Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

1k PQMs but not enough money (PQDs) spent

Old Jun 17, 17, 11:31 pm
mav
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, marriott, IHG, Club Carlson, United Airlines,timeshare owner

hello,
I am already at 109,000 miles and just barely over half way to the money. I have more flights booked, but I don't think I will still reach the $12,000 spend requirement. Does anyone know what will happen, whether I will be made an offer to pay the difference in money that is missing? Or will I just have to hope the next year works out better? Has this ever happened to anyone here yet?
Thank you for any help.
Old Jun 17, 17, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mav View Post
hello,
I am already at 109,000 miles and just barely over half way to the money. I have more flights booked, but I don't think I will still reach the $12,000 spend requirement. Does anyone know what will happen, whether I will be made an offer to pay the difference in money that is missing? Or will I just have to hope the next year works out better? Has this ever happened to anyone here yet?
Thank you for any help.
Youll probably be offered a buy-up in January.
Old Jun 18, 17, 12:00 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
hello,
I am already at 109,000 miles and just barely over half way to the money.
Off topic, but that is an amazing amount of miles for $6000.

I'm at $9k+ for 36k miles.

I've had some $1200 fares for IAH-RIC (horribly expensive route on UA), but even without those, I wouldn't be close to your ratio.
Old Jun 18, 17, 12:04 am

Would it be cheaper for the OP to start upfaring (once OP is certain the PQD won't be met) rather than paying for the buy-up in January?

Last edited by username; Jun 18, 17 at 12:35 am
Old Jun 18, 17, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant View Post
Off topic, but that is an amazing amount of miles for $6000.

I'm at $9k+ for 36k miles.

I've had some $1200 fares for IAH-RIC (horribly expensive route on UA), but even without those, I wouldn't be close to your ratio.
If you have tickets that earn PQM but no PQD it's not hard. If all UA metal, that's pretty impressive.

Originally Posted by username View Post
Would it be cheaper for the OP to start upfairing (once OP is certain the PQD won't be met) rather than paying for the buy-up in January?
A buy-up is almost certainly a worse proposition than a "dollar run". It's possible to spend an almost unlimited amount of money on a reasonably short journey - fortunately (?) PQD runs are not onerous. Whether either are worthwhile is another story.
Old Jun 18, 17, 12:22 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Originally Posted by findark View Post
If you have tickets that earn PQM but no PQD it's not hard. If all UA metal, that's pretty impressive.
Great point. I'm all on UA metal, so that would be the big difference.
Old Jun 18, 17, 12:44 am

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
In the same boat, 136842 PQM and only $4800 spend. Am madly trying to get up to the $12k spend, which I suppose proves the point the airlines make, making us somehow swallow hard and spend more to keep status.....am buying domestic First which seems a waste, but the fastest way to accumulate the necessary spend.
Old Jun 18, 17, 12:48 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, UA Plat, SPG Plat
Totally doable even on all UA metal. I'm at 31k PQM and $1.7k PQD. And I even have 2 paid transcon J fares.

Some $150 (with tax) tcon Y fares, $500 roundtrip fares US-China - it's quite easy to achieve.

Originally Posted by dh01 View Post
In the same boat, 136842 PQM and only $4800 spend. Am madly trying to get up to the $12k spend, which I suppose proves the point the airlines make, making us somehow swallow hard and spend more to keep status.....am buying domestic First which seems a waste, but the fastest way to accumulate the necessary spend.
Heh. Proof the PQD system works. Ingenius move by UA.
Old Jun 18, 17, 4:34 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
You could use CC spend and at least get Plat out of it........
Old Jun 18, 17, 11:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by DWFI View Post
Totally doable even on all UA metal. I'm at 31k PQM and $1.7k PQD. And I even have 2 paid transcon J fares.

Some $150 (with tax) tcon Y fares, $500 roundtrip fares US-China - it's quite easy to achieve.

Yes, easy to achieve. I am forced to buy paid P tix internationally near the end of the year to requalify for 1K.
Old Jun 18, 17, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO View Post
Yes, easy to achieve. I am forced to buy paid P tix internationally near the end of the year to requalify for 1K.
Yep, especially with their occasional sales to Europe / Asia in the 400-700 ranges then you use a GPU to upgrade yourself...PQD is often the limiting factor.
Old Jun 18, 17, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
hello,
Thank you for any help.
PQD is a requirement to make any status level (assuming one is a US resident). 109,000 PQM and 6,000 in spend (guesstimate based on OP), is not in fact 1K status. That is gold status. You only hit 1K when you have achieved the requisite PQM/PQS and PQD.

OP may get a buy-up, but IMO, this is exactly the kind of customer PQD was implemented for. They don't want to lavish benefits like GPUs on folks spending 5.5cpm, which is almost certainly an unprofitable customer for UA even before any premier benefits are accounted for.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 20, 17 at 11:47 am Reason: removed moot comment after title change
Old Jun 18, 17, 11:49 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by DWFI View Post

Ingenious move by Delta. Ingenious copying by UA (and AA).
AceReport likes this.
Old Jun 18, 17, 11:54 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
I remember $347 roundtrip tickets in economy late last year to Chengdu, China. A few of those would rack up a lot of PQM but very little spend...
Old Jun 18, 17, 11:55 am
mav
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, marriott, IHG, Club Carlson, United Airlines,timeshare owner
Thank you for the info. I am actually trying to make million miler as soon as possible, which is why I try to get as many miles as possible for a cheap price. THEN I will book more expensive tickets , do a fraction of the flying and hopefully still make 1k each year. At that point after million miler I will at least have lifetime Gold.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: