Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best *G IAD Lounge for UA flyers {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best *G IAD Lounge for UA flyers {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
I'd go TK = LH Sen > GFL >>>> UC.

The exact call depends on the weight you place on food, drink, and crowdedness (which varies according to time of day). I stopped by TK and GFL last week and was completely underwhelmed by the latter.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Depending on the time, the TK lounge can get pretty busy.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA
The GFL is decent in comparison to the IAD LH and TK lounges. I posted a recent update on the IAD lounge in a different thread on this forum. The positives about the GFL is it’s typically very quiet and there is self-serve alcohol including two very respectable champagnes.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
Originally Posted by Artpen100

LH Sen has best food, TK second, but GFL has the best champagne. Go early and visit two or three.
This. I go to GFL for the champers, and stay for the champers. ^ The ambiance is decidedly lacking,
Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
What is the use of better ambience, nice decoration and furniture, if the lounge is crowded and having to flight for space?

Simply head to the GFL! Better champagne, quiet space, no crowd fighting over food and drinks, and calm before the flight.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:15 am
Suspended

If have access GFL is way to go. TK lounge (like the one is IST) is totally overrun. The situation at IAD is dreadful to the point where it is so packed I turn and leave. It’s a shame TK have so degraded their product with such open access.

UA could easily improve the ambience with some of the furniture and art from closed GFL in SFO and ORD. I wonder what they did with it?

The LH SEN lounge is ok, nice views and there is a roped off first section with nice seating. I am not sure if they still offer better food and drink in this first class only section?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
The cordoned off first class are is a bit of a joke. Basically if you're in first class you get a rose on your table; that's the only difference. :-)
I do know you get real champagne in the cordoned off area. I don't know, but suspect, that you can order a sit-down meal off a menu, like AF does in their semi-secret Premiere area in their lounge at IAD. Too bad LH does not treat UA Polaris First flyers like LH first in the Senator lounge. If they did, for the champagne, I would not bother with the GFL lounge.

Originally Posted by findark
With that set, you have access to almost every lounge at IAD except the GFL (United Club, LH, TK, AF, BA, VS). If you only have 1h30 arrival-to-departure though, I would just use the United Club. It's definitely the worst lounge, but with that little time I wouldn't want to add the trek around the A/B concourse just for 15 minutes in a nicer lounge. Timing permitting, I might even just stand in the gate area.
I agree with that, just because the time is so short with passport control and transiting bags to go to the A/B terminal. I would only add that VS, AF and BA are time limited (usually ending around 1:30pm) for PP and on top of that, don't seem to put out real food and drink until the afternoon when their own airline's customers come in for the evening bank of flights. LH and TK are not time limited, and have good food all the time.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 13, 2018 at 9:18 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Artpen100
I agree with that, just because the time is so short with passport control and transiting bags to go to the A/B terminal. I would only add that VS, AF and BA are time limited (usually ending around 1:30pm) for PP and on top of that, don't seem to put out real food and drink until the afternoon when their own airline's customers come in for the evening bank of flights. LH and TK are not time limited, and have good food all the time.
Interesting, I didnt realize VS was now a PP lounge at IAD. What does it offer for food and beverages during PP hours?

I am not sure the LH SEN First Class section still offers champagne, were your experiences recent?
Old Jul 7, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA PLAT, DL PLAT, EK SILVER
I’m headed to IAD on Monday - is there real champagne at LH SEN? Trying to decide between TK and LH.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
Let the record show that the United Global First lounge at Dulles closed June 30. It's only UCs for now, until the new Polaris Lounge is stood up at IAD. Unfortunately, that's going to be a while (last I read was late 2019, early 2020.)
Old Jul 8, 2018, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by big V
Let the record show that the United Global First lounge at Dulles closed June 30. It's only UCs for now, until the new Polaris Lounge is stood up at IAD. Unfortunately, that's going to be a while (last I read was late 2019, early 2020.)
They can race the Silver Line
Old Jul 8, 2018, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SvenB1414
I’m headed to IAD on Monday - is there real champagne at LH SEN? Trying to decide between TK and LH.
sometimes. You have to ask. I think technically this is only for F/HON, but you can get it. Some bartenders don't give it out and some do.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA PLAT, DL PLAT, EK SILVER
Thanks! Will report back
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
No, it's Sekt typically at LH. TK has had different sparklers, including Prosecco and a British sparkler (that was early days - it was pretty good!)
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA
I was there on June 10 - they had non-champagne, but still pretty good (don't remember what type) sparkling wine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.