Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Designing a Credit Card for United Elites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Designing a Credit Card for United Elites

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2017, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Ari
As a reminder, the Select still offers 10,000 PQM/year (5,000 for united.com purchases and 5,000 PQM for the $35,000 purchase threshold), so it is a good card for those who are dollar-rich but PQM-poor. And those are unrestricted PQMs (i.e. they count toward 1K).

But the card is, of course, only for those grandfathered in.
As far as I know, the Select Visa does not award 5k PQM for $35k spend. That was a feature of the even older Visa Platinum card. I recall switching from the Platinum card to the Select card when it came out because I determined that the Select card was better for my needs (low AF, 3X UA RDM, 5000 RDM bonus).

Old thread from 2009 when the Select card was introduced:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...dit-cards.html
Old Jun 11, 2017, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
As far as I know, the Select Visa does not award 5k PQM for $35k spend. That was a feature of the even older Visa Platinum card. I recall switching from the Platinum card to the Select card when it came out because I determined that the Select card was better for my needs (low AF, 3X UA RDM, 5000 RDM bonus).

Correct.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cfischer
My UA purchases go to Amex for 5x MR points ... unless UA brings a card product that matches that and offers additional perks ... I see no reason to get a UA card.
I put a fair number of tickets on my AMEX for the bonus as well.

But the Chase travel insurance benefits are much better, so I keep my fingers crossed nothing goes wrong on the AMEX ticketed-flights.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Originally Posted by mduell
Why bother using the SPG Amex at SPG properties? CSR gives 3x points on SPG hotel spend vs SPG Amex only gives 2x.
I'd still consider 2SPG points > 3 chase points...
Old Jun 11, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by entropy
I'd still consider 2SPG points > 3 chase points...
Indeed... I value SPG points at about 2.2 cents and Chase at closer to a penny... would much rather have 3 SPGs than 2 Chase points.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Wouldn't Chase have to agree on the benefits of a new card, since they're paying UA for those benefits? Or would they just pay whatever they're paying for the RDM's and the rest is at UA's discretion?
Old Jun 11, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I signed up for the Amex before the CSR came out and Amex offered Starpoints my way to retain me so I obliged. I also don't mind building a nice Starpoint balance because like UR, it is a valuable currency (at least through the end of this year).

Originally Posted by mduell
Why bother using the SPG Amex at SPG properties? CSR gives 3x points on SPG hotel spend vs SPG Amex only gives 2x.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Its also valuable to have a diversified set of points, even if some are more useful than others. I've had a time or two when even SkyPesos were immensely useful booking premium awards on AF and AZ for the exact times I needed.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 5:23 pm

Programs: United
The fact that any united card has less than 5mi/$ for united purchases is ridiculous. Using MPX and or a shopping portal it's not uncommon to get 15-20mi/$ for tons of stores. A paltry 2-3 miles per dollar for the cards namesake is just stupid - and it's not just united

I'd love to see a mid level visa signature card from united that included the following

5mi/$ on united purchases
2mi/$ on travel
1mi/$ on everything else
5 x 1 hour Inflight Internet Passes Annually
5 x One Time Club Passes Annually (Non transferable, tied to MP #)
Access to additional inventory (same as Explorer and Club Card)
Board in Group 2, but no priority baggage handling
$50 Annual Inflight Travel Credit

Annual free should be about $250
Old Jun 11, 2017, 5:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by svirfnebli
A paltry 2-3 miles per dollar for the cards namesake is just stupid - and it's not just united
There's a reason the rebate on most credit cards caps out at about 2%, and it's not "stupid." It's called generating a profit vs. operating at a loss.

The fact that some retailers are currently willing to bonus higher tells you something about (a) retail margins, and (b) the relative desperation of the brick & mortar retail chains.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
No, it's not.
Freedom Unlimited gives 1.5x everywhere.
CSR gives 3x on travel.

In general the co-brand cards have been outclassed by the escalating bank card wars.
Seems that way. I use Amex Platinum on actual DL purchases at 5x points. I use the DL Amex Plat to get MQM/Miles Boosts when all of that stuff is 1x on both anyways.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 7:33 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff

I apologize; you are correct. It is the old Platinum one. Now it just says "Mileage Plus Card" on it. It is a Visa Signature card. $140 annual fee still. Still works.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AC 25K, Marriott LT Platinum
I'm a 1K member with both the Club Card and the Select Card. To me the greatest FF benefit is upgrades, which as we all know are much harder to get these days, even with RPUs/GPUs. UA still takes cash for upgrades, but it only makes sense if you can get an agent to waive the change fee per GG BUYUP.

I've honestly been thinking about cancelling these cards and getting an ordinary cash back card, and then using the cash back to pay for my upgrades.

Theoretically you can redeem miles for $0.01 each via the Choices program, but it only applies to united.com purchases. I don't think it applies to buyups where you have to call the 1K desk, which is often the case for me, since for some reason united.com rarely offers me a cash upgrade ("online upgrade not available").

So there you have it - the only way to get upgrades with a credit card may be to forget Chase/United cards and just get good, old-fashioned cash back.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 1:36 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by svirfnebli
The fact that any united card has less than 5mi/$ for united purchases is ridiculous. Using MPX and or a shopping portal it's not uncommon to get 15-20mi/$ for tons of stores. A paltry 2-3 miles per dollar for the cards namesake is just stupid - and it's not just united

I'd love to see a mid level visa signature card from united that included the following

5mi/$ on united purchases
2mi/$ on travel
1mi/$ on everything else
5 x 1 hour Inflight Internet Passes Annually
5 x One Time Club Passes Annually (Non transferable, tied to MP #)
Access to additional inventory (same as Explorer and Club Card)
Board in Group 2, but no priority baggage handling
$50 Annual Inflight Travel Credit

Annual free should be about $250
3/2/1 mileage earning is common enough out there (as is 3/1/1). Aside from Amex and their odd system, does anyone have a more generous offering (aside from the bank cards themselves)?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That and Amex is trying desperately to keep the platinum card attractive for air purchases.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.