FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   LH Advance Seat selection fees for flights booked on UA tickets (none on X awards) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1848673-lh-advance-seat-selection-fees-flights-booked-ua-tickets-none-x-awards.html)

mathgeek1978 Jul 7, 2021 11:27 pm

Does anyone have any recent experience on this policy that you can post an update? I am ready to book an 016 ticket in premium economy with one TATL segment (SFO - FRA) on LH. Any comments, insights, or recent experience will be appreciated. TIA!

Kacee Jul 8, 2021 12:07 am

Originally Posted by mathgeek1978 (Post 33389826)
Does anyone have any recent experience on this policy that you can post an update? I am ready to book an 016 ticket in premium economy with one TATL segment (SFO - FRA) on LH. Any comments, insights, or recent experience will be appreciated. TIA!

I'm in similar boat, about to book an LX itinerary via UA. Note that you can cancel and refund for free within 24 hours if you can't select seats.

pretzlaff Jul 8, 2021 5:36 am

I have a Y segment from MUC to KRK on LH as a UA codeshare. Two days ago, I went online and paid $14/ seat for exit rows. I am *G, and this was a 'classic' ticket, not 'light'.

I have a native LX segment also and called them to get a seat a week ago and it was the same $14. They also sold me the seats on LH but this dropped off the reservation a couple days later. I was not able to buy seats on the LX site for the LH segment. You would think that they use the same software and back office.

Buying what seems to be the same flight and ticket type on LH for that segment allows for some free seat assignments including exit rows. Odd that you buy it from them, it is free. Buy it from United, and it is not.

Kacee Jul 8, 2021 9:02 am

Originally Posted by pretzlaff (Post 33390261)
You would think that they use the same software and back office.

While they both use Amadeus, the user interface, databases and back office are separate. Neither airline's is any good, though LX's is worse. I always find it amusing though how the cs agents for both airlines will never admit the IT made a mistake - it's always the fault of either UA or the passenger ;)

TomMM Jul 8, 2021 9:16 am

This has always been hit or miss for me on paid tickets. If a seat assignment is important book the ticket via LH and pay the fee.

oliver2002 Jul 8, 2021 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 33390736)
While they both use Amadeus, the user interface, databases and back office are separate. Neither airline's is any good, though LX's is worse. I always find it amusing though how the cs agents for both airlines will never admit the IT made a mistake - it's always the fault of either UA or the passenger ;)

LX/OS/SN use the same Amadeus Altea system as LH, the user interface is also the same. LX still uses other call centers to handle calls, but the system is the same. This happened in 2014-15.

Seat assignments are done in LH/LX system and paid for using an EMD. The synch of booking between UA's flavor of shares and Amadeus Altea is patchy at best.

WineCountryUA Jul 8, 2021 11:59 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 33391294)
... Seat assignments are done in LH/LX system and paid for using an EMD. ...

It was my understanding this only worked for native LH flight numbers and not codeshares (UA flight number). Has that changed?

oliver2002 Jul 8, 2021 11:51 pm

They are tying to make it happen with codeshares too, but its near impossible as the ownership of the PNR is with the codeshare partner and the issuing office.

Kacee Jul 9, 2021 12:45 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 33391294)
LX/OS/SN use the same Amadeus Altea system as LH, the user interface is also the same.

I was referring to the customer facing web interface, which is not the same. I have no idea what employees see :)

oliver2002 Jul 9, 2021 3:44 am

All (OS/LX/SN) are moving to the LH interface anyway. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luft...ne-2018-a.html

mathgeek1978 Jul 9, 2021 10:48 am

I found the answer to my own question. After booking the ticket I called LH, giving them the LH booking code found on the UA 016 ticket confirmation, and was told that I needed to pay a fee for advance seat selection. It will be free at check in. *A status makes no difference.

I searched the LH website and confirmed what the agent said was correct:

Advance seat reservations for Premium Economy Class passengers | Lufthansa

This is outrageous! I can understand a seat reservation fee for deeply discounted or basic economy tickets. But for a PE ticket this is outrageous and ridiculous.

HNLbasedFlyer Jul 9, 2021 10:51 am

Originally Posted by mathgeek1978 (Post 33394044)

This is outrageous! I can understand a seat reservation fee for deeply discounted or basic economy tickets. But for a PE ticket this is outrageous and ridiculous.

The grass is not always greener on the other side....just saying.

mathgeek1978 Jul 9, 2021 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 33394052)
The grass is not always greener on the other side....just saying.

No... not at all... I never thought so. I actually prefer UA, just that LH works best for this particular segment.

SPN Lifer Jul 10, 2021 5:07 am

Originally Posted by mathgeek1978 (Post 33394044)

Are not Premium Economy seats limited to a certain section of the aircraft?

If not seated in that section, I would expect one could receive a refund for the downgrade, either from LH voluntarily, or through a chargeback.

1k-all-the-way Jul 10, 2021 6:32 am

Haven't read whole thread, but i have a paid J ticket (booked into discount P) on 016 stock that i can easily pick seats for on the app and website.