pull the trigger in time. Now they've doubled.

Is there any "tribal knowledge" about when to expect fare sales ? We're not going until October, so still plenty of time.

Appreciate any insight !
Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dodgy73
Hi there,

I did a trip trip to Hawaii in UA J class last year, and it was sensational - both the trip AND the price.

This year I'd been monitoring fares, they were similarly low, but didn't pull the trigger in time. Now they've doubled.

Is there any "tribal knowledge" about when to expect fare sales ? We're not going until October, so still plenty of time.

Appreciate any insight !
\

You missed ~$2700 r.t. LHR-Hawaii mid-week P fares that were available for a couple of days in mid-May (with more lie-flats than ever available to Hawaii from U.S.). You should've pulled the trigger. May not see them again. Those fares are virtually snooze-you-lose events. If small chance exists they do show up again, it'll probably be before start of fall. Never have seen spectacular fares after September 1 between Hawaii and the E.U. (and GB ).

The OGG-LHR itinerary I bought for $2700 is now $4300, which is about as low as I've seen since May.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 28, 2017 at 12:46 pm
Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Where are you flying from?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Is there any "tribal knowledge" about when to expect fare sales ?
Sure...whenever the airline decides to do it.

Other than that it is just random guessing with minimal chance of accuracy.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
There are ongoing great J fares ex-YYZ and ex-YUL for less than US$1,200 RT.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:24 am
Original Poster

That's the one ! Ex-YYZ I had seen fares of $1,400CAD.They appear to be gone though.

My thought was that they might be part of a (systemwide) fare sale.

Hope they make a return, definitely should have booked ! AA is still offering low fares in J, but I want to fly UA.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Hasn't gone anywhere. YYZ-HNL for CAD 1,437.36. Guessing your dates just don't have inventory at the moment.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by transportprof
Where are you flying from?
Will make my way from LHR to YYZ, and do the HNL trip from YYZ.

Fingers crossed, I want to avoid LAX and SFO - otherwise it'll just be domestic F seating.really want the lie-flat service.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Good news, my ex-YYZ fare sale is back. Are there any ITA Matrix gurus about ?

I want to travel YYZ/ORD/HNL on UA booking code P and connect HNL/LIH on WP booking code S.

I tried "YYZ:: UA,WP /F UA..P-|WP..S-", but no joy. Can anyone help with the proper syntax to specify this ?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I want to travel YYZ/ORD/HNL on UA booking code P and connect HNL/LIH on WP booking code S.
Assuming you are in tune with the fact that the routing and fare construction parts now go in different boxes and the :: is totally notional now:

Code:
YYZ :: UA ORD UA HNL WP /f bc=p :: LIH
But you cannot do this. The fare rules don't allow flying on WP or HA from YTO to LIH, so you have to route via a UA metal flight from the mainland.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Assuming you are in tune with the fact that the routing and fare construction parts now go in different boxes and the :: is totally notional now:

Code:
YYZ :: UA ORD UA HNL WP /f bc=p :: LIH

But you cannot do this. The fare rules don't allow flying on WP or HA from YTO to LIH, so you have to route via a UA metal flight from the mainland.
I have flown into LIH on WP metal from YVR on UA P fares. It was on a UA code-share for the HNL-LIH leg, with a stopover in SFO, so perhaps there were different fare rules?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Good news, my ex-YYZ fare sale is back. Are there any ITA Matrix gurus about ?

I tried "YYZ:: UA,WP /F UA..P-|WP..S-", but no joy. Can anyone help with the proper syntax to specify this ?
The WP tag-on to LIH is messing it up. Book that separately or try to get a travel agent to combine the coach and business class flights together on a single booking.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have flown into LIH on WP metal from YVR on UA P fares. It was on a UA code-share for the HNL-LIH leg, with a stopover in SFO, so perhaps there were different fare rules?
Quite possibly. All I know is that this fare (KNA4A9EN/UPDI YTO/LIH) requires:

Code:
   AND
   THE FARE COMPONENT MUST BE ON
       ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
           UA FLIGHTS 4051 THROUGH 4084 OPERATED BY 3M
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY 9K
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY 9L
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AX
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY C5
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY EV
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY G7
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY OO
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY RP
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY S5
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY UA
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY XE
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY YV
           ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY YX.
Given that the routing prices in full F, I assume other fares in the market are similar.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Quite possibly. All I know is that this fare (KNA4A9EN/UPDI YTO/LIH) requires:

Code:
AND
THE FARE COMPONENT MUST BE ON
ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING
UA FLIGHTS 4051 THROUGH 4084 OPERATED BY 3M
ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY 9K
ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY 9L
ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY AX
ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY C5
ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY EV
ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY G7
ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY OO
ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY RP
ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY S5
ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY UA
ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY XE
ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY YV
ANY UA FLIGHT OPERATED BY YX.
Given that the routing prices in full F, I assume other fares in the market are similar.
So can there be a fare break engineered at ORD, DEN, SFO, or LAX that would open up WP and HA codesharing?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So can there be a fare break engineered at ORD, DEN, SFO, or LAX that would open up WP and HA codesharing?
Potentially, but those markets may not be on sale, and they'd need to allow end-on-end ticketing with a UA cross-border fare.

I don't see a fare class exception for the P fare for UA flights. (In other words, it looks like P inventory is required). Does that effectively mean that it can't be used to route on any single-class plane, regardless of carrier? My understanding is that you would only use the WP fare class mapping if you were using a WP code; perhaps I'm mistaken?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.