Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Forced to Check Carry-On Baggage when Plenty of Space On-Board

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Forced to Check Carry-On Baggage when Plenty of Space On-Board

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by Grog
UA "having the right to" and "being right in doing" are two different things. I was in Group 1 when UA did it to me. Second person to board the empty aircraft. Pro-active smo-active--they just don't seem to know what they're doing in this regard. All they did that day was needlessly irritate a *A Gold and end up having to give them $100 for their senselessness.
This happened to my wife a earlier this year and she was irate about it but at the time, I told her just accept it and move on. But the more I think about it, the more disappointed I am in UA and how inefficient and lacking in common sense UA GA's are...

As the OP correctly pointed out, what they did was wrong.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by alchemista
MSN-DEN
A319
plenty of space, no weight issue mentioned - only the lack of bin space by the desk agent and auto-check for boarding group 4.
plane was full so balance not an issue either.
With a small station like MSN, it's pretty easy for UA to make a correction on something like this. Mainline UA returned to MSN pretty recently, so I could see the GA's still being in regional mindset (check, check, check...). In either case, I agree that it sounds like a GA in a "my way or the highway" mindset, and the OP did not have many good options here.

OP -- I would politely write UA and let them know what happened in a concise email. They might throw some miles your way, but hopefully if nothing else they speak with the GA in question.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by Productivity
I'll agree group 1 is ridiculous.
So will I...really, CoC notwithstanding, if you're not on a CRJ or something similar where they're logistically limited, if any airline can't accommodate a full carry-on for at least Group 1, they're doing something wrong.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I've had this on DL. I arrived at the gate a little late for Sky Priority boarding and apparently the bins were all full on this 757 (PHX-ATL, so not buying the weight/balance issue). My rollerbag was given a mandatory bag tag which I ripped off part way down the jetway and sure enough there was huge amounts of space in both F and from what I could see in Y.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by Productivity
This is what I'd like to understand - honestly any number of things can eat out 20 minutes out of air travel. If you booked something that tight, it's on you not on the airline IMO.
I obviously have no idea, but one possibility is that some families are fairly strict about bedtimes for little kids, and having to pick up the bag pushed her into the post-bedtime zone.

On something like this, I think OP deserves the benefit of our taking her word for it.

Greg
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA
I also got forced to check in my carry-on baggage at the gate on my UA flight SFO-SEA, while I saw many people carried with bigger package which apparently exceeded the limit...
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yup. Rule 23(B)(2)(c) is a good starting place ("UA reserves the right to check a Passenger’s Carry-on Baggage for any reason").

Plus the complete absence of applicable DOT regulation. But let's not allow reality to get in the way of a good rant over a fairly minor issue
Thanks, this is interesting. You didn't put the full clause in here though which is:
UA reserves the right to check a Passenger’s Carry-on Baggage for any reason, including if the Carry-on Baggage cannot be safely stowed, or the Carry-on Baggage is not compliant with the Maximum Outside Linear Dimensions specified in section 2) above.

By giving those example reasons, it looks like United would be reasonable about this. Although, of course they have this complete catch-all.

In the next clause, a "diaper bag" is listed as not included in carry-on or personal item regulations. If someone wants to pay the terms-of-contract game, you could technically be OK with a large diaper bag since there is no definition of this in the contract.

Maybe I'll start traveling with diaper bags as my carry-on item with UA from now on.

btw - I tried to have the baggage claim office deliver my item with the rationale I shouldn't have to wait when I unnecessarily was forced to check my bag. That didn't go over well

Calculated time was 29 minutes waiting for my bag that United's rude desk agent cost me and several other passengers forced to wait for their baggage when it wasn't necessary.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by wolf72
It's funny. I have never flown an airliner in 30 years that was delayed because of bin spaces being full and bags needing to be sent down to the cargo hold.

This must be an american problem because quite frankly, this "problem" does not happen overseas.

Yes, I have seen gate agents stop passengers from time to time with bags they believe are oversized and should not be going into a cabin bin but..by en-large, what is wrong with UA and their staff?

Does this airline have some sort of problem with training their staff or do they just hire morons (union fault?) or do they just enjoy fighting with passengers all day long?

Bloody joke of an airline./
Nothing wrong with UA, they are simply running a business "efficiently"(as in, piss off just the right amount of people but not too many in order to generate the most revenue&profit).

Judging by the number of people (supposedly, paying pax not paid posters) spinning the facts around for UA in this very thread, UA has certainly mastered that black art and there could be a very bright future ahead of them.

Would suggest people to side with these masters by not flying them but follow ticker UAL closely which might just be the right combination to net you the most gain among airlines while cause you least trouble for your own travel.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by getagb
You could go to see your son, and then come back to the airport and get your bag. If you don’t take it from the baggage claim they’ll hold it in the baggage office.
good idea but impractical where I live. better compromise would have been them agreeing to deliver my bag without me having to wait or come back to pickup

Originally Posted by greg99
I obviously have no idea, but one possibility is that some families are fairly strict about bedtimes for little kids, and having to pick up the bag pushed her into the post-bedtime zone.

On something like this, I think OP deserves the benefit of our taking her word for it.

Greg
thanks, you were close. It's funny that people think I need to explain my family schedule in detail as if UA's behavior here was otherwise justified depending on how I needed my 29 minutes they stole from my evening...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 13, 2017 at 10:12 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:39 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
DL and AA have been aggressive doing this as well. No problems with overhead space now since they are forcing gate checks well before the bins are full. Even more reason to board early and lice the gate area. Frustrating for all.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
thanks, you were close. It's funny that people think I need to explain my family schedule in detail as if UA's behavior here was otherwise justified depending on how I needed my 29 minutes they stole from my evening...
Anyone who steps on a plane more than 2-3x a year is not even going to consider 29 minutes as something to become increasingly irate or dwell over.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Anyone who steps on a plane more than 2-3x a year is not even going to consider 29 minutes as something to become increasingly irate or dwell over.
False. I prove you wrong. In fact, I'm probably less accepting of wasted time because I travel so much. When you travel a lot and it is work time, you try to minimize all travel time.

It's one thing when travel delays are unavoidable - it's another when it was completely unnecessary and forced on me by a silly GA.

Last edited by alchemista; Jun 13, 2017 at 11:08 pm
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
It's funny that people think I need to explain my family schedule in detail
Well, in fairness, it's you who started the whole thread with "I'm livid right now due to missing seeing my son tonight "
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Well, in fairness, it's you who started the whole thread with "I'm livid right now due to missing seeing my son tonight "
I think that's a fair statement to express the issue without having to detail my family's schedule out for a bunch of random people on the Internet.

What time does your family all go to work and sleep, and what evening commitments and activities do you have for each of your friends & family?
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:20 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Westjet has been doing this however they spin it differently. They "offer" to check people's bags rather than force. People love it for the most part since they don't have to pay and for WS checking them before the bins ever fill up means less chance of a delay...better said, the delay gets put on us (the ground handlers) rather than them. It's rather frustrating to walk up to the bridge and see one of the first 10 passengers sauntering down the jetway with their tagged bag.

The other thing that gets me, this time as a passenger, is why is NO ONE ever told to use the space under the seat. I know no one WANTS to use that space, but most bags that get checked could fit under there, or a purse/backpack could be moved from the overhead under the seat to make room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.