Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2017, 4:34 pm

Going in coach on that flight would be a special circle of hell
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by claaaaaydavis
Going in coach on that flight would be a special circle of hell

yet thousands of people will manage just fine.
JNelson113 and Kmxu like this.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by rankourabu

The 789 that UA is flying has seats that have personal space (arm-rests plus seat cushion) that is .2" narrower than on a 737 (19.8" vs. 20" of width per passenger).

Given that United carries lots of big, fat Americans, the idea of being on United's tin can for that length of time is a non-starter. I can spend more, and have options. You are welcome to it though.
kittiyut likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum

^^^ (and thousand of B787s are configured at 3x3x3).
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: UA
Seat Recline (or lack thereof)

Was shocked when I checked the seat config on the 787-9 on learned that the recline in E+ is only 4"!!! On the -8 it's 6".

I hope this is the last time I have to fly on this a/c.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL

define "fine".

Plenty of humans packed into cargo holds of ships arrived in the United States "fine", in the sense they were still living upon arrival.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 3:51 pm

Puhleeze! Let's not get carried away ... thousands of passengers fly in coach everyday and are not just "still living upon arrival". If First Class is your thing, all power to you.

Originally Posted by drewguy
define "fine".

Plenty of humans packed into cargo holds of ships arrived in the United States "fine", in the sense they were still living upon arrival.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 7:19 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
F Connect through NRT basically loses out 3300 LT miles, which is a big loss. I did see the fares of EWR-ICN through NRT and the OZ feeder to be much more affordable now.

Let's hope there will be some new fare basis to still allow people to get to SIN late at night.
if you consider flying on a world class carrier with free booze, free sake, real service, and real meals a "big loss" over .3% lifetime miles on some crappy airline, AND a layover that allows for real sushi and ramen eating, you really need to evaluate your priorities.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Exactly 40 years ago, my dad took me on a long trip. HKG to Mumbai to Middle East to London.

There were no direct flights from HK to London at the time, and I remembered sitting in the middle seat of the last row of the 747-100 (smokers' section) sandwiched between my dad (smoker at the time) and a mid-aged heavy smoker. The seat did not really recline because it was in the row in Y.

I remembered getting off in Mumbai while the plane was parked remotely away from the terminal and then we did another stop at an airport in the middle east (forgot which one), and I was so tired. My dad was about the same age I am now.

I remembered the heavy smoker talking over me to my dad about the technological advance in aviation and people can fly from London to HK in the comfort of the seats we were sitting and able to watch films on the overhead projection screen.

Fast forward 40 years later, I read people cannot fly long haul flights in 3x3x3 configuration of the 787 (standard configuration) and compare the experience to sitting in the cargo hold of a ship.

Life has changed and commercial aviation has evolved, and I have not flown transpac and transatlantic in a Y seat for the past ten years. (did SIN-MEL roundtrip in Y on SQ about 4 years ago, and my body came out in one piece).

I don't have a view on the debate of the sitting in UA's 787 Y on the LAX-SIN flight. I just want to share my experience of the flight I took 40 years ago in Y. That trip took more than 24 hours with the two fueling stops.
cur likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Exactly 40 years ago, my dad took me on a long trip. HKG to Mumbai to Middle East to London.

There were no direct flights from HK to London at the time, and I remembered sitting in the middle seat of the last row of the 747-100 (smokers' section) sandwiched between my dad (smoker at the time) and a mid-aged heavy smoker. The seat did not really recline because it was in the row in Y.

I remembered getting off in Mumbai while the plane was parked remotely away from the terminal and then we did another stop at an airport in the middle east (forgot which one), and I was so tired. My dad was about the same age I am now.

I remembered the heavy smoker talking over me to my dad about the technological advance in aviation and people can fly from London to HK in the comfort of the seats we were sitting and able to watch films on the overhead projection screen.

Fast forward 40 years later, I read people cannot fly long haul flights in 3x3x3 configuration of the 787 (standard configuration) and compare the experience to sitting in the cargo hold of a ship.

Life has changed and commercial aviation has evolved, and I have not flown transpac and transatlantic in a Y seat for the past ten years. (did SIN-MEL roundtrip in Y on SQ about 4 years ago, and my body came out in one piece).

I don't have a view on the debate of the sitting in UA's 787 Y on the LAX-SIN flight. I just want to share my experience of the flight I took 40 years ago in Y. That trip took more than 24 hours with the two fueling stops.
You may not have a view, but it sounds like you have perspective! Thanks for sharing.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Where's the award space on this new route =(
Searching for T-2 months out and nothing, even mid-week.
#ughhhhhh
Guess I'm flying through HKG
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by cur
if you consider flying on a world class carrier with free booze, free sake, real service, and real meals a "big loss" over .3% lifetime miles on some crappy airline, AND a layover that allows for real sushi and ramen eating, you really need to evaluate your priorities.
No. 1. I didn't persuade people to get on the UA no matter what because of the lifetime miles, I am just laying the facts. No. 2. If that's your logic, then you wouldn't set foot on UA TPAC leg either, because you can be on ANA which is a world-class carrier, and not worry about LT miles.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
I'm wondering how the new LAX-SIN service will draw passenger traffic away from the current SFO-SIN service.

For instance, I'm looking at flying SIN-US in E+ on 11/29 (I don't mind being in E+, to forestall all the "circle of hell" references ) and I notice that to SFO looks quite open whereas LAX is quite full. I would normally choose to go through LAX but if there's a better chance of an empty seat next to me (or major fingers crossed, a row to myself) I'm definitely going through SFO.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by JNelson113
I'm wondering how the new LAX-SIN service will draw passenger traffic away from the current SFO-SIN service.

For instance, I'm looking at flying SIN-US in E+ on 11/29 (I don't mind being in E+, to forestall all the "circle of hell" references ) and I notice that to SFO looks quite open whereas LAX is quite full. I would normally choose to go through LAX but if there's a better chance of an empty seat next to me (or major fingers crossed, a row to myself) I'm definitely going through SFO.
I would bet 'quite a bit'.

Having a good network of people in the LA area, I can count numerous times where they (and myself included) have flown Singapore Airlines to NRT and then onward to SIN. If there's a nonstop, we're all taking it. Not one of us would want to connect. It just saves that much more time.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
I would bet 'quite a bit'.

Having a good network of people in the LA area, I can count numerous times where they (and myself included) have flown Singapore Airlines to NRT and then onward to SIN. If there's a nonstop, we're all taking it. Not one of us would want to connect. It just saves that much more time.
Hard to say. I'm flying LAX-SIN on 11/22. When I booked that flight was wide open (right when UA announced flight). But now, probably thanks to the $384 RT fares, my flight has fewer empty seats in E+ than SFO. I originate in EWR, so a SDC might be difficult considering the transcons will probably be full the day before Thanksgiving.

Possible once UA raises fares out of LAX, you may see flights even out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.