Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can you scan a Chinese visa via United app?

Old Jun 16, 17, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: United GS, Bonvoy Ambassador

I just went to check in for my EWR-PEK flight tomorrow and encountered the part of the United app (developed by Jumio) where it asked to scan my visa. (It already had my passport from a previous trip.)

The scanner is designed to find your picture on the left and snap an image when it does. However, my Chinese business visa (category M, 10-year multiple visits) doesn't include a picture, so the app wouldn't capture the image.

Am I correct in thinking that this is a bug? For now, I said I would finish check in at the airport, though that's obviously sub-optimal since I'm not checking luggage.
Old Jun 16, 17, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I was able to check in and use the app to scan my visa (last month).
Old Jun 16, 17, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
I was able to check in and use the app to scan my visa (last month).
It's good to know. For my last trip to PEK, I tried to check in on the website and got the message that I was not checked in. I never thought of doing it through the app. Mind you it was my third trip to China on the same visa so I thought that my visa should already be in their program.
Old Jun 16, 17, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA gold; WN A; PC plat; Marriott Gold
Last month I was able to fully check in via app for SFO-PEK flight by selecting my passport that was already in the system, and then using the app to scan my new 10yr M category Chinese visa.
Old Jun 16, 17, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United GS, Bonvoy Ambassador
Thanks very much for the info. I went back and tried again, and Jumio again came up with a screen showing a person's profile for what it wanted to scan. But I then waited 20 seconds and it switched modes and allowed me to capture an image of the visa. It didn't take after the first upload, but I took another picture (after another 10 second delay), and that time it decoded the visa information and let me proceed.

The most important thing was an existence proof that it did work. Thanks!
Old Apr 8, 18, 6:53 am

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Seems the app will only accept certain categories of visas now. Just tried to check-in for a trip to PVG tomorrow and it said my category of visa (Q2, ten years) is not eligible for mobile scanning. Guess I'll have to wait till the airport tomorrow.
drewguy likes this.
Old Apr 8, 18, 11:59 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.9 MM; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum
This is my repeated experience with Q2 visa. United, please fix this problem. Thanks.
Old Apr 8, 18, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Kmxu View Post
United, please fix this problem.
FlyerTalk is not an official channel to United, so this plea will have no effect.
Old Apr 8, 18, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HA Premier, Hertz #1 Gold PC, SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Kmxu View Post
This is my repeated experience with Q2 visa. United, please fix this problem. Thanks.
Thanks, at least I know it's not just me then. Don't know why they won't allow mobile scanning of Q2s. Other than the category they look and function exactly the same as any other Chinese visitor visa.
Old Apr 8, 18, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
FlyerTalk is not an official channel to United, so this plea will have no effect.
The former sure, but they read it anyway looking for the latest errors in customers favors.
onthesam, Kmxu, mrt88 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 8, 18, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
I was hoping that UA insider would read this thread and solve this problem. Perhaps, I was day dreaming
Old May 29, 18, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by gradsflyer View Post
Seems the app will only accept certain categories of visas now. Just tried to check-in for a trip to PVG tomorrow and it said my category of visa (Q2, ten years) is not eligible for mobile scanning. Guess I'll have to wait till the airport tomorrow.
Good news! I just flew IAD-PVG Monday and was able to mobile check-in scanning a 10-year Q2 visa (even got sequence number 1 ). They might have recently added this capability.
Kmxu likes this.
Old Oct 16, 18, 7:23 am

Programs: DL PM, UA 1K, SPG Plat 100 & Lifetime Gold, Hertz President's Circle
The app get the info my Chinese M visa but then just gets stuck while trying to upload it. I cannot get it to work jo matter what I do. Almost lost my upgrade because of this.
Old Oct 16, 19, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Can I ask how to access the visa scan capability? Is it accessible by choosing "add another passport" and then letting the app scan the visa? Or is there is a different location to add this visa? Also, does this only work on Chinese visas? Or are other visas eligible as well?
Old Oct 16, 19, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by IADFlyer123 View Post
Can I ask how to access the visa scan capability? Is it accessible by choosing "add another passport" and then letting the app scan the visa? Or is there is a different location to add this visa? Also, does this only work on Chinese visas? Or are other visas eligible as well?
When you check in your outbound (US--> China) flights, the App will ask for passport information and then visa information. If they have stored both passport and visa, you do not need to re-scan then. On the check-in, App still asks you to save the existing passport information.
Good luck.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: