Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Flying to Israel via Frankfurt, what do I need to know about the connection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2017, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K, HH Diamond, SPG Plat

United to Frankfurt, and a United/Lufthansa code-share from Frankfurt to Tel Aviv. Do I need to pick up my checked bag and go through customs? Do I need to go through security again? Any other advice?

Last edited by mazzer; Jun 4, 2017 at 6:21 am Reason: Correcting a spelling mistake
Old Jun 4, 2017, 6:26 am

Programs: UA GS (1.9MM), Hilton Diamond
Israel - EWR (through FRA)

I am doing same through MUC....long layover....Global Svcs told me i could check bags straight through....i hope they are right!!
Old Jun 4, 2017, 6:30 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Bags go through, be prepared for a long walk in FRA and a long connecting flight to TLV in a coach seat even if you are booked in J.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 6:30 am
Original Poster

I should add, my layover is under two hours.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
If the flight is booked together as one ticket, then your bags will indeed be checked all the way through TLV. You do need to re-clear security but not customs. The only reason you would need to clear customs is if you choose to spend some time in Germany during your layover. How long is your layover?

ETA: I see you said 2 hour layover. Bags will be checked through. You must re-clear security. No customs/immigration.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
... be prepared for a long walk in FRA and a long connecting flight to TLV in a coach seat even if you are booked in J.
This is one routing and connection that I would avoid like the plague.
Even with an open middle seat, four hours in a coach seat on a C or F ticket is ridiculous.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777
Even with an open middle seat, four hours in a coach seat on a C or F ticket is ridiculous.
Unfortunately I realized that after booking the ticket ... For future reference, are any of the other connections in Europe any better?

Originally Posted by joshwex90

ETA: I see you said 2 hour layover. Bags will be checked through. You must re-clear security. No customs/immigration.
Thanks. I assume that is not enough time to get into a lounge.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 4, 2017 at 5:24 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Jun 4, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by mazzer
Unfortunately I realized that after booking the ticket ... For future reference, are any of the other connections in Europe any better?
BA has lie-flat seats from LHR to TLV and TK has a nice lounge and usually 2+2 business seating (and at least it's only 2 hours in a narrow-body) LY also typically has lie-flats from LHR and usually CDG.

Note that at FRA you'll have to go through security at the gate so if you want to go to the lounge near the gate you'll have to go through security twice. Keep that in mind for timing purposes.

Swiss and BA are the only European carriers that fly proper long-haul J products to TLV.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Thanks. I assume that is not enough time to get into a lounge.
​​​​​​​Depends on a number of factors, primarily:
  1. How much time between when you re-clear security and your flight (which will change based on if your first flight is early/late and line at security)
  2. How far is the lounge from the gate
If I had 2 hours (net), I'd absolutely head to the lounge. If I had 2 hours (gross) which turned into 40 minutes, with a walk to the gate, I'd skip the lounge.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
LX has A333 lie flat seat service from ZRH-TLV.
But the best *A option may be TK with numerous daily IST-TLV flights including lie flat 77W.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Swiss and BA are the only European carriers that fly proper long-haul J products to TLV.
SU (Aeroflot) also has a few flights on A330 and 77W flying SVO-TLV.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Personally, I find ZRH and MUC better for connections than FRA.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
In Economy or Business? In Economy, connecting via FRA is fine.

In business, why would you connect in Europe at all? UA is soon offering true Polaris on this route from EWR.

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
TK do as well. On some flights they are lie-flat. On others they are recliners which are fine for the <2 hour flight. Only real catch is the electronics ban on the return flight, although they are offering loaner laptops if you're in C, plus free internet.

United to Frankfurt, and a United/Lufthansa code-share from Frankfurt to Tel Aviv. Do I need to pick up my checked bag and go through customs? Do I need to go through security again? Any other advice?
Other than some additional security at the gate (common for flights to TLV from anywhere), it's no different to most any other international->international connection at FRA.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO777
OP's best hope is for a bulkhead seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.