Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Economy Choice Menu: Bistro on Board and Snack Shop [2017-2018]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: fezzington
The current menu can be found online here

March 2018 BoB updates:
  • New: Breakfast "Biscuit Breakfast Sandwich" - egg, canadian bacon, cheddar on a biscuit. Replaces Sourdough sandwich.
  • New: Breakfast "Mixed Berry breakfast bowl" - berries, nuts, and granola, with a Chobani "greek yogurt drink". Replaces Yogurt & fruit plate
  • "Updated": Mezze sampler, new description is "Wheat berry salad with quinoa, edamame and corn, sun-dried tomato basil hummus, almonds and triangle pita pieces"
  • ex-Canada is getting a new menu-
    • Breakfast: Maple Ham Sandwich
    • PM: Hummus Sampler
    • PM: Barbecue Burger on a Pretzel Bun
    • PM: Tomato Pesto Chicken Wrap
March Snack Shop Changes:
  • Adding Nuts.com CB&J Mix
  • Adding Chipotle Grass-Fed Beef Jerky
  • "Updating" Classic box (no details)
  • Removing Chex Mix
  • Something about a cheese box and IPA combo

The Deep Dish on United's Exciting New Menu Items
Chicago-style deep dish pizza tops a list of delicious new offerings on board July 1
Colorado-based New Belgium Voodoo Ranger IPA takes off September 1

CHICAGO, June 29, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- United is adding something new for every taste with several new in-flight menu items available for purchase. Starting July 1, customers can experience a slice of Chicago with personal-size Uno's deep-dish pizza, and United will expand its onboard beer list to include New Belgium Voodoo Ranger IPA beginning September 1.

United customers will also have more Choice Menu options from which to choose, including Bistro on Board items like the breakfast egg white flatbread; Uno's deep dish spinach, cheese and garlic pizza; Thai-style Chicken Ciabatta sandwich; and the new, Mediterranean-inspired Protein Box, featuring a healthy mix of almonds, sesame sticks, roasted red pepper hummus and cracked wheat salad.

United has also refreshed some of its popular Snack Shop items, including the Tapas Box, a customer favorite. The updated Tapas Box includes flatbread crackers, almonds, bruschetta, cheese spread, hummus, olive crackers, dried fruit, ginger mints and a sea salt dark chocolate caramel.

"As part of our ongoing commitment to putting our customers at the center of everything we do, we are always listening to their feedback when it comes to food choices on board our flights," said Jimmy Samartzis, United's vice president of Catering Operations. "Our customers told us they are craving pizza, and we heard them. We are excited to offer two new options – a breakfast egg white flatbread served on morning flights and deep dish pizza from hometown favorite Uno's on afternoon and evening flights."

All new menu items and refreshed snackboxes will be available for purchase on flights within the U.S. with a scheduled flight time of more than 3.5 hours and on all international flights from the U.S. to Canada, Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. Snack Shop items including the Tapas, Classic, Select and Ben Flyin Kid's snackboxes are available on all flights over 1.5 hours within North America, including the Caribbean and select Latin American cities, Singapore and Australia. Learn more about where you can get your snacks here.

United's popular cheeseburger and fries ($11.99) will remain on the menu. View United's refreshed Choice Menu with the new items here.

Code:
New Choice Menu options July 1 
 Uno's deep dish pizza $9.99 Personal-size, spinach, cheese and garlic
 Egg white flatbread $9.99 Egg white crumble, mozzarella cheese, cherry tomatoes, spinach, parsley, herbed ricotta on focaccia bread
 Thai-style chicken ciabatta $9.99 Grilled chicken breast, mozzarella cheese, carrots, red peppers, Thai-style cilantro aioli on ciabatta bread
 Protein Box $9.99 Almonds, sesame sticks, roasted red pepper hummus and cracked wheat salad
 Fresh-Start Breakfast Combo $12.99 Egg white flatbread, Chobani Greek yogurt, fresh fruit served with whole grain oat granola
 Pizza and beer combo $13.99 Uno's deep dish pizza and Miller Lite

Refreshed Choice Menu items July 1 
 Tapas Snack Box $9.59 Featuring new flatbread crackers, almonds, bruschetta, cheese spread, hummus, olive crackers, dried fruit and a sea salt dark chocolate caramel and ginger mints
 Ben Flyin Adventure Bear Kid's Snack Box $5.59 Mini chocolate chip cookies, raisins, squeezable applesauce, and Goldfish. Includes an activity sheet with games and CrayAngles crayons

New beers September 1 
 New Belgium Voodoo Ranger IPA $7.99 Brewed in Colorado, New Belgium Voodoo Ranger IPA gives aromas of citrus (specifically orange and grapefruit) as well as some tropical fruit notes and a hint of toasted bread
 Sam Adams Oktoberfest $7.99 Born in Boston, Oktoberfest is a delicious harmony of sweet flavors, including caramel and toffee
 Blue Point Toasted Lager $7.99 Brewed in New York, Blue Point Lager is made with six grains to perfect a balanced flavor of malt and hops, and a special proprietary lager yeast to give Toasted Lager an exceptional, long-lasting smooth finish
Print Wikipost

United Economy Choice Menu: Bistro on Board and Snack Shop [2017-2018]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
flying at 35k the senses typically are not as strong as on the ground so it's not like during boarding where someone walks on with a bag of McDonalds and stinks up the cabin.
Which is why I also think the garlic won't be an issue. It'll most likely just be seasoning in the sauce not fresh cloves wafting through the cabin.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Sil, MR Gold
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Does anybody think this product will be remotely the same as what one gets in the restaurant? Pizza has been served often on airlines. It sucks.
Probably not, but I remember some very good pizza (for airline food) that NW served 10-15 years ago. It was a somewhat common snack served in coach on TATL flights.

Hopefully they'll pass out extra napkins and a handwipe -- I can just see people licking their fingers and then rubbing their hands on the seats.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Jose,

You indicate Y/C while I thought this was only Y class. Do you have internal communication suggesting this will be in business also?
Old Jun 18, 2017, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Jose,

You indicate Y/C while I thought this was only Y class. Do you have internal communication suggesting this will be in business also?
You are correct pizzas will be served in Economy only. When I write "Y/C" it means just Economy/Coach. For Business I usually use "J" sorry for any confusion.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Oh dear. Uno jumped the shark at least 20 years ago.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 6:49 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
It will be interesting to see what they serve. Uno's at ORD is a product totally unlike Uno's at Ohio and Wabash. In the best possible case, I expect it to be good, but not what one would get at Uno's.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by gene2632
Just what I want...some soggy bread with tomato sauce on it......
At least you're not allergic to tomatoes, I am. It makes airline food difficult to begin with, even in Business on long haul flights, given the limited choices and that many sauces have a tomato base to them.

But good on United for what will likely be an improvement.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
I mean, i get that they work well in an oven - but surely a nicer cold option would work just as well. Anyway, A for effort.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by exwannabe
They are certainly not going to put pizza ovens in the galley. Does anybody think this product will be remotely the same as what one gets in the restaurant? Pizza has been served often on airlines. It sucks.
Uno's has been putting their name on frozen food for a while.. I expect it to be the same "meh" quality as that. But, to be fair, I think Chicago pizza is one of the more resilient dishes to the amount of transport and reheating required to serve on a plane. It's definitely the only kind of pizza I will ever consider touching as a leftover.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 11:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
This will work well with those sub-17" seat cushions
Old Jun 18, 2017, 11:48 pm

Programs: All the programs!
So... is this like a hot pocket?
Old Jun 18, 2017, 11:55 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
I'm excited to see this available! Pizza is the bomb, and it's my safe choice. Never met a pizza I couldn't eat. Props to UA for something unique for Y food.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 5:55 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
It will be interesting to see what they serve. Uno's at ORD is a product totally unlike Uno's at Ohio and Wabash. In the best possible case, I expect it to be good, but not what one would get at Uno's.
It will have to be the frozen chain restaurant Uno's variety. No way they're serving the original, which is actually decent. Quite a few people don't realize that the original Uno's (and Due's) has a much higher quality pizza than the chain stores everywhere else in the country.

Personally, I'll never purchase one of these, and I think there's a good chance they smell up the plane, making for an unpleasant flight for some of us. I'm glad UA is trying new things, this just isn't one I'm happy about.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
The best plan for these is to serve them cold for breakfast on TA redeyes.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by milepig
Oh dear. Uno jumped the shark at least 20 years ago.
Agreed. I like deep dish pizza but not some much Uno's.

frozen Uno's

frozen Uno's on a plane

IMHO the novelty is going to wear off very quickly. Kudos to UA for trying but they might have found a more successful direction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.