Clearing R T-24

Old Jun 13, 2017, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Clearing R T-24

I believe the current policy is that you can't wait-list for R T-24 and you can't apply to clear available R T-3. I think this is correct? anyway has anyone found this policy to be flexible?
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
United's computer systems simply cannot support waitlisting within 24 hours. There's no way to override this because it's 1960's technologuy.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Yep, the waitlist expires at T-24 and transfers over to the Upgrade Standby List upon check-in. I've had GS pull an upgrade for me and waitlist me within T-24, but I believe the agent called the "airport desk" to manually add me to thr Upgrade Standby List. I also believe in Aero at the hub stations agents can pull an RPU and be added to the list. Within 3 hours of departure upgrades can no longer be booked into R/PN.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
United's computer systems simply cannot support waitlisting within 24 hours. There's no way to override this because it's 1960's technologuy.
This is simply not true. It's a business decision, made within the last year or so. There are all sorts of waitlists within 24 hours, and it's not hard to put someone onto any of them. UA has chosen no longer to allow it.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
This is simply not true. It's a business decision, made within the last year or so. There are all sorts of waitlists within 24 hours, and it's not hard to put someone onto any of them. UA has chosen no longer to allow it.
No waitlisting within T-24 has been the rule for years. What's changed is not clearing into open R beginning at T-3. That was likely implemented to stop queue jumping, since they seem incapable of implementing a better fix under Shares.

I wouldn't be surprised if the "no waitlisting" is a systems issue, though as boat9781 notes, agents are able to do it on an individual basis.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
not clearing into open R beginning at T-3.
When did this happen? My record close in time was a T-1:05 jump from J->F across 5 people into open ON space. I went through 3 phone agents till I got one to do it and I was worried the flight would go under gate control before they could finish. They ended up pulling a new GPU and refunding my original one.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boat9781
Yep, the waitlist expires at T-24 and transfers over to the Upgrade Standby List upon check-in. I've had GS pull an upgrade for me and waitlist me within T-24, but I believe the agent called the "airport desk" to manually add me to thr Upgrade Standby List. I also believe in Aero at the hub stations agents can pull an RPU and be added to the list. Within 3 hours of departure upgrades can no longer be booked into R/PN.
Nice post

Originally Posted by FL390
When did this happen? My record close in time was a T-1:05 jump from J->F across 5 people into open ON space. I went through 3 phone agents till I got one to do it and I was worried the flight would go under gate control before they could finish. They ended up pulling a new GPU and refunding my original one.
Fairly recently; IME GS agents used to communicate remotely with the gate agent so assuming an amenable gate agent, a GS could theoretically clear into PN/R right before the gate closed. I guess from boat9781's post that's dead for PN as well.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Update - I just waitlisted domestic (R not available) (after SDC) T-24 about 20 mins after without issue; so there must be a grace period as agent didn't say anything about having to force it...
Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Interesting discussion. I recently changed my MUA waitlisted flight around T-8. The agent said she had to uncheck me in, make the change, and then rewaitlist. Not sure if the fact the miles were already pulled make a difference. So as others noted, it can be done. I agree that the MUA policy expressly forbids WL within 24 hours though!
Old Jun 22, 2017, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
yeah, it can be done, but it is difficult. SDC and clearing into available 'R' or 'PN' is not a problem at all.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cfischer
clearing into available 'R' or 'PN' is not a problem at all.
until T-3.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.