Unplugged even during boarding??

Old Jun 2, 17, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 2017: UA 1K, Hyatt "Glob" (ugh, for the last year probably), Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Unplugged even during boarding??

So today on IAD-DEN in 1B I got reprimanded for charging my phone during boarding... I understand the rules once the door has closed, but I was the 3rd person on the plane - and was quick to chide me "don't plug that in!". Ok.. 25 minutes and we're still boarding and was hoping to get a bit of a charge in. Never seen a FA this angsty about the plug-in rule, and I thought it only applied once the door has closed??
Old Jun 2, 17, 6:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is this a special UA rule? I always have my phone plugged in on DL flights (assuming that I can find a working outlet at my seat) and the only requirement I know is to switch it to airplane mode when the door closes.
Old Jun 2, 17, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 2017: UA 1K, Hyatt "Glob" (ugh, for the last year probably), Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Is this a special UA rule? I always have my phone plugged in on DL flights (assuming that I can find a working outlet at my seat) and the only requirement I know is to switch it to airplane mode when the door closes.
Seems to be. They always make me unplug during taxi and takeoff, but this is the first time during boarding.
Old Jun 2, 17, 6:20 pm

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Club Carlson Gold
UA definitely makes the "small lightweight devices must be unplugged" announcement for takeoff and landing.

Another ridiculous UA rule? thought maybe this was an FAA thing
Old Jun 2, 17, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by tcp1 View Post
Seems to be. They always make me unplug during taxi and takeoff, but this is the first time during boarding.
Get a dark cord so they can't see it so easily.

Seriously, though they def shouldn't be plugged in for takeoff/landing so cords don't potentially hinder evacuation.
Old Jun 2, 17, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
takeoff/landing. sure, but during boarding? Absurd.
Old Jun 2, 17, 6:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
The reason for the takeoff / landing rule is potential interfering with emergency evacuations. Same reason things can not be on the floor in the row at those times.

As for this case, the FA was perhaps being a bit overzealous (with a "personal rule") but if it could be a issue for someone boarding / getting to their seat (especially since the OP was in an aisle seat), it does at least have a potential reason for suggesting to wait a bit until airborne.
Old Jun 2, 17, 6:26 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Then shouldn't the rule be to stow the cords and not just unplug the device from the charging outlet?
Old Jun 2, 17, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by demkr View Post
UA definitely makes the "small lightweight devices must be unplugged" announcement for takeoff and landing.

Right, but during boarding? The OP's report seems a rogue FA IME; I've never seen them tell anyone they can't plug in during boarding.
Old Jun 2, 17, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Exactly. I have no qualms about unplugging once the door has closed and I always do. But boarding had just started and I had just sat down (2 GS's and I was first on from G1). We clearly had a good 25+ minutes until the door closed, and she was on me immediately. I understand the rationale, but this seemed to be yet another incident of UA FAs making up their own rules just for sport. It's not like it was obvious either, cord was tucked in by the armrest and I was holding the phone; 1A was as of yet unoccupied. We're talking a standard 1"x1" iPhone charger.
Old Jun 2, 17, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I've never had/seen a problem with charging during boarding. Once the door closes and the safety brief starts, that's when they ask for people to unplug.
Old Jun 2, 17, 7:27 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by findark View Post
I've never had/seen a problem with charging during boarding. Once the door closes and the safety brief starts, that's when they ask for people to unplug.
Agreed.

Can someone in the know tell us what the rule is?
Old Jun 2, 17, 7:43 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Is this a special UA rule?
No. It was one rogue FA.
Old Jun 2, 17, 8:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: 1K---2,909,450 BIS miles
Originally Posted by iluv2fly View Post
Agreed.

Can someone in the know tell us what the rule is?
It's in the same F/A manual section as, "Sorry sir, we cannot serve pre-departure drinks today because of state laws!"
Old Jun 3, 17, 12:57 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, Omni Black, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
What an idiot FA. People making personal rules are obnoxious.

Originally Posted by demkr View Post

This is not an FAA rule. In fact, AA has plugs active during all phases and has no such rule. This is a United thing.

Search this Thread