Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Incident w/ pro tennis player, too many carryon items/oversized bag & "aggressive GA"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Incident w/ pro tennis player, too many carryon items/oversized bag & "aggressive GA"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2017, 12:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kmxu
The picture with UA sizers does not show that the total length (L+W+D) of the tennis bag was exceeded. If this was true, the GA did not enforce the UA policy. She made up her own policy. The GA should be retrained, to put it mildly.
the policy for carry-on is
Carry-on Baggage must not exceed the Maximum Outside Linear Dimensions of 9 inches (22 cm) x 14 inches (35 cm) x 22 inches (56 cm), which includes its wheels and handles. Personal items must not exceed 9 inches (22 cm) x 10 inches (25 cm) x 17 inches (43 cm), which includes any wheels and handles. A personal item that exceeds these maximum linear dimensions but is not greater than 9 inches (22 cm) x 14 inches (35 cm) x 22 inches (56 cm) will be considered as Carry-on Baggage. Carry-on Baggage or personal items suspected of being oversized may require being placed into a sizing unit to determine acceptability.
the older L+W+D for carry-on has been gone for a some time. The total linear inch approach is still used in cases for checked bags.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by kb9522
If it were the case, she should have handled it and made sure she was compliant prior to getting to the gate. If this occurred prior to the start of boarding, then yeah, the fire drill should be permitted considering she is 1K. After the start of boarding, all bets are off... you don't get to delay others (who may also be UA elites) because of your poor planning.
I'm sure since she's 1K she has gotten away from the rules for quite some time, yes? Check-in agents should also be somewhat responsible
Old Jun 9, 2017, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
United's own website states: "United accepts one item of tennis equipment as checked baggage or carry-on baggage. An item of tennis equipment consists of one tennis racket case containing tennis rackets and balls."

Emphasis added.
That rule also doesn't say that each individual tennis racket counts as one carry-on item. The agent was wrong.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by chollie
That rule also doesn't say that each individual tennis racket counts as one carry-on item. The agent was wrong.
Where does it say that it is exempt from carry on restrictions if brought as a carry on?

Edit:
Kids rackets and smaller adult rackets would fit the sizer. This passenger had larger rackets which didn't. So checked baggage it is.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also known as "enforcing the rules".
To what end?
Old Jun 9, 2017, 1:05 pm

You agreed to a set of rules when you chose to fly with <insert carrier>. You do not get to unilaterally decide those rules no longer apply.

Last edited by l etoile; Jun 9, 2017 at 1:15 pm Reason: Removed deleted quotes
Old Jun 9, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by smxflyer
They have a policy allowing tennis rackets as carry on. I've done it multiple times without issue. How else is one supposed to travel with rackets? They are way too prone to damage to travel in checked luggage.
I'm able to travel with much more valuable and fragile photo equipment as checked luggage.

*lightbulb*
Old Jun 9, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
..I did a bit of quick math. In order to get a 29" racquet to fit in the sizer in the length dimension (22" limit) it would have to be rotated about 40.7deg. With that rotation it would be 18.89" in the height dimension (14" limit).

Edit:
Also just realized she could use the width to her advantage. The diagonal would be ~23.8" allowing her to reduce the angle of the racket to about 35deg. But even in this case the racquet would be more than 2.5" too tall. And this is for a single racquet. Obviously stacking more of them reduces the usable diagonal length.
The long diagonal length of a prism that is 9x14x22 is 27.6". So if the person (who appears to be on the small side) uses a 27" racquet, it might just fit. Hard to know because the curvature of the head of the racquet makes the 'straight line' formula I used not perfect. But I think it just might barely fit. But multiple racquets in the same bag? not likely.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: formerly UA GS, now lowly MM lifetime gold :(
So many of the comments here miss the entire point. United's front line staff continue to have a major customer service problem. They are too focused on rigidly enforcing their interpretation of "the rules" and not focused enough on providing actual customer service and being a problem solver.

The whole company needs a culture change.

Last edited by osxanalyst; Jun 9, 2017 at 2:10 pm
Old Jun 9, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by osxanalyst
So many of the comments here miss the entire point. United's front line staff continue to have a major customer service problem. The are too focused on rigidly enforcing their interpretation of "the rules" and not focused enough on providing actual customer service and being a problem solver.

Sorry, but I could not resist a good math arguement

But yes, you are spot on. The mentality of many UA staff is that of being a police officer. They seem to put endless effort into enforcing rules, but little effort into ensuring customer satisfaction. Yet this is not an either or proposition. Look at Lufthansa. NO ONE is more rule focused than a German! Yet they still provide great customer service.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: formerly UA GS, now lowly MM lifetime gold :(
Originally Posted by blueman2

But yes, you are spot on. The mentality of many UA staff is that of being a police officer. They seem to put endless effort into enforcing rules, but little effort into ensuring customer satisfaction. Yet this is not an either or proposition. Look at Lufthansa. NO ONE is more rule focused than a German! Yet they still provide great customer service.
A fabulous example. Agree completely.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But yes, you are spot on.
The mentality of many UA staff is that of being a police officer. They seem to put endless effort into enforcing rules, but little effort into ensuring customer satisfaction. Yet this is not an either or proposition. Look at Lufthansa. NO ONE is more rule focused than a German! Yet they still provide great customer service.
A good point.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
-----

From the Facebook photos he [sic] had a red bag, a brown bag and a black bag (backpack?).....that's three carryons with stuff sticking out. ....
You should actually read the full account. Then you would know for example, that it was "she" and not a "he." But more importantly, you would also know there were only two bags originally.

We know that the sizer is actually an inch bigger than the 22X14X9

15^2 + 23^2 = tennis bag diagonal ^2

So that gets you 27.45 inches. But that's only if you place it perfectly upright and straight. If you angle it within all 3 dimensions, you get another inch. So I don't see why a tennis bag wouldn't fit.....

The tennis player loses my sympathy by uttering the "D" word, without any evidence given. It's one thing to call someone out for being nasty. But calling them racist or discriminatory without clear evidence is not OK.

edit: I see blueman, et al did the calculations while I was typing. Clearly, there are many who are faster at math than I....

Last edited by porciuscato; Jun 9, 2017 at 2:39 pm
Old Jun 9, 2017, 2:41 pm

The long diagonal length of a prism that is 9x14x22 is 27.6". So if the person (who appears to be on the small side) uses a 27" racquet, it might just fit. Hard to know because the curvature of the head of the racquet makes the 'straight line' formula I used not perfect. But I think it just might barely fit. But multiple racquets in the same bag? not likely.
Revisited my drawing, you're correct. The diagonal is 27.586".

The conclusion is still the same though. I saw somewhere her rackets were 29" long. And definitely with the bag and other rackets stacked on it, no chance it fits.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by osxanalyst
So many of the comments here miss the entire point. United's front line staff continue to have a major customer service problem. They are too focused on rigidly enforcing their interpretation of "the rules" and not focused enough on providing actual customer service and being a problem solver.

I like this culture. Too many passengers get away with breaking the rules, and it causes a headache for others in the cabin.

It's simple, make sure you're flying in accordance with UAs policy, and you won't have to deal with these issues.

We should be more outraged by the GAs who let Fatso McGee and his three oversized carry ons onto the plane, where he plops all three into the first overhead in F and waddles his way down to row 24 where sits down in the middle seat (the only one he's paid for) and promptly raises both armrests.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 9, 2017 at 3:10 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.