UA567 cxl - neighbor fail

Old Jun 16, 17, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold, AA Gold, UA3P, DL proletariat, US nothingness, proud Costco Executive member
UA567 cxl - neighbor fail

Just heard from my wife that neighbor was headed IAD to PBI on UA567. 567 was cancelled at flight time. He was told aircraft wouldn't arrive, and to check back in evening. The 7ish to EWR was delayed so he wouldn't make connection. Told was rescheduled on 567 tomorrow. Wife asked what UA did for him. Get this, nothing. So, after an easy check, I see 567 was cnx due to aircraft maintenance. When he obediently shows up in morning, what should he ask for (that, admittedly, he should have requested at first?) Am not a UA guy. All I'll say is it wouldn't have been me! Thanks for suggestions.
Old Jun 16, 17, 11:18 pm

I suppose UA could have/would have put him up at IAD and give meal vouchers if he asked.

I guess can write to UA for a voucher or miles. I don't think front line employees can give compensation yet.
Old Jun 17, 17, 7:22 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; United 1K (domestic). Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by username View Post
I suppose UA could have/would have put him up at IAD and give meal vouchers if he asked.

I guess can write to UA for a voucher or miles. I don't think front line employees can give compensation yet.
Front line employees can absolutely issue ETC and have had the discretionary ability to so (back) for a while now [I've had ETCs proactively offered for minor inconveniences even when the agent issuing the ETC had nothing to do with it]...not sure about cash compensation/expense reimbursement other than ETCs.

But I'm also discovering some of the more friendly agents are tracking my vitals even more closely than I would have imagined, and I thought they were tracking things pretty closely. (e.g. airport agents can see my home airport, YTD PQM, spend,etc. when I previously thought that that was something only MP agents could see at least without effort)
Old Jun 17, 17, 9:09 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc View Post
But I'm also discovering some of the more friendly agents are tracking my vitals even more closely than I would have imagined, and I thought they were tracking things pretty closely. (e.g. airport agents can see my home airport, YTD PQM, spend,etc. when I previously thought that that was something only MP agents could see at least without effort)
If that is what the friendly agents are doing, then what are the unfriendly agents up to with our vital statistics?
Old Jun 17, 17, 10:13 am
Senior Moderator/Moderator: United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
If I read the OP correctly, the neighbor lives in the IAD or greater D.C. area. IIRC UA's long-standing policy, it does not provide an overnight hotel for local residents, as it seems that the IAD flight(s) were the key to this itinerary failing.

I would have the neighbor focus, instead, on alternate, same-day flights to the PBI area from IAD or any nearby terminal the OP was willing to use (DCA, BWI) and on other carriers, if needed. That's my focus when I smell a likely lengthy delay ex-SFO. I present options to the 1K desk or local CSR and it almost always works. Or, if no valid options, declare a trip-in-vain, and have UA process a full refund.

Search this Thread