Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Economy Choice Menu: Bistro on Board and Snack Shop [2017-2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: fezzington
The current menu can be found online here

March 2018 BoB updates:
  • New: Breakfast "Biscuit Breakfast Sandwich" - egg, canadian bacon, cheddar on a biscuit. Replaces Sourdough sandwich.
  • New: Breakfast "Mixed Berry breakfast bowl" - berries, nuts, and granola, with a Chobani "greek yogurt drink". Replaces Yogurt & fruit plate
  • "Updated": Mezze sampler, new description is "Wheat berry salad with quinoa, edamame and corn, sun-dried tomato basil hummus, almonds and triangle pita pieces"
  • ex-Canada is getting a new menu-
    • Breakfast: Maple Ham Sandwich
    • PM: Hummus Sampler
    • PM: Barbecue Burger on a Pretzel Bun
    • PM: Tomato Pesto Chicken Wrap
March Snack Shop Changes:
  • Adding Nuts.com CB&J Mix
  • Adding Chipotle Grass-Fed Beef Jerky
  • "Updating" Classic box (no details)
  • Removing Chex Mix
  • Something about a cheese box and IPA combo

The Deep Dish on United's Exciting New Menu Items
Chicago-style deep dish pizza tops a list of delicious new offerings on board July 1
Colorado-based New Belgium Voodoo Ranger IPA takes off September 1

CHICAGO, June 29, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- United is adding something new for every taste with several new in-flight menu items available for purchase. Starting July 1, customers can experience a slice of Chicago with personal-size Uno's deep-dish pizza, and United will expand its onboard beer list to include New Belgium Voodoo Ranger IPA beginning September 1.

United customers will also have more Choice Menu options from which to choose, including Bistro on Board items like the breakfast egg white flatbread; Uno's deep dish spinach, cheese and garlic pizza; Thai-style Chicken Ciabatta sandwich; and the new, Mediterranean-inspired Protein Box, featuring a healthy mix of almonds, sesame sticks, roasted red pepper hummus and cracked wheat salad.

United has also refreshed some of its popular Snack Shop items, including the Tapas Box, a customer favorite. The updated Tapas Box includes flatbread crackers, almonds, bruschetta, cheese spread, hummus, olive crackers, dried fruit, ginger mints and a sea salt dark chocolate caramel.

"As part of our ongoing commitment to putting our customers at the center of everything we do, we are always listening to their feedback when it comes to food choices on board our flights," said Jimmy Samartzis, United's vice president of Catering Operations. "Our customers told us they are craving pizza, and we heard them. We are excited to offer two new options – a breakfast egg white flatbread served on morning flights and deep dish pizza from hometown favorite Uno's on afternoon and evening flights."

All new menu items and refreshed snackboxes will be available for purchase on flights within the U.S. with a scheduled flight time of more than 3.5 hours and on all international flights from the U.S. to Canada, Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. Snack Shop items including the Tapas, Classic, Select and Ben Flyin Kid's snackboxes are available on all flights over 1.5 hours within North America, including the Caribbean and select Latin American cities, Singapore and Australia. Learn more about where you can get your snacks here.

United's popular cheeseburger and fries ($11.99) will remain on the menu. View United's refreshed Choice Menu with the new items here.

Code:
New Choice Menu options July 1 
 Uno's deep dish pizza $9.99 Personal-size, spinach, cheese and garlic
 Egg white flatbread $9.99 Egg white crumble, mozzarella cheese, cherry tomatoes, spinach, parsley, herbed ricotta on focaccia bread
 Thai-style chicken ciabatta $9.99 Grilled chicken breast, mozzarella cheese, carrots, red peppers, Thai-style cilantro aioli on ciabatta bread
 Protein Box $9.99 Almonds, sesame sticks, roasted red pepper hummus and cracked wheat salad
 Fresh-Start Breakfast Combo $12.99 Egg white flatbread, Chobani Greek yogurt, fresh fruit served with whole grain oat granola
 Pizza and beer combo $13.99 Uno's deep dish pizza and Miller Lite

Refreshed Choice Menu items July 1 
 Tapas Snack Box $9.59 Featuring new flatbread crackers, almonds, bruschetta, cheese spread, hummus, olive crackers, dried fruit and a sea salt dark chocolate caramel and ginger mints
 Ben Flyin Adventure Bear Kid's Snack Box $5.59 Mini chocolate chip cookies, raisins, squeezable applesauce, and Goldfish. Includes an activity sheet with games and CrayAngles crayons

New beers September 1 
 New Belgium Voodoo Ranger IPA $7.99 Brewed in Colorado, New Belgium Voodoo Ranger IPA gives aromas of citrus (specifically orange and grapefruit) as well as some tropical fruit notes and a hint of toasted bread
 Sam Adams Oktoberfest $7.99 Born in Boston, Oktoberfest is a delicious harmony of sweet flavors, including caramel and toffee
 Blue Point Toasted Lager $7.99 Brewed in New York, Blue Point Lager is made with six grains to perfect a balanced flavor of malt and hops, and a special proprietary lager yeast to give Toasted Lager an exceptional, long-lasting smooth finish
Print Wikipost

United Economy Choice Menu: Bistro on Board and Snack Shop [2017-2018]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Which is why I also think the garlic won't be an issue. It'll most likely just be seasoning in the sauce not fresh cloves wafting through the cabin.
If people have suffered through the sausage/egg Sandwich during breakfast, and the cheeseburger during lunch/dinner, I think the pizzas will be a non-issue. I just keep thinking of the dough bomb pizzas wrapped in melted plastic that pmCO used to serve during "meals at mealtime" in Y.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:55 am

I look forward to it. The more crossbranded items the better as you at least know what your getting.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Agreed. I like deep dish pizza but not some much Uno's.

frozen Uno's

frozen Uno's on a plane

IMHO the novelty is going to wear off very quickly. Kudos to UA for trying but they might have found a more successful direction.
I've long thought that those Stouffers French Bread pizzas would be the bomb after a trip through the convection oven.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oopl
So... is this like a hot pocket?
No . . . it's like a pizza. Here is a review of an AA Uno's pizza with a nice photo:

http://flyanddine.boardingarea.com/f...first-koa-lax/
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Originally Posted by SeaProf
At least you're not allergic to tomatoes, I am. It makes airline food difficult to begin with, even in Business on long haul flights, given the limited choices and that many sauces have a tomato base to them.

But good on United for what will likely be an improvement.
I get what you are saying. My wife is allergic to anything that ever swam, strawberries and balsamic vinegar. Makes it hard for her everywhere we go but at least in restaurants and on cruise ships they can work around things for her. For me is all about type 2 diabeties and corenary artery disease. Thankfully I am doing well with both and sticking to low carb and low fat to keep it that way.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
If people have suffered through the sausage/egg Sandwich during breakfast, and the cheeseburger during lunch/dinner, I think the pizzas will be a non-issue. I just keep thinking of the dough bomb pizzas wrapped in melted plastic that pmCO used to serve during "meals at mealtime" in Y.
Not all food smells bad to me on a plane. For some reason McDonalds always does. And I can always smell when someone has carried on one of those personal pizzas, although they don't usually smell bad. I never noticed the items you mentioned. It seems like maybe certain odors just carry further in a plane?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Different people have different sensitivities to different foods as well. Mrs Cricketer can smell onions and garlic from a mile away. I don't notice either. I don't like it when my seatmates or people nearby have brought McDonald's or a pizza on board, but I have no such issues with Thai/Chinese/Indian food. Others would claim the exact opposite.

My guess is that the majority of the travelling public isn't bothered by burgers and pizza. If I had to bet, I'd say this will work out well for UA.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cricketer
Different people have different sensitivities to different foods as well. Mrs Cricketer can smell onions and garlic from a mile away. I don't notice either. I don't like it when my seatmates or people nearby have brought McDonald's or a pizza on board, but I have no such issues with Thai/Chinese/Indian food. Others would claim the exact opposite.

My guess is that the majority of the travelling public isn't bothered by burgers and pizza. If I had to bet, I'd say this will work out well for UA.
Does UA have the ability, and if so does it act on it, to do a mock flight and fill the plane with some pizzas and people to get reactions?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Does UA have the ability, and if so does it act on it, to do a mock flight and fill the plane with some pizzas and people to get reactions?
I recall that UA did test flights for the Polaris prototype meals and wines. They even recruited some FTers to go on those flights, and sign NDA's. So if that pattern holds, those who know, will not speak, and those who speak will not know, to paraphrase an old Chinese proverb.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Kudos for adding this option. It also adds a hot+vegetarian item to the offer. I know the original Lou's is a tomato/spinach base so this flavor choice as the default makes sense.

smisek would have picked freshpoo Houston pizza, so this is an obvious improvement.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by FWAAA
No . . . it's like a pizza. Here is a review of an AA Uno's pizza with a nice photo:

http://flyanddine.boardingarea.com/f...first-koa-lax/
I see. This line from the review tho.

It’s a dense puck of dough and cheese and tomatoes with herbs
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
You took the words right out of my mouth. Uno is to deep-dish pizza what McDonalds is to steak.
^
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
There are other food options. I don't get the hate here.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
...Hopefully they'll pass out extra napkins and a handwipe -- I can just see people licking their fingers and then rubbing their hands on the seats.
That just made me think of chicken wings.

God, the sound of a few dozen finger suckers would make me jump off the plane.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Kudos for adding this option. It also adds a hot+vegetarian item to the offer. I know the original Lou's is a tomato/spinach base so this flavor choice as the default makes sense.
this is key for me. Wife is vegetarian, and while the UA BOB used to often have something veggie for a meal option (cheese and fruit plate isn't a meal), it's been a while. They used to have the tomato mozzarella sandwich, and I remember having an egg dish - think an egg casserole or something - on a breakfast flight that was actually pretty good, and I think they still have it now, except have since added chicken sausage in there. I'm pleasantly surprised they didn't do the default pepperoni pizza (AC did, or maybe still does this) and went with a veggie variety.

Might try this on my flight in early July.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.