China without a visa

Old Jun 19, 17, 12:51 pm
  #31  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: LAX/TPE
Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Posts: 36,094
Originally Posted by gsalem94122 View Post
Sorry. Yes, we have US Passports.

I was picking up pals in Boston and went a little early to talk to a counter agent. Mixed reviews - they didn't know all the TWOV rules (for instance he said it *had* to be the same ticket). But at least he said they would make it work if it could work.
for instance he said it *had* to be the same ticket

He is totally wrong - hopefully they get it sorted out before your departure.
bocastephen is offline  
Old Jun 19, 17, 2:48 pm
  #32  
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: YYJ/YVR/SEA
Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Posts: 13,541
Originally Posted by gsalem94122 View Post

for instance he said it *had* to be the same ticket
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
He is totally wrong - hopefully they get it sorted out before your departure.
I've done this twice back when the longest layover was 48 hours, and one more time since.

Separate tickets every time, twice reward once revenue.
EmailKid is offline  
Old Jun 19, 17, 3:12 pm
  #33  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bay Area
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 87
Originally Posted by narvik View Post
I actually second this recommendation.
Also to note, the 10-year visa is valid for 10 years even if the current passport expires before the 10 years is up. (You can enter with a new passport and the expired passport containing the visa for the full 10 years.)

~$160 is CHEAP peace-of-mind!
Bingo

Huge hassle: these threads and the threat of not making it due to uninformed agents or total peace of mind.

Back when the visas were one year, I could totally understand the rationale but since they've been upped to 10 years, it's pretty good insurance. Plus there's so many interesting Chinese sites outside the major cities (Jiuzhaigou, Hongcun, Huangshan)
DiscHandler is offline  
Old Jun 19, 17, 9:42 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 575
Originally Posted by gsalem94122 View Post
Yeah... except there are 2 of us and we are in rural cape cod. We'd have to use a service and now we are talking over $400.
$400 for 10 years for 2 people on a presumably much more expensive flight to me is a no brainer. To me it seems cheap and worthwhile. These threads pop up every few weeks because the employees don't understand the rules and get denied boarding or worse.
flyerbaby19 is offline  
Old Jun 19, 17, 10:55 pm
  #35  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 34,899
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
When the agent screws up and tries to deny you boarding make sure to politely suggest that they put Japan as the destination and PVG as the transit point into TIMATIC when they look up the rules. That makes a huge difference compared to them putting PVG as the destination and denying you boarding.
This. Put China as the destination and TIMATIC will correctly say a visa is required.
Loren Pechtel is offline  
Old Jun 19, 17, 11:01 pm
  #36  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 34,899
Originally Posted by gsalem94122 View Post
Here is the itinerary.

BOS to PVC (14 July -> 15 July, via EWR)
PVC to NRT (17 July)
NRT to GUM (18 July)
GUM to BOS (July 19, via HNL and SFO).

This meets the letter of the 144 hour transit and we'll be staying 2 nights in a Shanghai hotel. (And then one night in Tokyo and one night in Guam).
Leg 2 of this itinerary is impossible. PVC has a single 3,500' runway, it can't handle a plane that could make it to NRT.
Loren Pechtel is offline  
Old Jun 19, 17, 11:04 pm
  #37  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: LAS
Programs: 1K---2,909,450 BIS miles
Posts: 214
It's probably more advisable that the OP makes his own decision as how to spend his OWN money, especially for something that he doesn't need to purchase.

My wife and I have transited PVG about 5 times in the past few years and have spent several nights there w/o the need for a Chinese visa. The ONLY thing that they do require if transiting and continuing on a flight in a few hours is that the pax go to customs and retrieve their bags and recheck them in. All of this, and the trip to the transit desk, was with the escort of a Chinese group-leader who assisted ALL pax's transiting that day. Anyway, that's how we were handled, except for the times that we stayed for a few nights.

The first time we stayed in Shanghai I purchased about $300.00 worth of Mao Zedong lighters which I managed to bring back to Vegas in my checked luggage. They were a big hit since they played the Chinese national anthem, and everybody wanted more. The next year I went back over and purchased about $500.00 worth of them and put them in my carry on ----- WRONG---All of them were confiscated at security, by some of the most unfriendly dudes that I've ever encountered! My mom was really bummed out, but she finally got over it.

Anyway, back on subject --- The OP DOES NOT NEED A CHINESE VISA to do what he is planning, and if an uninformed t/a gives him a hard time, he needs to demand a ruling by someone higher up, and stay on top of it until you get your b/p's!

Telling someone on here to Pop for over $400.00 for unnecessary visa's (that he isn't required to purchase), just in case you happen to run into an uninformed/ignorant g/a is bad advise, IMO!
MY-OTHER-BROTHER-"TED" is offline  
Old Jun 20, 17, 2:43 am
  #38  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: IAD/DCA/FLL/MIA
Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS, AA*EXP, Hyatt*Globalist
Posts: 11,017
My daughter just did a transit three weeks ago in China with absolutely no hassle.

I also did one last year on SFO-PEK-SIN UA/SQ without any problem.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jun 20, 17 at 2:59 am
UA_Flyer is offline  
Old Jun 20, 17, 2:56 am
  #39  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 91,879
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer View Post
My daughter just did a transit three weeks in China with absolutely no hassle.

