Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

1k PQMs but not enough money (PQDs) spent

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1k PQMs but not enough money (PQDs) spent

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:55 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by kale73

While I don't want to encourage profiting from other people's tragedies, I suspect property in PR and the USVI will be relatively inexpensive for the next couple of years.
Good luck getting your card anytime soon
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Two Bee
Whoa, Flyingwasabi, before you dispense advise, lets do the XXX game, first!

A MP member wants to be a 1K, and doesn't want to spend big bucks like all the other folks, so he/she tells UA that they reside way over in XXX land. However, a great majority of their flights are from YYY (both domestic and international), where they previously lived prior to changing their mailing address. Unless one is very astute at deceiving, which most aren't, it won't take UA long to figure out that this member is doing most out-bounds from YYY. I know, I know, a sly fox would maintain that they actually began in reverse @ XXX, but why not just do the credit card thing instead of losing all status and possibly all one's miles in their account?

Then again, perhaps UA doesn't really care about this, and people can live happily ever after in their real home at YYY!

Side bar --- UA has every right to demand proof of residence before allowing ANYONE to scam their MP program, and this includes coming up with a drivers license, vehicle registration, utility bill, or yes even a 1040. Just read the printed rules where it states that UA MP people have the sole right to decide who plays their game!!!
well, first lets be clear, when UA talks about residence, they are not really talking about ‘residence’. I have friends entering the US on a visa, who clearly is not a US resident, but when he first got MP account, UA treated him as a US resident regardless. So when UA talks about residence, they are really just talking about ‘where your address is’.
Also, unless you had your address outside of US at the first place (I doubt many do), they do require you to provide all kinds of documentation to change address. Including rental agreements, utility bills under your name, driver license, etc.

Last, lets talk about the XXX and YYY situation you mentioned. Let’s just do XXX being PEK and YYY being SFO to make it easier alright? It’s perfectly normal for a Chinese person (who entered US on a non-immigration visa, so he clearly is NOT a US resident accroading to the US government). He was doing business in SF, and all over the US. So for domestic flights he choose UA. Perfectly normal right? Then he says, since i’m Flying UA already, i’ll fly UA on my trip home. Therefore he booked a round trip ticket from SFO to PEK and PEK back to SFO. Since he only booked a one-way ticket when he came to the US (probably due to his uncertain schedule), the rest flights will all be round trips starting from SFO. What’s wrong about that? You may see that all his travel, international or domestic are all on UA from SFO, but that’s not the fact. He chooses other airlines when he travels within china, or within Asia, or to Europe, but UA would not know that. the largest 2 airlines in china are sky team airlines, so there’s a good chance UA will never know his other travel.
The key point of your ‘theory’ is that one starts his trips mostly within US, but to cause this situation, all one need is a single one-way ticket to the US.
Given UA launched a couple routes to china in the recent years, the said situation is not unusual. So I doubt UA will ever bring this theory up.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Flyingwasabi
Why would this be a violation of T&C? It’s not against the law or T&C to have an oversea address...
Logistics-wise, it may not work for everyone of course, but if you already travel aboard, it’s easy to just sign a rental aggrement on your travel, and it costs usually less than $1k.
Am I planning to keep doing this? Yes, because I do have my own house overseas, and it is my legit home. I spend half of my time in the US, the other half overseas in my home, so why not register my address there?
This situation you refer to above is a lot different than the one prompting the most recent part of this discussion. You are talking about a legitimate house that you own overseas.

What was being discussed was the following: one temporarily rents an apartment, gets documentation using the address to change their primary address on UA's website, then stops renting the apartment, but keeps the address that is now not thiers on thier UA profile, mind you, for the sole purpose of getting status without making PQD.

The latter is most certainly defrauding UA and breaks UA T&Cs, and IMO, UA wouldn't hesitate to cancel an account who was found to be doing this. Using the address of a place overseas that you own and have access to, even if you don't live there the entire year, is an entirely different scenario.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
someone would actually rent an apartment in another country to achieve status? man, i am way to busy in life to even consider that as a possibility for anyone. nothing amazes anymore.
I would think UA could catch such shenanigans (if they wanted to) by looking at travel patterns.
Two Bee likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:44 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by Flyingwasabi
So I doubt UA will ever bring this theory up.
Yea! You're probably right! UA won't care!

Last edited by Two Bee; Sep 21, 2017 at 11:05 pm
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
As a more general thought..

I may also be in this boat this year, hitting 100k PQM but falling short of the PQD. If I decided to do a "dollar run" it would of course be easy, but are there any suggestions for what to do? I'm thinking things that are "cool, but not usually worth the price tag" that can be taken advantage of since the objective is to burn a pile of money. I could always do a $1,700 SFO-LAX turn, but it would be more fun to e.g. pick up a 77W to EWR. Other ideas?
Besides the obvious -- you can spend almost $13/mile on an SFO-STS roundtrip in Y -- I had a couple of other thoughts:

1 - Coast-to-Coast in the Devil's Chariot. This turned out to be a lot more difficult than I expected, but I did find SFO-SBP-LAX-FAT-DEN-COU-ORD-DAY-IAD, departing Mon 12/11 at 7:40, arriving Tuesday 12/12 at 16:08, with no connection longer than 6 hours 14 minutes, for $1249.40.

2 - Circumnavigate the hubs. Starting from one city, transit every other UA (mainland) hub exactly once before returning to that city. Intermediate stops are encouraged, provided that you don't repeat the same city twice. Lower 48 only. What's the quickest? What's the highest PQM?

For a mere $2207.60, you can get 23,653 miles (per ITA) from 12/11-12/16, with SFO-MIA-ORD-MCO-LAX-MSP-IAH-LAS-EWR-AUS-IAD-SEA-DEN-BOS-SFO.

3 - Try the unusual modes of transportation -- the Amtrak codeshare to ZFV or the bus service to Allentown.

4 - Head to Newfoundland and try a half-hour timezone.

5 - Visit as many of the new additions to the UA route map as possible, since you never know when they'll be gone. CKB, CMI, COU, RST, UIN, CGI, CNY, VEL, and STS -- I believe they all gained service this year, if I'm not mistaken.

6 - Try the Texas Two-Step: How many Texas airports can you hit in a day? (Here, you're "two-stepping" back to IAH each time). AUS-IAH-SAT-IAH-DFW-IAH-CRP-IAH-BRO is $816.40.

Anybody else? :-)
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
2 - Circumnavigate the hubs. Starting from one city, transit every other UA (mainland) hub exactly once before returning to that city. Intermediate stops are encouraged, provided that you don't repeat the same city twice. Lower 48 only. What's the quickest? What's the highest PQM?
Oddly, I was considering something quite similar to this earlier this evening. The 'game' I thought of was how to transit every domestic United hub without repeating or 'crossing' one's path. The simplest (and shortest) solution appears to be LAX-SFO-DEN-ORD-EWR-IAD-IAH. Then there's a 'zigzag' pattern IAH-LAX-IAD-DEN-SFO-ORD-EWR that takes advantage of the fact that both DEN and ORD are nearly spot on the routes between SFO and IAD / EWR respectively. This yields 8,652 PQM. As an homage to Phileas Fogg, I think It would be interesting to figure out how quickly (keeping within MCT) this routing could be flown using currently scheduled UA flights.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:50 pm

Programs: None anymore
Besides the obvious -- you can spend almost $13/mile on an SFO-STS roundtrip in Y -- I had a couple of other thoughts:

For a mere $2207.60, you can get 23,653 miles (per ITA) from 12/11-12/16, with SFO-MIA-ORD-MCO-LAX-MSP-IAH-LAS-EWR-AUS-IAD-SEA-DEN-BOS-SFO.
Too hard, I'm flying ICN-AUS and back for $2,400 in P and I'm getting 29,102 PQM for the trip. Of course, that's not BIS, rather BISx2 because of the P fare, but still. I would much rather travel in comfort than try that mess of an itinerary
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by warrenw
Too hard, I'm flying ICN-AUS and back for $2,400 in P and I'm getting 29,102 PQM for the trip. Of course, that's not BIS, rather BISx2 because of the P fare, but still. I would much rather travel in comfort than try that mess of an itinerary
Well, to be perfectly honest, I sort of figured that findark had already considered things like "look for a TPAC sale fare." (That's a great fare, BTW ^). So, I figured I'd contribute my ideas that might be... unusual.

I may find myself in a similar situation at the end of the year. Depending upon whether or not I think 1K is worth it for next year, I may very well be trying either the Texas one or the "look for new service cities" one.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I may also be in this boat this year, hitting 100k PQM but falling short of the PQD. If I decided to do a "dollar run" it would of course be easy, but are there any suggestions for what to do? I'm thinking things that are "cool, but not usually worth the price tag" that can be taken advantage of since the objective is to burn a pile of money.
I've done these the last two years. A TPAC in P/R (LAX-SFO-NRT//HKG-SFO) and last year P/Z SFO-HNL//LIH-LAX. There's currently a $3700 P fare SFO-SIN, which you can route on UA/NH, and a $2900 P fare SFO-BUD, which you can route on UA/LH/LX. Did this last month with a 20 hr connection in ZRH, which was awesome. Spent 120 CHF on Laderach chocolates.

Originally Posted by ftweb
But the website says I get 500 PQM but am ineligible for PQD on the FRA-LUX-FRA segments.
If you haven't flown it yet, disregard what the website says. It's often wrong. There's not a problem until the miles fail to post after the flight.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Well, to be perfectly honest, I sort of figured that findark had already considered things like "look for a TPAC sale fare." (That's a great fare, BTW ^). So, I figured I'd contribute my ideas that might be... unusual.

I may find myself in a similar situation at the end of the year. Depending upon whether or not I think 1K is worth it for next year, I may very well be trying either the Texas one or the "look for new service cities" one.
Hah, well, yes. If maximum comfort were the goal, pretty sure the LAX turn wins out (has F, is short, tons of frequency in case of IRROPS).

Crossing the country on a CRJ just sounds diabolical*. I just spent 1h30 in LH Y, and that was enough 30" pitch for the year (well actually I have to do the same again next week...). Realistically I'd probably run to BOS with p.s. to see friends there, but I like the trying new cities UA serves suggestion. Could definitely be an excuse to fly into some small outstations that would never be worth the airfare otherwise.

*I think I'll stick for crossing the Pacific in a 737, which I almost did except finished with flatbed 77G HNL-SFO.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Crossing the country on a CRJ just sounds diabolical.
Sure, but imagine the looks you'll get when you tell people your story!

Tell you what -- if you fly that route, I'll spring for the "I survived" T-shirt.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: Southwest ALP, United 2MM Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I would think UA could catch such shenanigans (if they wanted to) by looking at travel patterns.
Exactly why I switched back to my US address a few weeks after being overseas for 3 years, had no interest in losing MM and 700K+ miles. Can't say I wasn't tempted as it was the office address so any mail would have been accepted.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Is there a consensus view on why UA waives the PQD requirements for status for people with non-US residences?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by physioprof
Is there a consensus view on why UA waives the PQD requirements for status for people with non-US residences?
The has been speculated on many times and no consensus.
DL did not have it at their rollout, but the just begs the question why for them. AA does not waiver it.

But for more speculation see
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...er-happen.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...worldwide.html

and the orignal
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...on-thread.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.