Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best *G IAD Lounge for UA flyers {Archive}

Best *G IAD Lounge for UA flyers {Archive}

Old Feb 3, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by seacarl
A variation on this question - *G, traveling in international short haul P class with an overnight connection at IAD. Can I use my BP for the departing flight the next morning to access the LH lounge on arrival the night before? In some cases the rule is the BP has to be within 24 hours, and that would work. In other cases it has to be same calendar day, which would fail.
I thought it's for same day (Calendar)boarding pass ( not within 24 hours) departing the airport. But if you're coming in on the premium class ticket you may have arrival privileges. You raise a good question and it piqued my curiosity, Hopefully someone here with experience will confirm. Best of luck and safe travels
Old Feb 3, 2018, 9:53 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Per recent discussions here, “same day” is the rule but it seems to be interpreted as “within 24 hours.”
Old Feb 3, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Per recent discussions here, same day is the rule but it seems to be interpreted as within 24 hours.
Yes I was trying to understand which interpretation is in effect. But since the TK lounge is nearby and I have PP, that will be a backup option.

I also noticed that on some days of the week the LH lounge closes at 17:30.

I've been to both LH and TK lounges, and generally prefer LH as it usually has more available seating, and while there is less warm food, the food quality is as good. But they are both way superior to United Club.

I wonder whether UA is going to build a Polaris Lounge at IAD or whether that will be done when the new concourse is built at IAD. Maybe not in my lifetime.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:28 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
1h20m. Enough time for a lounge visit?

I have a 1h20m layover in the morning. Into C26, out of D21. No UA Club access but I have Priority Pass. Would it make sense to trek over to A, go to one of the PP lounges and then take the buggy back to D gates? Thinking about terminal transfer time, I'd probably have no more than 30 minutes in the lounge? It would be nice to have a quiet place to sit down, read a bit and have a morning glass of... something.

Any advice appreciated!
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What time will you be there? The PP lounge can get pretty crowded.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM
What time will you be there? The PP lounge can get pretty crowded.
7:20a to 8:40a
Old Feb 28, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by gobears293
I have a 1h20m layover in the morning. Into C26, out of D21. No UA Club access but I have Priority Pass. Would it make sense to trek over to A, go to one of the PP lounges and then take the buggy back to D gates? Thinking about terminal transfer time, I'd probably have no more than 30 minutes in the lounge? It would be nice to have a quiet place to sit down, read a bit and have a morning glass of... something.

Any advice appreciated!
Probably less. I'd figure on 20 minutes each way, although 15 is more likely. 30 mins would mean boarding at last call.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by gobears293

Any advice appreciated!
In my opinion 1:20 is not enough time to make it over to the Priority Pass lounges in Terminal B. From C26 it will probably take you 10 minutes to get to the train. You would either alight at A and have a 5-10 minute walk, or a longer ride to B and a shorter walk. All together it is at least 20 minutes to get to the lounge. If your flight boards 30 minutes departure, you would have no more than 10 minutes in the lounge before heading back. There are mobile lounges to D but the only operate during limited hours - you may have to take the train back to C and a long walk, or to the main terminal and then a mobile lounge to D.

It's really at the 2 hour layover mark that a visit to B starts to pencil out - or if you are originating at IAD and have extra time.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 1:27 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
There are mobile lounges to D but the only operate during limited hours - you may have to take the train back to C and a long walk, or to the main terminal and then a mobile lounge to D
There are two holes in the A-to-D mobile-lounge schedule--see the picture I took in November after almost getting burned by one--but neither will apply in this case. And the AF lounge is at worst a five-minute walk from the lounge gate. Conservatively budgeting 20 minutes for each leg of the commute, and you have... yeah, like 15 minutes unless you're okay boarding very late. Still enough time to get a bite and a glass of bubbly, but verify that the mobile-lounge hours haven't changed after getting off the Aerotrain.

Last edited by DCA writer; Mar 1, 2018 at 1:30 am Reason: layout glitch
Old Mar 1, 2018, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by drewguy
Probably less. I'd figure on 20 minutes each way, although 15 is more likely. 30 mins would mean boarding at last call.
In my opinion 1:20 is not enough time to make it over to the Priority Pass lounges in Terminal B. From C26 it will probably take you 10 minutes to get to the train. You would either alight at A and have a 5-10 minute walk, or a longer ride to B and a shorter walk. All together it is at least 20 minutes to get to the lounge. If your flight boards 30 minutes departure, you would have no more than 10 minutes in the lounge before heading back. There are mobile lounges to D but the only operate during limited hours - you may have to take the train back to C and a long walk, or to the main terminal and then a mobile lounge to D.

It's really at the 2 hour layover mark that a visit to B starts to pencil out - or if you are originating at IAD and have extra time.
Originally Posted by DCA writer
There are two holes in the A-to-D mobile-lounge schedule--see the picture I took in November after almost getting burned by one--but neither will apply in this case. And the AF lounge is at worst a five-minute walk from the lounge gate. Conservatively budgeting 20 minutes for each leg of the commute, and you have... yeah, like 15 minutes unless you're okay boarding very late. Still enough time to get a bite and a glass of bubbly, but verify that the mobile-lounge hours haven't changed after getting off the Aerotrain.
Thank you all for the advice. My departing flight is a 757, so I think United will want to start the boarding 2 hours ahead of time

If my inbound is on-time, I might try it, just to re-familiarize myself with IAD terminals (been a few years). I have a six hour flight back to SFO in a middle (E+ thank goodness), so a bit of walking pre-flight would be nice.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 7:19 am

Another heads-up is that even during the "rush hours", the A->D buggy only runs every 7-9 minutes, so if you just miss it...

Also, in the mornings, the BA lounge close to the B train station should be accessible through PP.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA EXPLAT, AS MVP 75K, Star Alliance Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, SPG GOLD, HH Gold
Flying LH F next week, was wondering if I am able to access the UA global first (thought I read somewhere they don't allow LH pax) and TK lounges??? Have a decent layover and get bored easily so was thinking of stretching my legs and checking out a few other lounges if possible...Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Old Mar 3, 2018, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Levi Maeschan
Flying LH F next week, was wondering if I am able to access the UA global first (thought I read somewhere they don't allow LH pax) and TK lounges??? Have a decent layover and get bored easily so was thinking of stretching my legs and checking out a few other lounges if possible...Any information would be greatly appreciated!
You will have access.

I was just in this lounge last month...still just like old times.

Decent rose champagne and a fair selection of food.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA EXPLAT, AS MVP 75K, Star Alliance Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, SPG GOLD, HH Gold
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
You will have access.

I was just in this lounge last month...still just like old times.

Decent rose champagne and a fair selection of food.

Appreciate that information!!! Ill definitely stop by to at least check it out and grab a drink or two, thanks!
Old Mar 3, 2018, 11:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Levi Maeschan
Flying LH F next week, was wondering if I am able to access the UA global first (thought I read somewhere they don't allow LH pax) and TK lounges???.....
Which direction are you flying? You can access the IFL @ IAD if departing in LH F but not if arriving in LH F.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.