Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Weather delay, missed connection need advise asap

Old Jun 15, 17, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

I need to make this decision in a few hours, and I'm not sure what is the best way.

6/14 ORD-DEN delayed about 4 hours due to weather. Missed DEN-ASE connection and the next available flight was 6/15. I wanted to cancel this segment and drive to ASE because an appt. Customer service at DEN said I had to cancel online. I went online but the only options was to rebook. No option to cancel. Today I have the option to rebook on 5/16 or 5/17 (48-72 hours after original flight). Still no option to cancel.

Do I need to rebook and *then* cancel this segment (DEN-ASE)? Will that be possible? This is the most expensive segment of the trip. I am interested in some kind of credit or voucher. I'm not looking for a full refund.

Thanks!!!
Old Jun 15, 17, 1:06 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM, Hilton Gold
When is your return trip?
Old Jun 15, 17, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

DEN-ASE was the last flight. I had to drive to ASE. I have never cancelled the last flight. I do have to cancel a flight before I ask for a refund, that is clear from website and agent. So my gut feeling is I have to rebook and then cancel. I'm sure this has happened to others.
Old Jun 15, 17, 1:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA Platinum/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
Call reservations - they can cancel the extra segment if you explain to them that it's an IRROP. The agent was incorrect - you cannot cancel only 1 segment by yourself online.
Old Jun 15, 17, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

OK, thanks, calling right now
Old Jun 15, 17, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Agent says I should just ask for refund or write to United feedback. That they'll see why I couldn't make the ASE flight and issue some refund. Does this sound right? On the United app I can rebook. On the official system the segment is gone.
Old Jun 15, 17, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by achevres View Post
Agent says I should just ask for refund or write to United feedback. That they'll see why I couldn't make the ASE flight and issue some refund. Does this sound right? On the United app I can rebook. On the official system the segment is gone.
Yes, that should be fine. The coupon will be shown as unflown, so a refund request should be honored when you mention the IRROPS.

What amount of residual value UA will assign to that segment is another question entirely.
Old Jun 15, 17, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

OK, I'll ask for the refund. Thanks again.
Old Jun 15, 17, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by achevres View Post
OK, I'll ask for the refund. Thanks again.
note that the refund may be minimal to Zero. In fact, probably likely. Depends on how the trip was constructed. Sometimes trips to a hub like this actually cost more than going to a connecting place (have no idea obviously about your ticket specifically, or even ASE in general).
Old Jun 15, 17, 2:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Don't count on doing this after the fact as UA will have OP as a noshow.

At this point, I would still no show and request a refund after. But, I would also submit via webform a note to the effect that you have been advised to do this and are therefore cancelling the segment.

This creates a time-stamped record that you did have the conversation and are notifying UA before the ASE departure.

Search this Thread