Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

LH Advance Seat selection fees for flights booked on UA tickets (none on X awards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2021, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Seat assignment fees for LH flights booked via UA has a moving target, consult LH Seat selection and advance seat reservation for present rules

As of July 2021
Codeshares are now included
UA economy award tickets -- no fee
Paid economy tickets
(without higher LH status) -- fee varies on flight distance, intraEurope may be fee for higher economy fares
Paid Premium Economy (without higher LH status) -- fee varies on flight distance
Business / First -- no fee, even for codeshares

For those seats with advance selection fees, there will be no fee at check-in for available seats

Archive: LH Advance Seat selection fees for flights booked on UA tickets {Archive}

Print Wikipost

LH Advance Seat selection fees for flights booked on UA tickets (none on X awards)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2021, 10:15 am

Lufthansa has premium economy, so if you change from a United flight, you should also find yourself in premium economy on Lufthansa. However, Lufthansa does not offer free advance seat selection in premium economy, so you will have to pay for it (see https://www.lufthansa.com/ae/en/sitz...meconomy-class ).

See How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers for how star alliance upgrades work.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 10:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mysticalice
will i be eligible for upgrades based on my star gold or United 1k?
No. You can use your PlusPoints, subject to fare class restrictions.

ALSO, not sure if this counts for anything, and a little off topic, but the current flight on United that i have to change, has me in premium economy. will that transfer to the lufthansa flight or will i be in regular eco?
Not enough information. If this is an unflown itinerary, odds are your ticket will reprice and class of service of the new ticket will depend on the fare and what you are willing to pay.

Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
See How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers for how star alliance upgrades work.
Why would OP try a *A upgrade if she has PP to use on LH?
SPN Lifer and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
can I go to Lufthansa and pick a seat there with the lufthansa confirmation it gives me? will it make me pay extra to do it?
Yes, but LH charges for ASR in PE. This is waived for HON and SEN, but not UA*G.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Hello
1K member here, but still figuring out the way partner airlines work when it comes to using status/miles/PlusPoints on them.
For example - i need to change an existing flight segment via United, but it's going to mean flying one of the international legs on a Luftansa flight. That means i don't get visibility to seat map during booking. can I go to Lufthansa and pick a seat there with the lufthansa confirmation it gives me? will it make me pay extra to do it? will i be eligible for upgrades based on my star gold or United 1k?

Sorry for the questions. i understand the PQP and PQF awards and how that will work, but this part i have no idea

ALSO, not sure if this counts for anything, and a little off topic, but the current flight on United that i have to change, has me in premium economy. will that transfer to the lufthansa flight or will i be in regular eco?
What booking class is your TATL in? You might be better off getting rebooked into B and using +Ps to upgrade to J than being stuck in the lowest Prem Eco fare which on LH is NOT upgradable.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 7:40 am

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Seat selection on LH through UA app

Has it always been possible to select seats on LH segments on UA tix through the United app/website?

I seem to remember on previous reservations there was no option to do so with a message that it was a partner airline segment. However on making a change to a Dec reservation yesterday as a result of LH schedule update I was able to select seats in J for MUC-IAD segment on the UA site.

Oddly, using the LH PNR that same segment shows on LH website as seat selection being unavailable, but once I had selected the seats on UA it updated to show the seat selections I had made. On another LH segment in the same reservation I could select seats on both UA and LH sites.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by mattg85
Has it always been possible to select seats on LH segments on UA tix through the United app/website?

I seem to remember on previous reservations there was no option to do so with a message that it was a partner airline segment. However on making a change to a Dec reservation yesterday as a result of LH schedule update I was able to select seats in J for MUC-IAD segment on the UA site.

Oddly, using the LH PNR that same segment shows on LH website as seat selection being unavailable, but once I had selected the seats on UA it updated to show the seat selections I had made. On another LH segment in the same reservation I could select seats on both UA and LH sites.
Just had the same experience. Booked on UA today with some LH segments intra-Europe and got seat maps and seat selection. The maps showed as reference during booking with a message that I would be able to choose after purchase, which I did.

A change I like!
Old Oct 1, 2021, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mattg85

Originally Posted by st530
Just had the same experience. Booked on UA today with some LH segments intra-Europe and got seat maps and seat selection. The maps showed as reference during booking with a message that I would be able to choose after purchase, which I did.

A change I like!
Native LH flight #s or UA codeshares?
Old Oct 2, 2021, 12:18 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by cfischer
One of each.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 2:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by cfischer
For an itinerary booked earlier this year, I was also able to select seats on the UA website for both native LH flights & UA codeshare flights.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Positive report: I just booked a UA P fare, with three LX operated segments and was able to select seats on the LX website for all three.
Any of these UA codeshares?

On the LX website, I can select a seat on an LX marketed/operated flight, but not on the LX flight with UA codeshare number.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 4:27 pm

Seat reservation issues between United/Lufthansa

Flying from the USA to Rome via Frankfurt. The FRA-FCO leg is United 8744. Reservation says it's operated by United. But United won't let me reserve a seat and says I need to do so through Lufthansa website. I go to Lufthansa to do so and get the same message - can't do this here, need to do it via United. What's going on? Am I gonna be able to get a seat if I call? I'd rather check here first.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA Silver
That is a LH operated flight, and they typically don't have free seat selection outside of 24 hrs. It should be through LH however.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
United doesn't fly from FRA to FCO. Has to be LH.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 5:16 pm

advance seating for business class only
Old Nov 7, 2021, 5:48 pm

Wait until T-24h of the Lufthansa flight
Old Nov 19, 2021, 8:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Med, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
Haven't read whole thread, but i have a paid J ticket (booked into discount P) on 016 stock that i can easily pick seats for on the app and website.
Which app/website? UA, or LH?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.