Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

LH Advance Seat selection fees for flights booked on UA tickets {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2024, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is
LH Advance Seat selection fees for flights booked on UA tickets (none on X awards)

Seat assignment fees for LH flights booked via UA has a moving target, consult LH Seat selection and advance seat reservation for present rules

As of July 2021
Codeshares are now included
UA economy award tickets -- no fee
Paid economy tickets
(without higher LH status) -- fee varies on flight distance, intraEurope may be fee for higher economy fares
Paid Premium Economy (without higher LH status) -- fee varies on flight distance
Business / First -- no fee, even for codeshares

For those seats with advance selection fees, there will be no fee at check-in for available seats

Print Wikipost

LH Advance Seat selection fees for flights booked on UA tickets {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Just to level the playing field - what happens to someone who goes on LH's Website and books a J ticket on LH ticket stock and with an LH code share flight number, but is operated by UA? Can he/she book a seat assignment?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Just to level the playing field - what happens to someone who goes on LH's Website and books a J ticket on LH ticket stock and with an LH code share flight number, but is operated by UA? Can he/she book a seat assignment?
I asked this earlier in the thread, but no one answered.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
The only UA fares that disallow advance seat assignments are BE fares.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:22 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Just booked a 016 trip with a LH coded and operated flight, not able to select seat. What a bunch of BS this is if it's real.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:19 am

Location: Various tier levels of frequent flyer/hotel plans received for bellyaching about minor flaws in the service I received.
Went on to confirm seat selection on a flight I booked in February. While I'd previously selected my seats, and they were confirmed, could not change them. Spoke to LH and was told "you can change your seats at the airport, but not online." Swiss flight worked fine.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by CO DCA
Went on to confirm seat selection on a flight I booked in February. While I'd previously selected my seats, and they were confirmed, could not change them. Spoke to LH and was told "you can change your seats at the airport, but not online." Swiss flight worked fine.
That makes no sense. LX flights on UA codeshare cannot get seats online anyway ... but you can call or Email.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 4:10 pm

Location: Various tier levels of frequent flyer/hotel plans received for bellyaching about minor flaws in the service I received.
Originally Posted by cfischer
That makes no sense. LX flights on UA codeshare cannot get seats online anyway ... but you can call or Email.
Yes, you're right. I forgot that while it was all bought together the LX flight is separated out so it's an LX flight number.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:29 pm

In this day and age codeshared should be prohibited, period. It's nothing more than a marking hack and it creates a lot of inconvenience to the customers.

In the past codeshare connection we're more easily discoverable, because search engines were bad and would look at "same airline" first. Now flight search is pretty good and will find connections on other metal as long as there is a fare which allows them.

Same goes for 1-stop direct flight (connection with same flight number, but most of the time even different aircraft and will not wait it first section is late).
Old Jun 21, 2017, 6:42 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by nevansm
Just booked a 016 trip with a LH coded and operated flight, not able to select seat. What a bunch of BS this is if it's real.
It is real...

Tested on my Corpo Booking Tool - I get UNABLE TO PROCESS error response

Ridiculous - at the end of the day they share the money...
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AntonS

Same goes for 1-stop direct flight (connection with same flight number, but most of the time even different aircraft and will not wait it first section is late).
United markets an IAD-LAS direct, with a stop in SFO. Not only do you change planes and if late it won't wait for you, but you are in some horrible limbo and it takes a supervisor to override a ton of crap to get you a flight.

You also only get PQM for the "Direct" portion, not what you actually flew.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
Originally Posted by nevansm
I am confused now. OP said the problem is with codeshares. So no selection even with an LH flight number, if it's a 016 ticket?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fatlasercat
I am confused now. OP said the problem is with codeshares. So no selection even with an LH flight number, if it's a 016 ticket?
I have a 016 (award) ticket with native LH #s SFO-MUC-BUD and was able to select seats on Monday when I booked.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fatlasercat
There are other possible variables that would preclude advance seat assignment even with an LH flight number, including certain economy fares or intra-Europe itinerary.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
If you are booked in J or C in business, W in premium economy or Y in economy on BA, you get free seat selection from time of booking regardless of status.
This is correct, and in addition there may be other economy fares that get free seat selection without status - BA refers to these as "Flexible" and "Semi-Flexible" fares.

Anyway, this paying for seat selection in business class thing has also been the topic of several angry threads at BA
Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
This development will train UA flyers (once they've met their PQD totals) to book all remaining LH flights on LH ticket stock. Especially since UA doesn't seem to be retaliating.

I guess the *A contract between the airlines that covers things like lounge access, boarding & luggage priority, etc., doesn't cover seat assignments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.