Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Baby Almost Dies Due to Airplane Temperature

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baby Almost Dies Due to Airplane Temperature

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
It's usually 10-15 degrees warmer in the cockpit than it is in the cabin. I found it comical that people buy in to the fact the pilots are willing to sweat their butts off to save on APU fuel costs. Folks, that's just not the case.

Passenger (pilot comfort) takes precedence over fuel savings. Always has, always will...

It's been a long time since I've flown a CRJ. I remember the APU always struggled to cool the airplane, that unfortunately is a systems limitation. Near impossible to cool the plane with the door open...
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fly18725
....There are some planes, like the CRJ, and some conditions, where the airplane will struggle to be cool on the ground under any circumstances.
Yeah, try getting on one of these in DFW in the middle of summer. It's pretty brutal.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
Or teach parents not to travel at the hottest time of the day with such a young baby.
Wow... I've seen some stuff on FT but this really takes the cake. When I travel with my currently 2yr old and 3mos old children I choose based on when they need to feed, sleep and their schedule. As I expect it would not be so hot on a plane to cause this kind of issue...

wow...
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I realize the APU has limitations but can't the pilot start up an engine or two? wouldn't that provide enough power to cool the entire aircraft? Ofcourse that would burn up more fuel/money
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LarryJ
For a new law to be effective, it will have to require changes in the design of the aircraft. Short of that, all it'll do is cause flights to be cancelled when the internal temperature can not be controlled to whatever standard they set.
And when they start losing money from cancelling flights they'll do what they need to fix the problem.

Besides, there's a better way to do it: Make the airline owe the passengers say $1/minute when the cabin temperature exceeds some threshold. Nothing cancelled but they're pressured to fix it pronto.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by eng3
I realize the APU has limitations but can't the pilot start up an engine or two? wouldn't that provide enough power to cool the entire aircraft? Ofcourse that would burn up more fuel/money
Safety issues for ground workers, FOD ingestion, etc.

And if it's a limitation of the packs, more power doesn't do you any good.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by clubord
It's usually 10-15 degrees warmer in the cockpit than it is in the cabin. I found it comical that people buy in to the fact the pilots are willing to sweat their butts off to save on APU fuel costs. Folks, that's just not the case.

Passenger (pilot comfort) takes precedence over fuel savings. Always has, always will...

It's been a long time since I've flown a CRJ. I remember the APU always struggled to cool the airplane, that unfortunately is a systems limitation. Near impossible to cool the plane with the door open...
I was on a mainline 320
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by eng3
I realize the APU has limitations but can't the pilot start up an engine or two? wouldn't that provide enough power to cool the entire aircraft? Of course that would burn up more fuel/money
No. The ground crews can't service and load the aircraft with engines running. It wouldn't be safe.

Even if they could, the engines at ground-idle don't provide enough air pressure to keep the cabins cool. The APU does a better job on the ground.

Lots of people are saying that the airplanes are hot because we are supposed to save money and not run the APU but our manuals say otherwise. Comfort comes second only to safety.

The order of operating priorities, straight from our flight manual, are:

1. Safe
2. Comfortable
3. On-time
4. Efficient
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by PacificClipper
In my experience this is post-merger change for the worse that remains till this day. In my experience pmUA normally ran the APU at the gate and taxi out, keeping the cabin comfortably cool. Time and time again I recall flying on CO metal with sweat running down my back as we baked during boarding and taxi. Name your airport, always the same experience. The CO answer to the problem was to ask passengers to lower their window shades on arrival so the plane would be “cool” for the next flight. Eventually it must have become SOP across both UA and CO metal to only use ground power where available. However with crews always pressed for time it's somehow lower on their checklist while sitting at the gate. Often boarding has been running for 20 or more minutes before the ground AC is connected.

I complain about the hot cabin temperature to Customer Care and in surveys every time it happens. It’s going to take someone having a resulting health issue on board for United to react. While boarding a recent steam jet, the FA at the door saw my reaction and said with an eye roll “It costs money to run the AC” as she fanned herself with a safety card. It’s been proven over and over that hot temperatures can make people irritable — last thing you want on a plane.

In contrast I have boarded an AA321 in PHX on a 95 degree day and the cabin was icy cold. Sometimes the simple things aren't simple at United.
+1. I flew co before coming back to Ua pre-merger and hot a/c were a constant issue, particularly rjs. Never had the issue pre-merger on Ua, nor on as or dl. ❄️❄️❄️
Old Jun 27, 2017, 4:27 pm

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
I've had this issue on DL and LH recently. This isn't just a UA thing. Worse still, no one seemed to care too much, just in a hurry-up-and-get-over philosophy.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Sounds like Trans States and UA did everything they could. Once again a fake news story. What was good service is spun as bad service because it's an airline. The ultimate kicker is that the mother GOT BACK ON the known warm plane. Stupid. That baby should have stayed in the cool terminal and gotten attention.

We almost had to divert on one of my recent mainline DL flights. It was uncomfortably warm on the plane, and on the ground the air simply wasn't enough to cool it down. And to top it off, we had a small delay at the gate for a mechanical issue, so we sat and warmed the plane even more. Once we got into the air, the passenger directly front of me got very overheated. He was in his early 20s and in the middle of a big life changing move, so that didn't help. It all compounded to where he was very visibly not doing well. The crew brought ice and kept monitoring him, keeping help ready in case he got worse. The pilots were notified of the situation and that a divert might be necessary. Thankfully he cooled down and felt better, allowing the flight to continue as planned.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
Or teach parents not to travel at the hottest time of the day with such a young baby.
Ah look, we have a winner for the dumbest comment of the year.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by LarryJ
No. The ground crews can't service and load the aircraft with engines running. It wouldn't be safe.

Even if they could, the engines at ground-idle don't provide enough air pressure to keep the cabins cool. The APU does a better job on the ground.

Lots of people are saying that the airplanes are hot because we are supposed to save money and not run the APU but our manuals say otherwise. Comfort comes second only to safety.

The order of operating priorities, straight from our flight manual, are:

1. Safe
2. Comfortable
3. On-time
4. Efficient
30-inch seat pitch, 3-4-3 on the 777 and 3-3-3 on the 787, and seat thickness about the same as four Kleenex threw "comfortable" out the window a long time ago. @:-)
Old Jun 27, 2017, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
30-inch seat pitch, 3-4-3 on the 777 and 3-3-3 on the 787, and seat thickness about the same as four Kleenex threw "comfortable" out the window a long time ago. @:-)
Thanks for sharing a new perspective. I don't think we've heard any of those points before. However, since pilots don't configure airplanes, your thoughts are not relevant.

Pilots have the final say on using the APU and making other decisions about the operation of the aircraft that impact passenger comfort.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by fly18725
Thanks for sharing a new perspective. I don't think we've heard any of those points before. However, since pilots don't configure airplanes, your thoughts are not relevant.

Pilots have the final say on using the APU and making other decisions about the operation of the aircraft that impact passenger comfort.
And everything is interrelated. UA is perceived by many as having abandoned customer service over the years. This latest episode only reinforces that perception. And some would even go so far to say that UA pilots started the whole thing with the Summer from Hell in 2000. <shrugs>

You can try to say that this incident should only be seen in an isolated lens. That's not how most people are going to integrate this into their overall thinkng.

I stand by my statement. Comfort and UA are not particularly congruent in 2017. When a pilot makes a claim that "comfort" is second on the priority list, I will push back, because as a customer, I just don't see it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.