Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Past incident with elderly United passenger in Houston leads to lawsuit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Past incident with elderly United passenger in Houston leads to lawsuit

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2017, 1:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Discussion Reminder

A key tenet of FT is
If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.
Commenting how you expect other posters to react or how they might characterize this incident is not appropriate. Such posts have been removed.

Also let's stay focused on the UA related issues and not wander into OMNI like discussions of unions.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jun 14, 2017, 1:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SFO777
This settlement will be far, far higher especially with a good attorney and will have nothing to do with expenses.
UA is going to wind up paying well into 7 figures or more to make this disappear before any trial.
I would tend to agree this case will be at the very high end of the spectrum. It's intentional conduct by the employee and both that initial push and the subsequent failure to provide aid (to a 70 year old man) evidence a callous disregard for the passenger's rights that make punitive damages a near certainty. UA won't want this case anywhere near a Texas jury.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by minnyfly
.. The bottom line is that you have tens of thousands of employees, unfortunately not everyone is a saint and will properly restrain themselves.
True, but not a single employee of the more than 10 I counted in that video did anything to help. 5 directly witnessed it, and another 5+ saw the man afterwards. Yet it took a passenger, not a United employee, to finally come to the person's aid. That is a complete lack of empathy.

That says everything about United's culture. This is not a bad apple problem. It is far worse than that.

But I do agree with you, minnyfly, that the leadership in the end is to blame for allowing this culture to persist, not the employees.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Duke787
Agreed another ridiculous, tone-deaf response.
I notice they don't say whether he was fired or if he continued to work for UA and eventually left later for his own reasons.

No mention of the other employees who stood around and did nothing.

The passenger the UA employee pushed down? He's an attorney.

The fact that UA didn't immediately rush to shut this down is not only a sign of a toxic corporate culture; it's a sign of a remarkably stupid one.

I can't imagine what kind of payout UA would be looking at if the man had died, or been much more severely injured than he was. I'm disgusted that the attacker wasn't convicted of assault. I'm more disgusted by a corporate culture that doesn't even clean up its act to protect its bottom line.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Couldn't have said it much better. It's a broken record.

I'd gladly mouth off (and whatever else it took for this guy) and get pushed to the ground for a million dollars. No excuse for the employee's actions, but there's been times in the retail sector when I wanted to clock a customer that was verbally abusing me. The bottom line is that you have tens of thousands of employees, unfortunately not everyone is a saint and will properly restrain themselves. There's bad apples in every company. As a customer, I'm concerned with the bad apples at the top, not the ones at the bottom that strike when provoked. You can avoid the second. You can't always avoid the first.

Makes you wonder what exactly happened before the video clip (it doesn't look we have the whole story), and during the final exchange. I mean, NOBODY in the area came to his aid. No UA person. Not fellow passengers standing just feet away. The first person to check on him came from outside the video view many seconds later. That's telling about what people possibly thought of the passenger as well.
Seriously?

Did you even watch the raw surveillance footage shown in the article (not the news report clip). It shows the incident from the very beginning, when the passenger walked up to the United staff from off camera.

And it was bad enough for several people in the area to stop what they are doing and not move on. IMO, they did not rush to the persons aid as there were uniformed United staff right next to him, who should have been handling the event. Or maybe they were concerned for their own safety after witnessing the attack on the passenger?

Once the staff wanders a bit away is when the Nurse comes over to assist.

There is no justification nor defense to this one.

Last edited by goodeats21; Jun 14, 2017 at 2:19 pm
Old Jun 14, 2017, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
This settlement will be far, far higher especially with a good attorney and will have nothing to do with expenses.
UA is going to wind up paying well into 7 figures or more to make this disappear before any trial.
I hope so (poor guy), but all in all the only point of my post, is that it is all based on math (of some sort or another) with regard to settlement. Someone for United and someone for the insurance company will have to justify to their boss the amount they will pay to settle this claim. Plus, his lawyer will have to justify to his client why to accept said settlement offer.

Hence, my prior analysis. 7 figures is certainly possible in this case, especially if he had a closed head injury and is suffering from permanent cognitive function, memory loss and/or permanent disability. On the other hand, if his actual damages are only a few thousand dollars and there are no future care concerns, then he would be lucky to settle in the 5 figures. (What helps is the certain egregious behavior). Also, if he is a high wage earner and is missing work because of his injuries, his damages for lost wages will accrue very quickly.

Jury award is another matter and there are exemplary damages which can be awarded in this case. In most cases in Texas, exemplary damages are capped but they may not be in this case if it is considered conduct that is exempt from the cap (Ie certain felonies).

Put it this way, if you are a 45 year old male and are in a plane crash in the US by a US carrier with clear liability of the carrier (which in my opinion would be far worse than a United employee pushing you on the floor), you are a high wage earner at the time (100k per year +), and suffered cervical herniation's with stenosis (compression of the spine) requiring surgery and the insertion of plates, you can expect the settlement to be about $2.7mm.

Also, by way of comparison Harris County (IAH) in Texas is more conservative than Nueces County (Corpus)-so geography will also play into the determination.

In my experience, most case are somewhere around 2-3 times damages-but there are exceptions, and I believe this case may be one of them. So to get to a million, you have to have at least 200k in verifiable damages after they are adjusted for the paid/incurred requirement). In other words, 300k-400k in medical bills, lost wages, etc...

Last edited by coplatsat; Jun 14, 2017 at 2:00 pm
Old Jun 14, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: formerly UA GS, now lowly MM lifetime gold :(
Originally Posted by blueman2
True, but not a single employee of the more than 10 I counted in that video did anything to help. 5 directly witnessed it, and another 5+ saw the man afterwards. Yet it took a passenger, not a United employee, to finally come to the person's aid. That is a complete lack of empathy.

That says everything about United's culture. This is not a bad apple problem. It is far worse than that.

But I do agree with you, minnyfly, that the leadership in the end is to blame for allowing this culture to persist, not the employees.
Spot on, almost. United has had a cultural problem for years and has not had any management seriously even acknowledge it much less do anything to fix it.

I do put some blame on the employees as they are the ones behaving in an inhuman manner, quite apparent in this situation.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 2:21 pm

The bottom line is that you have tens of thousands of employees, unfortunately not everyone is a saint and will properly restrain themselves.
I agree that there are going to be a couple of bad apples in every large group. How do you explain all the other UA employees who didn't lift a finger to assist? Or the UA employee who lied on the 911 call?

Makes you wonder what exactly happened before the video clip (it doesn't look we have the whole story),
Doesn't matter at this point. Any more than it matters what happened before Dr. Dao was dragged off the plane. UA really must have the worst PR staff in the industry if they resort to this kind of rationalization.

As I mentioned upthread, there is NO excuse for UA management's failure, after the Dao incident, to scour the company for other potential events of this nature, and take proactive action to prevent public disclosure.

I'll defend UA when they are right, such as with the spoiled tennis player. When an employee physically assaults an elderly man, and then NO ONE does ANYTHING to help him - that conduct is simply indefensible.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by blueman2
However UA wasn't the airline I was talking about that has a known problem up top. The evidence points to UA's problem being a few down low.

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Seriously?

Did you even watch the raw surveillance footage shown in the article. It shows the incident from the very beginning, when the passenger walked up to the United staff from off camera.

And it was bad enough for several people in the area to stop what they are doing and not move on. IMO, they did not rush to the persons aid as there were uniformed United staff right next to him, who should have been handling the event. Or maybe they were concerned for their own safety after witnessing the attack on the passenger?
Do you think I wrote those details without seeing the whole video? Come on.

If you think that was the beginning, I'm going to challenge you to provide the evidence that it is. And think about it. Do you trust the media to provide the whole story these days? Not a chance.

I'll provide the evidence that it wasn't. The video shows him entering the check-in area, and he appears to indeed have the boarding pass that was a stated point of contention. When he enters the field of view, he certainly appears to be upset, and there's a verbal exchange with the UA employees. One employee takes what is apparently his boarding pass to the desk. But he's definitely not done when he talks to the employee that he has the physical interaction with. Unfortunately from that from the angle we can't see if the passenger made physical contact with the employee as he walked close by.

So the evidence shows that he had already checked-in, which would make it very possible that he was in the check-in area prior. And his demeanor and actions indicates a person that was already upset. How that came to be is the an important question, because he certainly looked to be instigating in the clip we see. The actions of those around him also make you wonder. Very strange that no one came to his aid like you would expect in a random situation. Maybe he was letting everyone around know what his feelings were. Too bad we don't have audio.

There's no defense for physically pushing a customer. But that does not mean that customers should be able to do and say whatever they please without being responsible in part with the repercussions. I've been on the receiving end of those, and it's very hurtful. You naturally want to get back at them, but you can't. It's really sad how these despicable passengers are being treated like they are angels. This passenger was clearly no angel. Don't give him that level of sympathy. Both groups were very wrong.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by goodeats21
This perception of United is beginning to set in concrete.
The master brand narrative about UA is hardening. The brand has begun to stand, first and foremost, for various forms of brutality. (Volvo: safety. Tiffany: luxury. United: brutality.) Very hard thing to unwind.

Originally Posted by halls120
That UA allowed this old news to be yet another stain on their reputation is simply amazing.
The 25th or 30th time United robo-issues a statement saying, "The conduct shown here does not reflect our values or our commitment to treat all of our customers with respect and dignity," it becomes a joke.

The organization clearly has no mechanism for dealing authentically with this kind of thing, which runs disturbingly deep on the inside.

Originally Posted by cmdinnyc
How many customer service oriented companies and take these kinds of incidents coming up repeatedly and not suffer consequences?
Cartel members protected by lack of competition from the consequences of brutal policies and actions. See: telecoms, energy, banks.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
However UA wasn't the airline I was talking about that has a known problem up top. The evidence points to UA's problem being a few down low.

Do you think I wrote those details without seeing the whole video? Come on.

If you think that was the beginning, I'm going to challenge you to provide the evidence that it is. And think about it. Do you trust the media to provide the whole story these days? Not a chance.

I'll provide the evidence that it wasn't. The video shows him entering the check-in area, and he appears to indeed have the boarding pass that was a stated point of contention. When he enters the field of view, he certainly appears to be upset, and there's a verbal exchange with the UA employees. One employee takes what is apparently his boarding pass to the desk. But he's definitely not done when he talks to the employee that he has the physical interaction with. Unfortunately from that from the angle we can't see if the passenger made physical contact with the employee as he walked close by.

So the evidence shows that he had already checked-in, which would make it very possible that he was in the check-in area prior. And his demeanor and actions indicates a person that was already upset. How that came to be is the an important question, because he certainly looked to be instigating in the clip we see. The actions of those around him also make you wonder. Very strange that no one came to his aid like you would expect in a random situation. Maybe he was letting everyone around know what his feelings were. Too bad we don't have audio.

There's no defense for physically pushing a customer. But that does not mean that customers should be able to do and say whatever they please without being responsible in part with the repercussions. I've been on the receiving end of those, and it's very hurtful. You naturally want to get back at them, but you can't. It's really sad how these despicable passengers are being treated like they are angels. This passenger was clearly no angel. Don't give him that level of sympathy. Both groups were very wrong.
I will just end it here by saying I vehemently disagree with your perspective and wish you well in your future endeavors.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

So the evidence shows that he had already checked-in, which would make it very possible that he was in the check-in area prior.
From https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.41f6c31c4f3b

The encounter began when Tigner received a boarding pass that was illegible. He made “numerous attempts” to ask for a reprinted pass, but United agents denied him one, according to the lawsuit.

He was told to continue on to the security checkpoint, where Transportation Security Administration authorities refused to let Tigner enter because of his poorly printed pass.

So Tigner went back to the United ticketing area and tried once more to get a new ticket, the lawsuit states. Two United employees, Alejandro Anastasia and Ianthe Phillips-Allred, allegedly refused to help Tigner, laughing and cursing at him, the lawsuit states.
No matter what happened, though, I see no justification for an employee to ever touch or push a customer other than in self defense. And I don't see that in the video.

Last edited by notquiteaff; Jun 14, 2017 at 2:57 pm
Old Jun 14, 2017, 3:04 pm

We honestly have mo way of knowing what was said.

There was a pax on a DL flight leaving JFK I was on 3 years ago who was angry he didn’t get his coat hung up, or a pre-departure water. This is after the man borded the plane and was frustrated the overhead above his seat was filled. Obviously the male FA was being passive aggressive, then when he again asked for his beverage, he leaned to his seat mate (who the guy didn’t know), and called the FA, who happened to be gay, a disparaging homophobic remark. I could hear it from the row behind me.

Good thing this other pax felt so inclined to almost immediately get up up and tell the lead female FA what had just happened. When she came back, this moron could have seemed more charming and gentile. If “the video” had started here, nobody would have thought this man could have possibly said something like that, much less been so rude. Except he had made the mistake of uttering this remark to somebody he didn’t know, and loudly enough for those around him to hear. He was literally an angel to the female FA but then his seat mate straight up said “he’s a liar and I don’t feel comfortable with him in the flight”. The guy then started to try and apologize to the man “if he had offended him in any way”, again in an angelic tone.

Long story short, they booted him off the flight. Then the “real” man came out, who again shouted the slur from the jetway. The male FA was close to tears, I could tell, as the whole F cabin clapped for him.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
From https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.41f6c31c4f3b

No matter what happened, though, I see no justification for an employee to ever touch or push a customer other than in self defense. And I don't see that in the video.
The fact that the employee was criminally convicted also suggests there are no mitigating circumstances that occurred to justify his actions
​​​​​
Old Jun 14, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Do people working the check-in area receive any sort of rudimentary medical training? I'm trying to come up with a scenario where the reaction of the other UA employees isn't that awful (I like to try and think the best of people, and while there's obviously no 'best' for the pusher, there may be hope for the others...) and the best I can come up with is that they didn't know what to do and didn't want to interfere. Is it possible they called security to check on the man, as it looks like security showed up pretty soon after? What is official UA policy for this sort of thing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.