I also did one last year on SFO-PEK-SIN UA/SQ without any problem.
How did she do three weeks in China as TWOV? The maximum is 144 hours, starting at 12:01 am the day after arrival.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Jun 20, 17, 2:59 am
  #40  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: IAD/DCA/FLL/MIA
Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS, AA*EXP, Hyatt*Globalist
Posts: 11,017
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
How did she do three weeks in China as TWOV? The maximum is 144 hours, starting at 12:01 am the day after arrival.
sorry! missing a word 'ago". Did it three weeks ago.
UA_Flyer is offline  
Old Jun 20, 17, 3:39 am
  #41  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: IWK, SAT, BWI, NAP, OKA, AUS, DEN, COS and PUB
Programs: UA 1K.. 1MM
Posts: 991
I did KIX-PVG-ORD-EWR/EWR-ORD-PVG-KIX. Transit visa both directions without issue. UA didn't say a thing. Out of KIX was on juneyao? No issue with them.
superEGO is offline  
Old Jun 20, 17, 7:20 am
  #42  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 83
Originally Posted by MY-OTHER-BROTHER-"TED" View Post
It's probably more advisable that the OP makes his own decision as how to spend his OWN money, especially for something that he doesn't need to purchase.

My wife and I have transited PVG about 5 times in the past few years and have spent several nights there w/o the need for a Chinese visa. The ONLY thing that they do require if transiting and continuing on a flight in a few hours is that the pax go to customs and retrieve their bags and recheck them in. All of this, and the trip to the transit desk, was with the escort of a Chinese group-leader who assisted ALL pax's transiting that day. Anyway, that's how we were handled, except for the times that we stayed for a few nights.

The first time we stayed in Shanghai I purchased about $300.00 worth of Mao Zedong lighters which I managed to bring back to Vegas in my checked luggage. They were a big hit since they played the Chinese national anthem, and everybody wanted more. The next year I went back over and purchased about $500.00 worth of them and put them in my carry on ----- WRONG---All of them were confiscated at security, by some of the most unfriendly dudes that I've ever encountered! My mom was really bummed out, but she finally got over it.

Anyway, back on subject --- The OP DOES NOT NEED A CHINESE VISA to do what he is planning, and if an uninformed t/a gives him a hard time, he needs to demand a ruling by someone higher up, and stay on top of it until you get your b/p's!

Telling someone on here to Pop for over $400.00 for unnecessary visa's (that he isn't required to purchase), just in case you happen to run into an uninformed/ignorant g/a is bad advise, IMO!
Thanks... and it's not just the money. This Summer we are in rural Cape Cod. There is no place within an hours drive to even get visa photos taken
gsalem94122 is offline  
Old Jun 20, 17, 7:22 am
  #43  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 83
Talking

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel View Post
Leg 2 of this itinerary is impossible. PVC has a single 3,500' runway, it can't handle a plane that could make it to NRT.
PVG, sorry. I am spending the Summer close to PVC so it was a slip.
gsalem94122 is offline  
Old Jun 20, 17, 10:47 am
  #44  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bay Area
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 87
Originally Posted by MY-OTHER-BROTHER-"TED" View Post
It's probably more advisable that the OP makes his own decision as how to spend his OWN money, especially for something that he doesn't need to purchase.

My wife and I have transited PVG about 5 times in the past few years and have spent several nights there w/o the need for a Chinese visa. The ONLY thing that they do require if transiting and continuing on a flight in a few hours is that the pax go to customs and retrieve their bags and recheck them in. All of this, and the trip to the transit desk, was with the escort of a Chinese group-leader who assisted ALL pax's transiting that day. Anyway, that's how we were handled, except for the times that we stayed for a few nights.

The first time we stayed in Shanghai I purchased about $300.00 worth of Mao Zedong lighters which I managed to bring back to Vegas in my checked luggage. They were a big hit since they played the Chinese national anthem, and everybody wanted more. The next year I went back over and purchased about $500.00 worth of them and put them in my carry on ----- WRONG---All of them were confiscated at security, by some of the most unfriendly dudes that I've ever encountered! My mom was really bummed out, but she finally got over it.

Anyway, back on subject --- The OP DOES NOT NEED A CHINESE VISA to do what he is planning, and if an uninformed t/a gives him a hard time, he needs to demand a ruling by someone higher up, and stay on top of it until you get your b/p's!

Telling someone on here to Pop for over $400.00 for unnecessary visa's (that he isn't required to purchase), just in case you happen to run into an uninformed/ignorant g/a is bad advise, IMO!
You're missing the point. You can harp all you want to the GA about the rules but if they don't let you board, your vacation is @#[email protected]%. Hopefully it all works out, BUT if you don't want to deal with the potential of uninformed GAs, a visa is an option.
DiscHandler is offline  
Old Jun 20, 17, 11:21 am
  #45  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PHL
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Gold
Posts: 3,739
Originally Posted by MY-OTHER-BROTHER-"TED" View Post
It's probably more advisable that the OP makes his own decision as how to spend his OWN money, especially for something that he doesn't need to purchase.
^^ Its an OP decision. VISA is not necessary but everyone has their own preference to improve convenience and security. Some people don't like the hassle of public transit and take a taxi. Some people buy trip insurance for extra security. Some people pay for TSA pre to avoid security hassle. Some people book F to avoid the hassle of Y. Some people pay for UA Signature service to smooth things along. Its up to each person's preference, budget, and comfort level. For me, if I'm only planning to travel to china once and/or live far away from a visa office, I certainly won't get a visa.
eng3 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: