Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What is the practical ability of running a webinar from a UC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2017, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus / Rapid Rewards

I am curious if the UC @ SFO or DEN offer places where you can work from. Specially be able to run a webinar without disturbing others. I am moving to a smaller city with flights out to SFO or DEN early and would like to work from the UC and hop on flights later in the day. Thanks for your input.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by kyssfan
I am curious if the UC @ SFO or DEN offer places where you can work from. Specially be able to run a webinar without disturbing others. I am moving to a smaller city with flights out to SFO or DEN early and would like to work from the UC and hop on flights later in the day. Thanks for your input.
Try renting a conference room. Otherwise - not an environment I would try to run a webinar in.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 12:17 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
According to United's lounge finder, there are no longer any UCs with conference rooms at SFO or DEN.

They started to phase them out, and renovated lounges don't seem to have them - back in 2016 they actually eliminated reservations and made them first-come first-served.

For airports with them the rate was once posted to be $60/hr, although a lifetime UC membership has a number of free hours.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 12:19 am

Programs: UA G
The internet connection in the UC is also pretty bad and most mobile carriers tend to be very congested at major airports; it's not likely to go well for your webinar.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 3:29 am

I agree with all previous comments about the cincerns of making this a practice however I have used the newer clubs 'phone booth' which have proved to work well for conference calls. I have not had any problems conducting webinars in my 4 years doing it.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:07 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Consider doing this out of an airport hotel - or a hotel very close to airport. I have had meetings out of the Montreal Marriott just in the area near reception. Hotels never ask or seem to mind and you can usually get a quiet place for cheap.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yeah, think about airport hotels. Either rent a room using a day rate or rent a small conference room. The latter will look more professional but won't give you some other advantages such as a private bathroom or night/stay credits in most chains.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:12 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
I'm going to echo Alex_Senchak.

I do webinars all the time from phone rooms, using the UC Wifi and a VOIP/video conference. Never had a problem.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus / Rapid Rewards
I appreciate the quick response from you all. I will give it a try and see how it goes. My main concern wasn't internet speed it was mainly professional courtesy of talking for 5 or 6 hours from a "phone booth" in the UC. I'll see you all out there.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by kyssfan
I appreciate the quick response from you all. I will give it a try and see how it goes. My main concern wasn't internet speed it was mainly professional courtesy of talking for 5 or 6 hours from a "phone booth" in the UC. I'll see you all out there.
5 or 6 hours?!

No offense, but taking one of those limited booths out of availability for that long is the exact opposite of professional courtesy to me. I'm pretty certain they were designed to make a call (or several), not become an office for the day.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 8:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
5 or 6 hours?!

No offense, but taking one of those limited booths out of availability for that long is the exact opposite of professional courtesy to me. I'm pretty certain they were designed to make a call (or several), not become an office for the day.
+1
I can't believe this is even being asked. Of course it's inappropriate.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
Well in addition who wants to be on a 5-6 hour webinar!?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Eadward
Well in addition who wants to be on a 5-6 hour webinar!?
HA! Agreed. I have a feeling the OP is talking about running 5 or 6 of them back to back, which is even more of a reason to be at an airport hotel.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
There's a Westin attached to DEN now at the south end of the terminal. I would just reserve a conference room there and then be at concourse B ~5 minutes after my last webinar was concluded.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: UA GS; Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott, Hyatt; Hertz
There are some spots at SFO that might actually be quieter than the UC if you are willing to go outside of security, IIRC near the international food court area (terminal G).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.