Wiki Posts
Search

UA 869 Meal Timing (SFO-HKG)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:52 am
cnk
Original Poster

UA 869 Meal Timing (SFO-HKG)

I'm taking UA 869 in a few days. Since I'm traveling with my kids, I'm trying to figure out the best schedule for them to sleep during the flight. Does anybody know offhand about what time they'll do meal service(s) so that I can plan around them?

I'm thinking that I'd like them to nap early in the flight so that they'll be tired and ready to sleep when we land in the evening, Hong Kong time. But I don't want to encourage them to sleep when they'll miss a meal.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
What cabin are you in?

Almost without exception the meal service on every UA flight starts about an hour in, and again an hour + before landing. If you are in C, you can likely ask for a meal service later......
Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Yep, its always fun to eat breakfast in the "evening". Meal in J typically takes about 2-3hrs from take off. Breakfast starts about 1.5hrs before landing. Y is typically quicker. Note if there is poor weather the meal times may shift a little to make it safer for the FAs.

Most people on the plane follow the pattern of going to sleep right after the meal and waking up sometime between then and breakfast.

However, it is best to switch to the destination time as early as possible. That pretty much means sleeping through the beginning of the flight and waking up after the meal service so that may not be practical. If it were me, I'd try to wake up early in the flight so that I'm tired by the time I get to the hotel in HKG. Sacrifice some sleep time on the plane for a better nights rest in the hotel. Now if you're in Y, you might want to just eat before the flight and skip the meal. I'd rather be hungry than have a stomach ache or worse.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 10:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I usually skip the pre-arrival meal. The food's much better in Hong Kong
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Kacee
Well, the bowl of congee before arrival is nice but half the time they don't prepare it right and there's nothing worse than cold congee.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Do they still do the midflight noodles? If so, that could also factor into things.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
How much sleep are they used to and how well do they sleep on planes?

Personally, I am able to fall asleep pretty easily, so I would sleep right after the first meal for 5 hours-ish. It's a 14 hour flight, so I would wake up around halfway through the flight. This would correspond to a little before noon Hong Kong time, but I would be able to sleep again after I land at 10 or whenever because it would not have been a full night's sleep. If you do this, then don't get a full night of sleep before the flight so it won't be a problem to fall asleep at 3:30 pm SFO time.

Prioritize whatever best matches their sleeping patterns. If you are up front, you can move your meal time, and if you are in the back, you can bring food and there are pretzels and sandwiches out in the back galley (at least from my experience there are on long-haul routes).
Old Jun 7, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
If you are in economy................

1 hour after takeoff, you will get a meal. Meal is based on the time at departure airport.

1.5 hours from landing you will get a snack. Snack is based on the time at arrival airport.

The time in-between the crew will not be serving. If you want a drink or anything you need to get it yourself from galley or (harder) get the eye contact of a FA walking around.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by N1120A
Do they still do the midflight noodles? If so, that could also factor into things.
When I took it 2 weeks ago, no mid-flight noodles were offered, just the grilled cheese and tomato soup.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by fgirard
When I took it 2 weeks ago, no mid-flight noodles were offered, just the grilled cheese and tomato soup.
I guess that must be a polaris change.

I assume the sandwich is "pre-grilled"? Even the bottom of the coffee pot probably isnt hot enough
Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by eng3
I guess that must be a polaris change.

I assume the sandwich is "pre-grilled"? Even the bottom of the coffee pot probably isnt hot enough
Yes it was, and the soup was served in a coffee mug, and was not very hot either.

Couldn't UA buy a panini press and plug it into the accessory plug in the galley?
Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by The smallest state
The time in-between the crew will not be serving. If you want a drink or anything you need to get it yourself from galley or (harder) get the eye contact of a FA walking around.
On TATL that's correct, on TPAC they'll pass out a sandwich + candy (Kit-Kat, M&Ms, etc).

Originally Posted by N1120A
No, its some sort of sandwich now (turkey, veg, tuna).
Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:39 pm

They can do anything. It just has to get certified. That $100 panini press ends up costing millions. how about install a deep fryer too?
Old Jun 7, 2017, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The smallest state

1 hour after takeoff, you will get a meal. Meal is based on the time at departure airport.
Unless it is bumpy. On my last 2 TATL flights, dinner wasn't served until 3 hours into the flight due to turbulence.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Kacee
+1 Even the crappy food at HKG is still better than in-flight meals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.