Booked in Polaris Business, receipt shows PE?

Old Jun 16, 17, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Booked in Polaris Business, receipt shows PE?

Sorry, but I don't fly United much and I rarely use award miles...until now. Booked a Business Saver Award for a flight from MAD to IAD. Curious that my e-receipt (very bottom) shows a PE class. Is this how Saver Awards are processed?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
eTicket Itinerary and Receipt.pdf (263.4 KB, 747 views)
Old Jun 16, 17, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Were you originally booked in economy, upgraded to Economy Plus (last Fri) than changed to business (Mon)?

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Your whole receipt is odd. It shows I class (business class) but that you debited for a Y award (30k).

Did you change an old award? It appears that you have 2x award change fees plus an E+ purchase plus it lists this as an S30K award which is a Y award despite also now being in I class.

If you made changes sometimes the receipts get funky. If worried you can always call to confirm that it shows correctly on the UA end.

Originally Posted by fozziedoggie View Post
Sorry, but I don't fly United much and I rarely use award miles...until now. Booked a Business Saver Award for a flight from MAD to IAD. Curious that my e-receipt (very bottom) shows a PE class. Is this how Saver Awards are processed?
Did you originally redeem for economy and change to business? My interpretation of your receipt after redactions is that you have paid for an economy plus and two change fees.
Old Jun 16, 17, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Give that man/woman a cigar....yes, way back when, booked a standard economy award (maybe saver). Paid for E+ seats, then needed to change dates, etc. Finally accrued some additional miles, so paid to revise award travel to Business Saver. No doubt I'm in Business as I can continue to select seats at will in that class. So I guess the e-receipts don't always line up with actuality.
Thanks for the quick responses and the UA learning lesson.

Originally Posted by fumje View Post
Did you originally redeem for economy and change to business? My interpretation of your receipt after redactions is that you have paid for an economy plus and two change fees.
Old Jun 16, 17, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by fozziedoggie View Post
Give that man/woman a cigar....yes, way back when, booked a standard economy award (maybe saver). Paid for E+ seats, then needed to change dates, etc. Finally accrued some additional miles, so paid to revise award travel to Business Saver. No doubt I'm in Business as I can continue to select seats at will in that class. So I guess the e-receipts don't always line up with actuality.
Thanks for the quick responses and the UA learning lesson.
Side-note: my interpretation is that you should be able to receive a refund of the E+ fee, but perhaps others can advise.
Old Jun 16, 17, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje View Post
Side-note: my interpretation is that you should be able to receive a refund of the E+ fee, but perhaps others can advise.
Yes, but UA will likely require that OP travel first and then they will refund E+ afterwards.
Old Jun 16, 17, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My understanding is that E+ fees are non-refundable.
Old Jun 16, 17, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
My understanding is that E+ fees are non-refundable.
https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/pro...onomyPlus.aspx

Refunds for Economy Plus purchases are processed automatically after scheduled departure in the event of flight cancellation or change to a different flight, when travel is completed in a standard United Economy seat, or when travel is completed in a seat of equal or greater value through the purchase of a premium cabin seating offer. If a Complimentary Premier Upgrade is issued, then the Economy Plus purchase is not eligible for a refund.
Doesn't cover this situation exactly, but I think there'd be a fairly good chance of getting a refund in this case.

Search this Thread