Wiki Posts
Search

Why ITO-LAX, not ITO-SFO?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold
Why ITO-LAX, not ITO-SFO?

I just realized this when planning my travel to the Big Island. It seems funny to me that United flights to ITO (Hilo) from LAX instead of their west coast hub SFO. Has it been always like this? Is there a reason?
Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
As is always the answer for questions like this. Demand. Apparently more O/D pax in LAX want to go to ITO than in SFO. My guess is that its a bit more secluded and more private residences for the LAX crowd.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by nevansm
As is always the answer for questions like this. Demand. Apparently more O/D pax in LAX want to go to ITO than in SFO. My guess is that its a bit more secluded and more private residences for the LAX crowd.
That's true, and I can totally imagine that LAX pax will be able to sustain this nonstop flight. However, I would have thought that running ITO-SFO would at least do as well as ITO-LAX, if not better, as there are way more feeder traffic. Why isn't it true?
Old Jun 11, 2017, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
They did it a few times 2011-2013, so I suspect they just couldn't make it work.

Maybe similar to why theres LAX-MEL/BJX but no SFO-MEL/BJX.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
My question exactly.... I usually go SFO/KOA since I don't like the connections or timing of LAX/ITO. IIRC LAX/ITO was an old CO route that they just kept on.....
Old Jun 12, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
UA prefers SFO over LAX unless there is a massive gap in O&D. For traffic to "business cities" like SIN or PVG, the difference is smaller due to SFO's large tech industry. For more "leisure" and VFR cities, the difference can be massive because the LA area has a much larger population than the Bay Area. MEL is probably the exception to this rule because SFO-MEL is pushing the range on the Dreamliner, and UA did not know the capabilities of the Dreamliner a few years ago like it does today. UA credited LAX-MEL as being the reason they knew the Dreamliner could handle SFO-SIN.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 11:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DA201
UA prefers SFO over LAX unless there is a massive gap in O&D. For traffic to "business cities" like SIN or PVG, the difference is smaller due to SFO's large tech industry. For more "leisure" and VFR cities, the difference can be massive because the LA area has a much larger population than the Bay Area. MEL is probably the exception to this rule because SFO-MEL is pushing the range on the Dreamliner, and UA did not know the capabilities of the Dreamliner a few years ago like it does today. UA credited LAX-MEL as being the reason they knew the Dreamliner could handle SFO-SIN.
indeed. The success of LAX-MEL that even sent VA running for the hills for a while before recently resuming probably emboldens UA to attempt LAX-BNE and SFO-MEL in the near future.

I mean UA's partner AC manages to fly YVR to all 3 Australian coastal cities so I don't see why UA couldn't.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BAEC Gold
I may be wrong but I don't think SFO-ITO is a big leisure market? My company sends a fair number of employees (maybe 100 trips per month mostly Y class) SFO-ITO but I was never once able to take this flight while it existed because of the once per week schedule. I had to connect through LAX or HNL instead. A more business-friendly schedule might have made the flight more successful?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 4:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by btbx11
My company sends a fair number of employees (maybe 100 trips per month mostly Y class) SFO-ITO
So I'm curious what business sends that many trips to ITO . . . related to the University? I'm guessing this is what drives LAX-ITO.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
The business/cultural/VFR ties to the east side of the Big Island are more SoCal oriented. The SFO flight had a tourist-oriented schedule and it flopped. Hilo side isn't nearly as popular with vacationers.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 6:55 pm

Programs: Platinum
Is cargo from the Big Island to LAX a big thing? I imagine lots of fruits and flowers (properly irradiated for the Mediterranean Fruit Fly) might make the trip.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by frankmu
Is cargo from the Big Island to LAX a big thing? I imagine lots of fruits and flowers (properly irradiated for the Mediterranean Fruit Fly) might make the trip.
Since they're flying B738, I'd guess no. Very little cargo capacity after bags, no ULDs, etc.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:39 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Kacee
So I'm curious what business sends that many trips to ITO . . . related to the University? I'm guessing this is what drives LAX-ITO.
Mauna Kea astronomical complex: https://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/mko/telescope_table.shtml
Old Jun 12, 2017, 11:55 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
So I'm curious what business sends that many trips to ITO
Me too. Also, interested in contact in HR at said business(es) to express interest in opportunities
coolbeans202 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: MMH MVP Charter Member, UA 1K MM
Just flew an award Y trip on these flights. Easy upgrade both ways at the 1K window. In fact, at T-24 on the return, F was booked to 3/16. In the end the entire cabin was full with non-revs.

The return flight was coded as snack, but had choice of 2 hot entrees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.