Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best *G IAD Lounge for UA flyers {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best *G IAD Lounge for UA flyers {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I timed myself going from LH lounge to D8 by train (from B to C, then walking): 20 minutes almost exactly. Anyone want to compare by buggy?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Portolan
I think you've confused the concourses at IAD. First, the LH lounge is closer to the B train stop than the A stop. Even the TK lounge is marginally closer to the B stop even though it is farther the B-A concourse than LH.

The C train terminal is the one a long way from the C-D concourse. There is a reason for this, of course. The C train stop is where the long planned (and currently dormant, AFAIK) new mid-field terminal will be. That terminal would be built while the current C-D remained operational hence it is farther down the field than the current 30+ year old "temporary" mid-field terminal which UA calls home.
+1. I have tried two approaches: Lounge->B Stop-->Train around to C and Lounge->A Stop->Train from A to C (shorter). I think the first is faster because the train is faster from B around to A than walking from the lounges is. Of course, if you have to wait for the train that can alter it.

The real hassle is getting to D because there's no train. I haven't had to fly from D after using the lounge so haven't tested it.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by fumje
I timed myself going from LH lounge to D8 by train (from B to C, then walking): 20 minutes almost exactly. Anyone want to compare by buggy?
that's the timing I typically have going from LH to the UA D Gates. The buggy going from D I think will actually take longer because you have to walk to A. Then take the buggy to D and sometimes it could be about an eight or nine minute wait until the next buggy travels . I like the train option when originating from LH
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:23 am

BTW, anyone know why the Aerotrain wasn't extended to the D gates (or at least to a spot underneath where the D gates would be if the new C/D concourse ever gets built?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Portolan
I think you've confused the concourses at IAD. First, the LH lounge is closer to the B train stop than the A stop. Even the TK lounge is marginally closer to the B stop even though it is farther the B-A concourse than LH.

The C train terminal is the one a long way from the C-D concourse. There is a reason for this, of course. The C train stop is where the long planned (and currently dormant, AFAIK) new mid-field terminal will be. That terminal would be built while the current C-D remained operational hence it is farther down the field than the current 30+ year old "temporary" mid-field terminal which UA calls home.
Maybe I do have it confused, I remember the walk from the B stop to the actual exit in the B terminal being longer than walking from the A stop to the LH/TK lounges? The A stop is also 2 stops before B so going from C>A is 1 stop, while C>B is 3. I usually just do D buggy to A anyways.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by thejaredhuang
Maybe I do have it confused, I remember the walk from the B stop to the actual exit in the B terminal being longer than walking from the A stop to the LH/TK lounges?
Definitely not - the B stop is very close to the LH lounge (maybe 150 feet from top of escalator) near gates B49/51 and TK lounge just a bit further down (maybe another 100 feet?) near gate 43.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by drewguy
BTW, anyone know why the Aerotrain wasn't extended to the D gates (or at least to a spot underneath where the D gates would be if the new C/D concourse ever gets built?
I thought I saw somewhere that it was partially funding and the other reason was the "unknowns" surrounding a new terminal for United.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by swiftaw
So I'll be in IAD from about 4pm to 6:30pm, looking at the LH departures they have one at about 7pm and then one much later in the evening, whereas Turkish seems to only have a late night departure. This would seem to imply that the Turkish lounge might be much less busy during my time there.
it was packed last time I was in there - I think i was on an IAD-SFO flight around 5:30 (was a 777 at the time). Definitely lots of Saudia pax in there - I think that flight leaves around 6 or so much of your time there would be prime time for that.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:02 pm
formerly gantid

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Platinum, Marriott Platinum elite, *G, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe

it was packed last time I was in there - I think i was on an IAD-SFO flight around 5:30 (was a 777 at the time). Definitely lots of Saudia pax in there - I think that flight leaves around 6 or so much of your time there would be prime time for that.
I was just in the Turkish lounge (last week) around 4 PM and it was absolutely packed. There were no empty seats at all. it is hard to say where they were flying to. I decided to give up and go to the LH Sen lounge (it was a bit crowded but a few seats were available).
Old Mar 13, 2018, 1:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Are Turkish and LH Senator open to *G and United Gold when flying on Star Alliance?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 1:58 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hokiebuy
Are Turkish and LH Senator open to *G and United Gold when flying on Star Alliance?
Yes (and no domestic restrictions for UA *Gs like UCs have)

Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [2014 forward]

Access / reviews for TK's IAD *A lounge

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 13, 2018 at 2:06 am Reason: links
Old Mar 13, 2018, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Machine

that's the timing I typically have going from LH to the UA D Gates. The buggy going from D I think will actually take longer because you have to walk to A. Then take the buggy to D and sometimes it could be about an eight or nine minute wait until the next buggy travels . I like the train option when originating from LH
The added time to the train from TK can't be more than two minutes. So unless the average time with buggy wait from there to D is less than 18min.—and I don't think it is—the train always makes more sense.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
If the gate assignments hold, it looks like I'll be arriving at D15 and leaving from C2
Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by swiftaw
If the gate assignments hold, it looks like I'll be arriving at D15 and leaving from C2
You're right next to the moonbuggy gate at D15, so worth at least seeing if you can catch it quickly and then walk from A to the lounges. On the way back, train from B is best approach, with walk plus walk to C2.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by washingtonian_2017
I was just in the Turkish lounge (last week) around 4 PM and it was absolutely packed. There were no empty seats at all. it is hard to say where they were flying to. I decided to give up and go to the LH Sen lounge (it was a bit crowded but a few seats were available).
I had the same issue with the Turkish lounge back in January but it was a late AM flight for me. The LH lounge was also packed. I have to admit the quality at both lounges has gone down hill IMHO. I was not particularly impressed with the Turkish Lounge. It looked old and worn even thought it's relatively new.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.