Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China without a visa

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2017, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I'm looking for some assistance, and to be within the quidance to be more UA Specific. What UA routing and Fares make the best sense to take advantage of the TWOV.

LAX-PVG (transit)..

PVG-???-LAX

All routed on UA with the possibilty of inta Asia on NH?

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated..
I just pulled up the routing rules for an LAX-PVG G fare. Your choices on that fare are TYO (UA, CA, or NH flight number), HKG (CX, HX, KA, UA), and OSA (UA, CA, NH). Anything else is going to require either a more expensive through fare or will price out using multiple fare components.

(BJS would also be an option from the fare rules, but the 144-hour TWOV program does not allow intra-China connections).
Old Jun 21, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
What UA routing and Fares make the best sense to take advantage of the TWOV.

LAX-PVG (transit)..

PVG-???-LAX
The 144H TWOV for PVG arrivals permits you to exit to a third country (by air) from PVG, SHA, HGH, or NKG. They don't necessarily offer lower fares, but they certainly open up a lot of more routing possibilities via *A and UA codeshares.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Some great advice here
This was my experience a few months ago transiting on AC, also through PVG for 3 days
China 72 hour transit visa. Need to inform Air Canada?

The great advice already mentioned which I would repeat:
1. Have a hard copy of all your documents handy
2. Definitely bring a printout from TIMATIC. This helped us immensely when they incorrectly ran their search showing china as the destination
3. Politely but firmly hold your position

The most annoying thing about the program was on arrival. Processing was extremely slow and also involved our names and hotel reservations being written by hand into a book
Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K and MM.
OP to add finality.

We left yesterday from Boston. The very nice woman at the United counter saw that I had the paperwork and didn't even look at it. She was more concerned with getting a new 1st flight as we'd have missed the connection otherwise due to a delay.

In Newark (the flight to PVG), they checked the paperwork again at the gate. The gate staff would not take our ANA flight print out for the confirmed flight/seats in 2 days. He insisted that we show a single "united reservation" into and out of China. (Which I had). While not required by China, this seemed to be the only paperwork that got us on the plane. And I was warned of this last month in Boston at the United counter.

In PVG, the 144 hour transit line took about 10 minutes. It was longish since my partner has a nearly full passport. The authorities were looking at each stamp to be certain they were real.

Originally Posted by david_oz
Some great advice here
This was my experience a few months ago transiting on AC, also through PVG for 3 days
China 72 hour transit visa. Need to inform Air Canada?

The great advice already mentioned which I would repeat:
1. Have a hard copy of all your documents handy
2. Definitely bring a printout from TIMATIC. This helped us immensely when they incorrectly ran their search showing china as the destination
3. Politely but firmly hold your position

The most annoying thing about the program was on arrival. Processing was extremely slow and also involved our names and hotel reservations being written by hand into a book
Old Jul 15, 2017, 1:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by gsalem94122
He insisted that we show a single "united reservation" into and out of China. (Which I had). While not required by China, this seemed to be the only paperwork that got us on the plane. And I was warned of this last month in Boston at the United counter.
This is a completely unreasonable requirement and sounds more like an agent on a power trip than anything else.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by gsalem94122
OP to add finality.

We left yesterday from Boston. The very nice woman at the United counter saw that I had the paperwork and didn't even look at it. She was more concerned with getting a new 1st flight as we'd have missed the connection otherwise due to a delay.

In Newark (the flight to PVG), they checked the paperwork again at the gate. The gate staff would not take our ANA flight print out for the confirmed flight/seats in 2 days. He insisted that we show a single "united reservation" into and out of China. (Which I had). While not required by China, this seemed to be the only paperwork that got us on the plane. And I was warned of this last month in Boston at the United counter.

In PVG, the 144 hour transit line took about 10 minutes. It was longish since my partner has a nearly full passport. The authorities were looking at each stamp to be certain they were real.
The agent in EWR is flat out wrong. Glad you had what he/she wanted to make it a smoother process but if you didn't then you would have had to escalate on the spot to a red coat and then probably higher up than that. Ridiculous requirement to have it all on a United print out.

As for the full passport...I've never seen that in China and I go there a lot. I have a double-expanded passport that is now full (minus a spot for two stamps) and I've never once had a Chinese immigration official go through my passport and look at stamps. It does take them a second to find empty space to place the stamp but that's it. I have entered through Beijing, Hangzhou, Guangzhou, Shenzhen (airport & land), Shanghai and Chengdu. Tomorrow I'm off to Shanghai and don't expect any issues.

-RM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.