Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Special" Domestic Equipment Swap (744/77W) Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2017, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

With the retirement of the 747s, and the rollout of the 77Ws I've seen a lot of random domestic swaps especially to 77W. These are hard to set an alert for because of the search space, but I know we have a lot of people coming to comment when their flight is swapped.

I'd love to pick up one of these aircraft (especially 744) on e.g. SFO-ORD and would totally do it last-minute if given a day or so notice. I'm suspecting I'm not the only one who wants to keep tabs on swaps like this, and was wondering if we could start a "spotting" thread for interesting/cool equipment swaps, especially domestically.

I'll start:

N2639U (77W) is flying today:

UA207 BOS-SFO
UA1858 SFO-DEN
UA257 DEN-SFO

With a bit more notice could have been a fun DEN turn to see the 77W.

Last edited by findark; Jun 25, 2017 at 3:20 pm
Old Jun 25, 2017, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

on ghGreat & very helpful thread, findark! ^

Have been looking for a 77W ex-IAD and LAX (highly unlikely on the latter though).
Old Jun 25, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I have noticed the 77W has been subbing for the regular 77A on the ORD-SFO-ORD route on occasion. I was the beneficiary of this swap on my last trip. Best I can tell this swap isn't scheduled. In my case I got the equipment swap notification overnight and the flight itself was an upgrade bonanza on what is a normally an impossible upgrade.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 8:50 pm

The 77W has also been doing UA408 SFO-IAD for the last two Fridays. Of course, when I'm scheduled to fly next Friday it is showing 3-class 772. Keeping my fingers crossed for an equipment change so I can finally try out the new Polaris seat.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Slurve30
I have noticed the 77W has been subbing for the regular 77A on the ORD-SFO-ORD route on occasion. I was the beneficiary of this swap on my last trip. Best I can tell this swap isn't scheduled. In my case I got the equipment swap notification overnight and the flight itself was an upgrade bonanza on what is a normally an impossible upgrade.
Indeed - the swaps are not scheduled. I'm hoping we can collect reports so that notice is given as far in advance as possible (ideally, long enough to buy a ticket and go to the airport). I don't fly int'l all that often, and so I would love to jump on a spur-of-the-moment 747 farewell flight to ORD instead of making a TPAC/TATL out of it.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 5:28 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Is there any chance of a domestic 747 sighting at EWR before they're put out to pasture? I would grab that in a second if I knew about it in time.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Is there any chance of a domestic 747 sighting at EWR before they're put out to pasture? I would grab that in a second if I knew about it in time.
Highly doubted. IAD is your best bet. I would also keep an eye on UA cargo.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by mediator
Highly doubted. IAD is your best bet. I would also keep an eye on UA cargo.
Would it kill UA to do a last IAD LAX or SFO trip on 744 before retiring these birds? They could use the free POSITIVE publicity. lol
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by fly747first
Would it kill UA to do a last IAD LAX or SFO trip on 744 before retiring these birds? They could use the free POSITIVE publicity. lol
Agree, and it's disappointing that UA chooses to let these planes go quietly, after all the (justifiable) hype surrounding their arrival decades ago. As a "legacy" carrier, one would think acknowledging positive remnants of UA would have more significance...especially this year.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by artvandalay
Agree, and it's disappointing that UA chooses to let these planes go quietly, after all the (justifiable) hype surrounding their arrival decades ago. As a "legacy" carrier, one would think acknowledging positive remnants of UA would have more significance...especially this year.
Kirby did say this in January:

"And of course, we'll honor the 747 with an unforgettable retirement celebration — we'll keep you posted with more details on her final flight in the months ahead."
https://hub.united.com/farewell-747-...188763460.html

So there is still hope!
Old Jun 26, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Data points: I know for sure that the 11:42am from SFO-ORD, as well as the the regular 7:20pm ORD-SFO swapped from the 77A to the 77W on both June 13 (Tu) and June 18 (Su). That said, they were not swapped this past Sunday, and for tomorrow these flights are still listed as aboard the 77A Hawaii version.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA: 1k, Marriott / Bonvoy: Platinum
UA 497 EWR -> SFO has a 77W this Friday, 6/30. I jumped on it when I saw it a few weeks ago.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:18 am
formerly bulgarianfreak55

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hertz Pres
Please let us know if you see anything out of or into LAX, I'm highly interested.

Originally Posted by altbg
Kirby did say this in January:

"And of course, we'll honor the 747 with an unforgettable retirement celebration — we'll keep you posted with more details on her final flight in the months ahead."
https://hub.united.com/farewell-747-...188763460.html

So there is still hope!
Yea, there is still plenty of time until I would expect commemoration routes. I'd expect a few in Oct and November, it is just way too early. Although some domestic summer rush routes could easily use 747s...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 27, 2017 at 1:14 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 27, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
A 777-300 flew IAD-IAH-IAD today and is about to leave for Frankfurt. Arrived from Tokyo yesterday.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by fly747first
That's presuming they don't bungle that flight with some more negative publicity

I say that in jest, but there's a small part of me that actually thinks it may happen...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.