Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Past incident with elderly United passenger in Houston leads to lawsuit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Past incident with elderly United passenger in Houston leads to lawsuit

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Duke787
Houston news is reporting that UA threatened to take away the man's mileage account and ban him from flying UA if he sued...

How did a claims official look at video and conclude that was the appropriate response? Unreal
​​​​​

Link: http://www.click2houston.com/news/ho...-deter-lawsuit
Well start with firing Nancy tibbitts, the UA management person who threatened him. Hard to see how employees are not following managements lead when a threat was UA's official response. Really a broken culture after jeff.😱
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by spin88
Well start with firing Nancy tibbitts, the UA management person who threatened him. Hard to see how employees are not following managements lead when a threat was UA's official response.
Indeed. What a disgraceful response from UA.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
This guy's story falls further apart the more he talks. That's a pathetic excuse as to why he didn't make a fuss long ago. He's a lawyer! He should know better.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by SFO777
Indeed. What a disgraceful response from UA.
I agree. The guy gets pushed to the ground by a now former employee that United acknowledges was way the heck out of line and who apparently had issues concerning controlling his temper and this is how he gets treated by management.

On a positive note, I truly hope UA learns from this and other incidents and that the situation improves.

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 27, 2017 at 5:42 pm
Old Jun 27, 2017, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by Duke787
Houston news is reporting that UA threatened to take away the man's mileage account and ban him from flying UA if he sued...

How did a claims official look at video and conclude that was the appropriate response? Unreal
​​​​​

Link: http://www.click2houston.com/news/ho...-deter-lawsuit
Unless this gentlemen has recorded phone conversations or written documentation of the "threat", I find this part of the story to be suspicious.

But I guess if he is suing for 1 Million, it doesn't hurt to make all sorts of accusations to pressure UA to settle. Make it sound as bad as possible in the press so he can get a sympathetic jury...
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
So that must be somewhere in the terms of service for Mileage Plus, that UA at its discretion can take your miles away?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SFO777
What a disgraceful response from UA.
Truly shameful.

Originally Posted by wco81
So that must be somewhere in the terms of service for Mileage Plus, that UA at its discretion can take your miles away?
Those are the rules of pretty much every loyalty program.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Without arbitration or some kind of process?

That would set them up for lawsuit.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Without arbitration or some kind of process?
Yes.

That would set them up for lawsuit.
It did. They won. See Northwest, Inc. v. Ginsberg.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
Unless this gentlemen has recorded phone conversations or written documentation of the "threat", I find this part of the story to be suspicious.

But I guess if he is suing for 1 Million, it doesn't hurt to make all sorts of accusations to pressure UA to settle. Make it sound as bad as possible in the press so he can get a sympathetic jury...
I find it very credible, and not surprising.

He named the United employee and her title. If he was not telling the truth, it would be used to impugn his credibility on other issues.

There is very clear video of the event. There is no need to make up stories to enhance his case. This just fits the pattern of United's attitude to their customers.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I guess the plaintiff did the math and decided that $1 million (or whatever portion will arrive through a settlement) was worth more than 2 million Mileage Plus miles and future flying on United.@:-)

Is there any place that United flies that couldn't be accessed by another carrier?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by transportprof
Is there any place that United flies that couldn't be accessed by another carrier?
not as much anymore, now that the E120 service in CA has been drawn down. however, RKS is one that comes to mind as UA only presently (from DEN).

i would certainly favor the $1M if it was that or the ability to fly UA. then again, i don't fly UA anymore and it hasn't killed me yet, so it's an easy decision.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:31 pm

You can be suspicious all you want, UA's response to the threat indicates otherwise.

When contacted by Channel 2 Investigates on this story, United Airlines spokesperson Charles Hobart got back to us right away with the following statement.

“We are taking a thorough look into what happened here and we reached out to our customer to apologize for what occurred.”
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr

Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
I find it very credible, and not surprising.

He named the United employee and her title. If he was not telling the truth, it would be used to impugn his credibility on other issues.

There is very clear video of the event. There is no need to make up stories to enhance his case. This just fits the pattern of United's attitude to their customers.
I am not referring to the video. The incident itself is indisputable.

I am refering to these new allegations of a "threat" by a UA rep. I'm sorry, I am not going to take the word of a lawyer personally involved in a civil suit as the gospel truth of what happened in a phone call between himself and the UA rep.

How would it impugn his credibility on other issues when there is no evidence to prove it either way? Just as you and others are taking his word on what transpired in his communications, I am not willing to accept it as "what happened" without corroborating EVIDENCE. If something comes out to corroborate his story, I will revise my position. Until then I remain skeptical.

Sure, I think he will get some $$$ from his lawsuit and should as the employee was acting under the UA umbrella when he assaulted the gentleman. However, I think the part of the story regarding the UA rep threatening to ban him from the airline may well just be posturing for a bigger payday.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by malgudi
You can be suspicious all you want, UA's response to the threat indicates otherwise.
When I read the article, it seems that the apology is for the incident in total, not the specifics of a "threat". I may be wrong, but the particular wording in the story leaves some ambiguity as to what the apology is addressing, other than the initial incident.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.